Oxidation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by laccase of Coriolus hirsutus
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The oxidation of five polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons; anthracene, benzo(α)pyrene, fluoranthene, phenanthrene and pyrene was catalyzed by laccase from Coriolus hirsutus in the presence of the redox mediators, 2,2′-azinobis(3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulfonate) (ABTS) and 1-hydroxybenzotriazole (HBT). In the ABTS-mediated system, benzo(α)pyrene was the most rapidly oxidized substrate, with anthracene being the most rapidly oxidized in the HBT-mediated system. There was no clear relationship between the ionization potential and the oxidation of the substrates. ABTS increased the oxidation of benzo(α)pyrene more than HBT but the oxidation of the other PAHs tested were the opposite. The mediators used in conjunction increased the oxidation of benzo(α)pyrene compared to using the mediators alone.
- Bohmer S, Messner K, Srebotnik E (1998) Oxidation of phenanthrene by a fungal laccase in the presence of 1-hydroxybenzotriazole and unsaturated lipids. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 244: 233-238.
- Bourbonnais R, Paice MG (1996) Enzymatic delignification of Kraft pulp using laccase and a mediator. TAPPI J. 79: 199-204.
- Bourbonnais R, Paice MG, Freiermuth B, Bodie E, Borneman S (1997) Reactivities of various mediators and laccases with Kraft pulp and lignin model compounds. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63: 4627-4632.
- Cerniglia C (1993) Biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 4: 331-338.
- Collins PJ, Kotterman MJJ, Field JA, Dobson ADW (1996) Oxidation of anthracene and benzo(α)pyrene by laccases from Trametes versicolor. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62: 4563-4567.
- Dipple A, Cheng SC, Bigger CAH (1990) Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbon Carcinogens. New York: Wiley-Liss.
- Hammel KE, Green B, Gai WZ (1991) Ring fission of anthracene by a eukaryote. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88: 10605-10608.
- Katase T, Bollag JM (1991) Transformation of trans-4-hydroxycinnamic acid by a laccase of the fungus Trametes versicolor: its significance in humification. Soil Sci. 151: 291-296.
- Kawai S, Umezawa T, Higuchi T (1989) Oxidation of methoxylated benzyl alcohols by laccase of Coriolus versicolor in the presence of syringaldehyde. Wood Res. 76: 10-16.
- Li K, Xu F, Eriksson KEL (1999) Comparison of fungal laccases and redox mediators in oxidation of a nonphenol lignin model compound. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65: 2654-2660.
- Majcherczyk A, Johannes C, Hütterman A (1998) Oxidation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) by laccase of Trametes versicolor. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 22: 335-341.
- Miller EC, Miller JA (1981) Searches for ultimate chemical carcinogens and their reactions with cellular macromolecules. Cancer 471: 2327-2345.
- O'Malley DM, Whetten R, Bao W, Chen CL, Sederoff R (1993) The role of laccase in lignification. Plant J. 4: 751-757.
- Pickard MA, Roman R, Tinoco R, Vazquez-Duhalt R (1999) Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon metabolism by white rot fungi and oxidation by Coriolopsis gallica UAMH 8260 laccase. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65: 3805-3809.
- Sbaghi M, Jeandet P, Bessis R, Leroux P (1996) Degradation of stilbene-type phytoalexins in relation to the pathogenicity of Botrytis cinerea to grapevines. Plant Pathol. 45: 139-144.
- Shin KS, Lee YJ (2000a) A novel extracellular peroxidase of the white-rot basidiomycete Coriolus hirsutus. Mycologia 92: 537-544.
- Shin KS, Lee YJ (2000b) Purification and characterization of a new member of the laccase family from the white-rot basidiomycete Coriolus hirsutus. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 384: 109-115.
- Shin KS, Oh IK, Kim CJ (1997) Production and purification of remazol brilliant blue R decolorizing peroxidase from the culture filtrate of Pleurotus ostreatus. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63: 1744-1748.
- Vazquez-Duhalt R, Westlake DWS, Fedorak PM (1994) Lignin peroxidase oxidation of aromatic compounds in systems contaning aromatic solvents. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 60: 459-466.
- Oxidation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by laccase of Coriolus hirsutus
Volume 24, Issue 16 , pp 1337-1340
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Coriolus hirsutus
- polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon
- redox mediator
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, College of Sciences, Daejeon University, Daejeon, 300-716, Korea
- 2. College of Oriental Medicine, Daejeon University, Daejeon, 300-716, Korea
- 3. Department of Microbiology, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 305-600, Korea