Telosomic mapping of the homoeologous genes for the long glume phenotype in tetraploid wheat
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Triticum turgidum ssp. polonicum and T. ispahanicum were characterized by the long glume phenotype. P 1 gene determines the long glume phenotype of T. polonicum, and locates on chromosome 7A. T. ispahanicum has shorter glume than T. polonicum and the long glumephenotype is determined by P 2 gene located on chromosome 7B. In the present study, aneuploid stocks of `Langdon' durum wheat were used to map the genes, P 1 and P 2. P 1 located on the long arms of chromosome 7A and its map distances from the centromere was 14.5 cM. On chromosome 7B, four loci located as cc (chocolate black chaff) – Pc (purple culm) – centromere – P 2 – cn-BI (chlorina). P 2 located on the long arms of chromosome 7B and its map distances from the centromere was 11.7 cM. It was suggested that a paralogous gene set conditions long glume phenotype in the homoeologous group 7 chromosomes. The P 1 and P 2 genes may be useful as genetic markers in tetraploid wheat.
- Chelak, V.R., 1978. Phylogeny of the Ispahan emmer wheat Triticum ispahanicum Heslot. Tsitologiya i Genetika 12: 323–330 (in Russian).
- Efremova, T.T., L.I. Laikova, V.S. Arbuzova, O.M. Popova & O.I. Maystrenko, 2001. Use of aneuploid analysis in chromosomal localization and wheat genes mapping. In: T.A. Pshenichnikova & A.J. Worland (Eds.), EuropeanWheat Aneuploid Co-operative Newsletter 2001, Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia & Cereal Research Department, John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK, pp. 115–118.
- Gale, M.D., C.N. Law, A.J. Chojecki & R.A. Kempton, 1983. Genetic control of β-amylase production in wheat. Theor Appl Genet 64: 309–316.
- Gandilyan, P.A., 1974. Experimental data on the secondary origin of certain species of the genus Triticum. Biol Zhurn Armenii 27: 58–65.
- Heslot, H., 1958. Triticum hispahanicum: une nouvelle espéce de Blé cultivé originaire d'Iran. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de L'Académie des Sciences 247: 159–161.
- Jakubtsiner, M.M., 1959. Novye ridy pshenitsy. Vestnik S.-kh. Nauki 12: 29–40 (in Russian).
- Joppa, L.R. & N.D. Williams, 1988. Langdon durum disomic substitution lines and aneuploid analysis in tetraploid wheat. Genome 30: 222–228.
- Kihara, H., K. Yamashita & M. Tanaka, 1956. A new strain of Triticum polonicum. Wheat Inform Serv 4: 3.
- Klindworth, D.L., M.M. Klindworth & N.D. Williams, 1997. Telosomic mapping of four morphological markers of durum wheat. J Hered 88: 229–232.
- Konzak, C.F. & L.R. Joppa, 1988. The inheritance and chromosomal location of a gene for chocolate chaff in durum wheat. Genome 30: 229–233.
- Kosambi, D.D., 1944. The estimation of map distance from recombination value. Ann Eugen 12: 172–175.
- Koval, S.F., S.I. Baiborodini & V.D. Fedotova, 2000. Interlocus interaction of chlorina mutant genes cn-A1 and cn-D1 in nearisogenic lines of spring wheat Novosibirskaya 67 (T. aestivum). Wheat Inform Serv 92: 1–4.
- Law, C.N., 1966. The location of genetic factors affecting a quantitative character in wheat. Genetics 53: 487–498.
- Martinek, P. & J. Bednar, 2001. Changes of spike morphology (multirow spike - MRS, long glumes - LG) in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and their importance for breeding. In: Proc Intl Conf Genet Coll, Isogenic and Alloplasmic Lines, pp. 192–194, Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Novosibirsk, Russia.
- MacKey, J., 1963. Species relationships in Triticum. In: J. MacKay (Ed.), Proc 2nd Intl Wheat Genetics Symp (Hereditas Supplementary Volume 2), pp. 237–276, Berlingska Boktryckeriet, Lund, Sweden.
- Miguschova, E.F. & P.M. Zhukovskii, 1969. K poznaniyu pschenitsy Triticum ispahanicum Heslot. Tr po Prikl Bot Genet i Selektsii 29: 71–79 (in Russian).
- Miller, T.E., 1987. Systematics and evolution. In: F.G.H. Lupton (Ed.), Wheat Breeding, Its Scientific Basis. pp. 1–30, Chapman and Hall, London, U.K.
- Watanabe, N., Y. Yotani & Y. Furuta, 1996. The inheritance and chromosomal location of a gene for long glume in durum wheat. Euphytica 91: 235–239.
- Watanabe, N. & H. Miura, 1997. P gene effects on the starch pasting property of tetraploid and hexploid wheat. Cereal Res Commun 25: 963–968.
- Watanabe, N., 1999. Genetic control of the long glume phenotype in tetraploid wheat by homoeologous chromosomes. Euphytica 106: 39–43.
- Watanabe, N., 2001. Development and use of near-isogenic lines of durum wheat cultivar LD222. In: T.A. Pshenichnikova & A.J. Worland (Eds.), EuropeanWheat Aneuploid Co-operative Newsletter 2001, Institute of Cytology and Genetics, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, Russia & Cereal Research Department, John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK, pp. 59–61.
- Telosomic mapping of the homoeologous genes for the long glume phenotype in tetraploid wheat
Volume 128, Issue 1 , pp 129-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- long glume
- near-isogenic line
- Triticum polonicum
- Triticum ispahanicum
- Industry Sectors