Johnson on the Metaphysics of Argument
- Leo Groarke
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper responds to two aspects of Ralph Johnson's Manifest Rationality (2000). The first is his critique of deductivism. The second is his failure to make room for some species of argument (e.g., visual and kisceral arguments) proposed by recent commentators. In the first case, Johnson holds that argumentation theorists have adopted a notion of argument which is too narrow. In the second, that they have adopted one which is too broad. I discuss the case Johnson makes for both claims, and possible objections to his analysis.
- Birdsell, David and Leo Groarke: 1996, ‘Toward a Theory of Visual Argument’, Argumentation and Advocacy 33.
- Gerritsen, Suzanne: 1994, ‘A Defence of Deductivism in Reconstructing Unexpressed Premises’, in F. H. van Eemeren and R. Grootendorst (eds.), Studies in Pragma-Dialectics, International Society for the Study of Argumentation, Amsterdam, pp. 00.
- Gilbert, Michael: 1997, Coalescent Argumentation, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ.
- Govier, Trudy: 1987, Problems in Argument Analysis and Evaluation, Foris, Dordrecht.
- Groarke, Leo: 1992, ‘In Defense of Deductivism: Replying to Govier’, in Frans van Eemeren et al. (eds.), Argumentation Illuminated, International Society for the Study of Argument, Amsterdam.
- Groarke, Leo: 1995, ‘What Pragma-dialectics Can Learn from Deductivism, and What Deductivism Can Learn from Pragma-dialectics’, in F. H. Van Eemeren, Rob Grootendorst, J. Anthony Blair and Charles Willard (eds.), Analysis and Evaluation, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Argumentation, Vol.II, International Society for the Study of Argumentation, Amsterdam, pp. 00.
- Groarke, Leo: 1999a, ‘The Fox and the Hedgehog: On Logic, Argument and Argumentation Theory’, ProtoSocioloty 13, 29–45.
- Groarke, Leo: 1999b, ‘Deductivism Within Pragma-Dialectics’, Argumentation 13, 1–16.
- Groarke, Louis: 2000, ‘A Deductive Account of Induction’, Science et Esprit 52
- Russell, D. A.: 1983, Greek Declamation, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Van Eemeren, Frans and Rob Grootendorst: 1992, Agrumentation, Communication, and Fallacies: A Pragma-Dialectical Perspective, Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale.
- Willard, Charles A.: 1989, A Theory of Argumentation, The University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa.
- Johnson on the Metaphysics of Argument
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 277-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- formal deductive logic
- kisceral arguments
- natural language deductivism
- Ralph Johnson
- the metaphysics of argument
- visual arguments
- Industry Sectors
- Leo Groarke (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Wilfrid Laurier University, 75 George Street, Brantford, Ontario, Canada, N3T 2Y3