A Brief Overview of Special Education Law with Focus on Autism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article reviews the provisions of Individuals with Disabilities Education Act as they apply particularly to students with autism. It also refers to the antidiscrimination provisions of the Rehabilitation Act Amendments (Sec. 504) and to their relevance to students with autism. It attempts to answer specific questions posed by the National Academy of Science.
- DeShaney v. Winnebago, 489 U.S. 189 (1982).
- Final Regulations, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Amendments of 1997, 34 C.F.R. Part 300 (1999).
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, 20 U.S.C. Sec. 1400 et seq.
- Rehabilitation Act Amendments of 1975, 29 U.S.C. Sec. 974 (1996) (also known as Section 504).
- Youngberg v. Romeo, 457 U.S. 307 (1982).
- Sugai, G., Horner, R., Dunlap, G., Lewis, T., Nelson, M., Scott, T. et al. (1999). Applying positive behavioral support and functional behavioral assessment in schools. Lawrence, KS: OSEP Technical Assistance Center, Beach Center on Families and Disability, The University of Kansas.
- Turnbull, H. R., Stowe, M., Wilcox, B. L., Raper, C., & Hedges, L. P. (in press). The public policy foundations for positive behavioral interventions, strategies, and supports. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions.
- Turnbull, H. R., Turnbull, A. P., Wilcox, B. L., Sailor, W., & Wickham D. (1999). Positive behavioral interventions and supports under the Individuals with Disabilities Act. Lawrence, KS: Beach Center on Families and Disability, The University of Kansas.
- Turnbull, H. R., Turnbull, A., Wilcox, B., & Stowe, M. (2000). Free appropriate public education: The law and children with disabilities (6th ed.). Denver, CO: Love Publishing.
- Turnbull, H. R., Wilcox, B., Stowe, M., & Turnbull, A. Legal requirements for use of PBS: Guidelines for responsible agencies. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions (in press).
- A Brief Overview of Special Education Law with Focus on Autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 32, Issue 5 , pp 479-493
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Section 504
- Industry Sectors