Coral Reef Fish Assessment in the ‘Coral Triangle’ of Southeastern Asia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Icthyological results of four rapid assessment surveys are presented. The surveys were completed between 1997–1999 and were conducted at the following localities: Milne Bay (Papua New Guinea), Calamianes Islands (Palawan, Philippines), Togean–Banggai Islands (Sulawesi, Indonesia), and Weh Island (Sumatra, Indonesia). Surveys were conducted over periods ranging from 9 to 22 days and consisted mainly of underwater observations while scuba diving, supplemented with small rotenone and spear gun collections. Milne Bay was characterized by a high percentage of pristine reef environments and supported the largest number of species (1040). Diversity was generally lower at the Philippine and Indonesian sites due to more habitat homogeneity and higher fishing pressure, including the widespread use of illegal fishing methods, including cyanide and explosives.
- Allen, G.R. 1999a. Three new species of damselfishes (Pomacentridae) from Indonesia and eastern Papua New Guinea. Revue fr. Aquariol. 25 (1998: 3–4): 99–105.
- Allen, G.R. 1999b. Altrichthys, a newgenus of damselfish (Pomacentridae) from Philippine seas with description of a new species. Revue fr. Aquariol. 26 (1999: 1–2): 23–28.
- Allen, G.R. 2000. Threatened fishes of the world: Pterapogon kauderni Koumans, 1933 (Apogonidae). Env. Biol. Fish. 57: 142.
- Allen, G.R. & R.C. Kuiter. 1999. Descriptions of two newwrasses of the genus Cirrhilabrus (Labridae) from Indonesia. Aqua. J. Ichthyol. Aquat. Biol. 3(4): 133–140.
- Allen, G.R. & R.C. Steene. 1995. Notes on the ecology and behaviour of the Indonesian cardinalfish (Apogonidae) Pterapogon kauderni Koumans. Revue fr. Aquariol. 22(1–2): 7–9.
- Kuiter, R.C. & G.R. Allen. 1999. Descriptions of three new wrasses (Pisces: Labridae; Paracheilinus) from Indonesia and north-western Australia with evidence of possible hybridisation. Aqua. J. Ichthyol. Aquat. Biol. 3(3): 119–132.
- Vagelli, A. 1999. The reproductive biology and early ontology of the mouthbrooding Banggai cardinalfish, Pterapogon kaudermi. (Perciformes, Apogonidae) Env. Biol. Fish. 56: 79–92
- Vagelli, A.A. & M.V. Erdmann. 2002 First comprehensive ecological survey of the Banggai cardinalfish, Pterapogon kauderni. Env. Biol. Fish. 63: 1–8
- Werner, T.B. & G.R. Allen. 1998. A rapid biodiversity assessment of the coral reefs of Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea. RAP Working Papers 11, Conservation International, Washington, DC. 109 pp.
- Coral Reef Fish Assessment in the ‘Coral Triangle’ of Southeastern Asia
Environmental Biology of Fishes
Volume 65, Issue 2 , pp 209-214
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ichthyological surveys
- fish diversity
- Papua New Guinea