Genetic Polymorphism of Russian, European, and Asian Chicken Breeds as Revealed with DNA and Protein Markers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The variation in polymorphic DNA (RAPD and minisatellite) and protein markers was compared for nine Russian chicken breeds differing in morphological and productivity types and in origin, three European egg breeds, and three meat breeds of the Asian origin. Genetic diversity indices were calculated for each breed group and each marker type and were used to construct dendrograms of genetic similarity. In all breed groups, minisatellites and RAPD markers revealed higher genetic diversity as compared with protein markers. With any type of markers, genetic diversity of the Russian and Asian meat breeds proved to be significantly higher than that of the European egg breeds. The differentiating potentialities of molecular and genetic biochemical markers at the breed level and the origin of the Russian chicken breeds are discussed.
- Romanov, M.N. and Weigend, S., Analysis of Genetic Relationships between Various Populations of Domestic and Jungle Fowl Using Microsatellite Markers, Poultry Sci. 2001, vol. 80, pp. 1057-1063.
- Ryskov, A.P., Multilocus DNA Fingerprinting in Population Genetic Studies of Biodiversity, Mol. Biol. (Moscow), 1999, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 997-1011.
- Kuhnlein, U., Dawe, Y., Zadworny, D., and Gavora, J., DNA Fingerprinting: A Tool for Determining Genetic Distances between Strains of Poultry, Theor. Appl. Genet., 1998, vol. 77, pp. 669-672.
- Semyenova, S.K., Filenko, A.L., Vasil'ev, V.A., et al., Use of Polymorphic Markers to Differentiate Chicken Breeds of Various in Origin, Genetika (Moscow), 1996, vol. 32, pp. 795-803.
- Hillel, J. et al., Biodiversity of Chickens Based on DNA Pools: First Results of the EC-Funded Project AVIAN-DIV, Poultry Genetics Symp., October 6-8, 1999 Mariensee, 1999, pp. 22-29.
- Weigend, S. and Romanov, M.N., Current Strategies for the Assessment and Evaluation of Genetic Diversity in Chicken Resources, World's Poultry Sci. J., 2001, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 275-288.
- Kutnyuk, P.I., Volokhovich, V.A., and Moiseeva, I.G., Elektroforeticheskii analiz belkov sel'skokhozyaistven-noi ptitsy. Metodicheskie rekomendatsii (Electrophoretic Analysis of Proteins in Poultry: Methodical Recommendations), Khar'kov, 1986.
- Semyenova, S.K., Vasil'ev, V.A., Morozova, E.V., et al., DNA Fingerprinting and Genetic Diversity of European Bison (Bison bonasus), American Bison (Bison bison) and Gray Ukrainian Cattle (Bos taurus), Genetika (Moscow), 2000, vol. 36, no. 11, pp. 1535-1546.
- Nei, M., Genetic Distance between Populations, Am. Nat., 1972, vol. 106, pp. 283-292.
- Moiseeva, I.G., Semyenova, S.K., Gorbacheva, N.S., et al., Study of the Chicken Breeds of Collection Farms of the Soviet Union, Usp. Sovrem. Genet., Dubinin, N.P., Ed., 1989, vol. 16, pp. 45-70.
- Moiseeva, I.G., Semyenova, S.K., Bannikova, L.V., and Filippova, N.D., The Genetic Structure and the Origin of the Orlov Old Russian Breed of Chicken, Genetika (Moscow), 1994, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 681-694.
- Final Report “Development of Strategy and Application of Molecular Tools to Assess Biodiversity in Chicken Genetic Resources, ” AVIANDIV, EC Contract no. BI04-CT98-0342, 2001, p. 28.
- Nikiforov, A.A., Moiseeva, I.G., and Zakharov, I.A., The Place of Russian Chicken Breeds in the Total Diversity of Eurasian Breeds, Genetika (Moscow), 1998, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 850-851.
- Semyenova, S.K., Moiseeva, I.G., Vasilyev, V.A., et al., Genetic Polymorphisms Estimated by DNA and Biochemical Markers in Old Russian Chicken Breeds, Biodiversity and Dynamics of Ecosystems in North Eurasia, 21-26 August, 2000 Novosibirsk, 2000, pp. 101-103.
- Crooijmans, R.P.M.A., et al., Microsatellite Polymorphism in Commercial Meat and Layer Lines Estimated Using Pooled Blood Samples, Poultry Sci., 1996, vol. 75, pp. 904-909.
- Vavilov, N.I., Five Continents, Leningrad: Nauka, 1987.
- Genetic Polymorphism of Russian, European, and Asian Chicken Breeds as Revealed with DNA and Protein Markers
Russian Journal of Genetics
Volume 38, Issue 9 , pp 1109-1112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute of Gene Biology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 119334, Russia
- 2. Vavilov Institute of General Genetics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 119991, Russia
- 3. All-Russia Research and Technological Institute of Poultry Farming, Sergiev Posad, Moscow oblast, 141300, Russia