Enhanced wear performance of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene crosslinked by organosilane
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) crosslinked by organosilane was thermal compression molded. The organosilane used was the tri-ethyloxyl vinyl silane. Its gelation, melting behavior, crystallinity, mechanical and wear-resisting properties were systematically investigated. The results showed that the gel ratio of UHMWPE increases with the incorporation of organosilane. At a low content of organosilane, the melting point and crystallinity of the crosslinked UHMWPE increase, and hence the mechanical and wear-resisting properties are improved. However, at a high content of organosilane, these performances of the crosslinked UHMWPE become worse. At 0.4 phr silane, the wear resistance of crosslinked UHMWPE reaches its optimum value.
- J. Charnley, in “Low friction arthroplasty of the hip: Theory and Practice” (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1979).
- E. C. Y. Ching, W. K. Y. Poon, R. K. Y. Li and Y. W. Mai, Polym. Eng. Sci. 40 (2000) 2558.
- P. H. Kang and Y. C. Nho, Radiat Phys. Chem. 60 (2001) 79.
- M. Deng and S. W. Shalby, Biomat. 18 (1997) 645.
- J. Suwanprateeb, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 75 (2000) 1503.
- C. Z. Liu, L. Q. Ren, J. Tong, T. J. Joyce, S. M. Green and R. D. Arnell, Wear 249 (2001) 31.
- H. Fujita, K. Ido, Y. Matsuda, H. Iida, M. Oka, Y. Kitamura and T. Naskamura, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 49 (2000) 273.
- L. Que and L. D. T. Topoleski, Polym. Eng. Sci. 50 (2000) 322.
- O. Breuer, A. Tzur, M. Narkis and A. Siegmann, J. Appl Polym. Sci. 74 (1999) 1731.
- N. Chang, A. Bellare, R. E. Cohen and M. Spector, Wear 241 (2000) 109.
- O. N. Tretinnikov, S. Ogata and Y. Ikada, Polymer 39 (1998) 6115.
- R. M. Gul, Eur. Polym. J. 35 (1999) 2001.
- F. W. Shen, H. A. Mckellop and R. Salovey, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 40 (1998) 71.
- M. Goldman and L. Pruitt, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 40 (1998) 378.
- O. K. Muratoglu, C. R. Bragdon, D. O. O'Connor, M. Jasty, W. H. Harris, R. Gul and F. Mcgarry, Biomat. 20 (1999) 1463.
- H. Marrs, D. C. Barton, R. A. Jones, I. M. Ward and J. Fisher, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. M. 10 (1999) 333.
- V. Permnath, A. Bellare, E. W. Merrill, M. Jasty and W. H. Harris, Polymer 40 (1999) 2215.
- S. Andjejic and R. E. Richard, Macromolecules 34 (2001) 896.
- H. Dong, T. Bell, C. Blawert and B. L. Mordike, J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 19 (2000) 1147.
- D. A. Baker, R. S. Hastings and L. Pruitt, Polymer 41 (2000) 795.
- G. Lewis, Biomat. 22 (2001) 371.
- A. J. Peacock, “Handbook of Polyethylene: Structures, Properties, and Applications” (Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 2000).
- J. R. Atkinson and R. Z. Cicek, Biomat. 24 (1983) 267.
- B. Wunderlich and C. M. Cormier, J. Polym. Sci. 5 Part A-2 (1967) 987.
- P. Hu, Y. X. Lu and Q. Zhan, Plastics 19(4) (1990) 11.
- S. K. Bhateja, Polymer 23 (1982) 654.
- M. Deng and W. S. Shalaby, J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 58 (1995) 2111.
- J. D. Hoffman, G. T. Davis and J. I. Lauritzen Jr. in “Treatise on Solid State Chemistry”, Vol. 3 edited by N. B. Hannay (Plenum Press, New York, 1976).
- V. A. Bely, A. I. Sviridenok, M. I. Petrokovets and V. G. Savkin, in “Friction and Wear in Polymer-Based Materials”, translated by P. Granville-Jackson (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1982).
- R. J. Wu, in “Surface and Interface of Polymer” (Academic Press, Beijing, 1998).
- Enhanced wear performance of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene crosslinked by organosilane
Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 11 , pp 1065-1069
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Kowloon, Hong Kong, P.R. China
- 2. Department of Chemistry, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430074, P.R. China
- 3. Department of Physics and Materials Science, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong, P.R. China
- 4. Department of Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Management, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong, P.R. China