Nonclassical Potential Symmetry Generators of Differential Equations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We determine the nonclassical potential symmetries for a number ofequations that arise in the literature. A large number of these areobtained for some equations which only admit a single potential(classical) symmetry (e.g., the wave equation and the motion of wavesthrough some medium). However, we show that some of the exact solutionsinvariant under the nonclassical potential symmetries are equivalent toknown solutions but these solutions are not obtainable through theclassical point or potential symmetries. The Korteweg–deVries equation,it is shown, does not admit nonclassical potential symmetries – as inthe classical case.
- Bluman, G. W. and Kumei, S., Symmetries and Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1989.
- Ibragimov, N. H., Transformation Groups Applied to Mathematical Physics, Nauka, Moscow, 1983 (Engl. transl., Reidel, Boston, MA, 1985).
- Olver, P. J., Applications of Lie Groups to Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1986.
- Ovsiannikov, L. V., Group Analysis of Differential Equations, Nauka, Moscow, 1978 (Engl. transl., Academic Press, New York, 1982).
- Bluman, G. W. and Cole, J. D., 'The general similarity solutions of the heat equation', Journal of Mathematics and Mechanics 18, 1969, 1025-1042.
- Clarkson, P. A. and Kruskal, M. D., 'New similarity reductions of the Boussinesq equation', Journal of Mathematics and Physics 30, 1989, 2201-2213.
- Olver, P. J. and Rosenau, P., 'The construction of special solutions to partial differential equations', Physics Letters A 114, 1986, 107-112.
- Ibragimov, N. H. (ed.), CRC Handbook of Lie Group Analysis of Differential Equations, Vol. 3, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1996.
- Bluman, G. W., Kumei, S., and Reid, G. J., 'New classes of symmetries for partial differential equations', Journal of Mathematical Physics 29, 1988, 806-811.
- Baumann, G., Symmetry Analysis of Differential Equations with Mathematica, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2000.
- Kara, A. H., Mahomed, F. M., and Changzheng, Q., 'Approximate potential symmetries for partial differential equations', Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General 33, 2000, 6601-6613.
- Nonclassical Potential Symmetry Generators of Differential Equations
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 167-177
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nonclassical potential symmetries
- Industry Sectors