Cytokines in Brain Ischemia—The Role of TNFα
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
1. The role of cytokines and other inflammatory mediators in the progression of ischemic brain injury is a new and exciting era of research. Evidence in support for a role for TNFα in this respect is emerging as evidence on de novo upregulation of TNFα following ischemia is now well established.
2. TNFα administered directly to the brain parenchyma elicits local microvascular injury in the form of pericapillary edema and leukocyte adhesion to cerebral capillaries.
3. TNFα administered into the cerebroventricular space prior to ischemia augment the extent of tissue damage and neurological deficits.
4. Specific and potent inhibitors of TNFα synthesis or TNFα receptors must be developed and tried to prove firmly a role for TNFα in ischemic brain injury.
- Feuerstein, G. Z., Ruffolo, R. R. (1994) Ticlopidine: a novel anti-platelet drug for prevention of thrombotic disorders. Expert Opinion. Invest. New Drugs 3: pp. 1163-1170
- Feuerstein, G., Liu, T. (1994) Cytokines, inflammation and the brain—The role of TNFα. Cerebrovasc. Brain Metab. Rev. 6: pp. 341-360
- Akira, S., Hirano, T. (1990) Biology of multifunctional cytokines:IL-6 and related molecules (IL-1 and TNF). FASEB J. 4: pp. 2860-2867
- Liu, T., McDonel, P. C. (1994) Tumor necrosis factor α expression in ischemic neurons. Stroke 25: pp. 1481-1488
- Wang, S. K., Yue, T.-I. (1994) Concomitant cortical expression of TNFα and IL-1β and RNA following transient focal ischemia. Mol. Chem. Neuropathol. 23: pp. 103-114
- Cytokines in Brain Ischemia—The Role of TNFα
Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology
Volume 18, Issue 6 , pp 695-701
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- brain ischemia
- tumor necrosis factor-α
- Industry Sectors