Decrease of proteolytic degradation of recombinant hirudin produced by Pichia pastoris by controlling the specific growth rate
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The effects of the specific growth rate and methanol concentration on the degradation of hirudin produced by recombinant Pichia pastoris were investigated. When a methanol-limited state and the specific growth rate of 0.02 h−1 were maintained during the fermentation, a minimum degradation of hirudin and a maximum specific hirudin production rate were achieved. By this strategy, the production of intact recombinant hirudin Hir65 reached 0.7 g l−1 in fed-batch fermentation. Its proportion was 35% to all forms of hirudin.
- Blank HW, Clark DS (1996) Biochemical Engineer. New York: Marcel Dekker, 702 pp.
- Cereghino JL, Cregg JM (2000) Heterologous protein expression in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 24: 45-66.
- Chang JY (1983) The functional domain of hirudin, a thrombinspecific inhibitor. FEBS Lett. 164: 307-313.
- d'Anjou MC, Daugulis AJ (2000) Mixed-feed exponential feeding for fed-batch culture of recombinant methylotrophic yeast. Biotechnol. Lett. 22: 341-346.
- d'Anjou MC, Daugulis AJ (2001) A rational approach to improving productivity in recombinant Pichia pastoris fermentation. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 72: 1-11.
- Heim J, Takabayashi K, Meyhack B, Marki W, Pohlig G (1994) C-terminal proteolytic degradation of recombinant desulfatohirudin and its mutants in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eur. J. Biochem. 226: 341-353.
- Katakura Y, Zhang WH, Zhang GQ, Omasa T, Kishimoto M, Goto YJ, Suga KI (1998) Effect of methanol concentration on the production of human β2-glycoprotein I domain V by a recombinant Pichia pastoris: a simple system for the control of methanol concentration using a semiconductor gas sensor. J. Ferment. Bioeng. 86: 482-87.
- Kim CH, Sohn JH, Choi ES, Rhee SK (1996) Effect of soybean oil on the enhanced expression of hirudin gene in Hansenula polymorpha. Biotechnol. Lett. 18: 417-422.
- Kobayashi K, Kuwae S, Ohya T, Ohda T, Ohyama M, Ohi H, Tomomitsu K, Ohmura T (2000) High-level expression of recombinant human serum albumin from the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris with minimal protease production and activation. J. Biosci. Bioeng. 89: 55-61.
- Rao KJ, Kim CH, Chung BH, Kim MK, Rhee SK (1999) Suppression of proteolytic degradation of recombinant hirudin from Saccharomyces cerevisiae using the O2-enriched air. Biotechnol. Lett. 21: 391-394.
- Sreekrishna K, Kropp KE (1996). Pichia pastoris. In: Wolf K, ed. Non-Conventional Yeast in Biotechnology: A Handbook. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 203-253.
- Sreekrishna K, Brankamp RG, Kropp KE, Blankenship DT, Tsay JT, Smith PL, Wierschke JD, Subramaniam A, Birkenberger LA (1997) Strategies for optimal synthesis and secretion of heterologous proteins in the methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris. Gene 190: 55-62.
- Zhang WH, Bevins MA, Plantz BA, Smith LA, Meager MM (2000) Modeling Pichia pastoris growth on methanol and optimization the production of a recombinant protein, the heavychain fragment C of botulinum neurotoxin, serotype A. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 70: 1-8.
- Zhou X-S, Lu J, Fan W-M, Zhang Y-X (2002) Development of a responsive methanol sensor and its application in Pichia pastoris fermentation. Biotechnol. Lett. 24: 643-646.
- Decrease of proteolytic degradation of recombinant hirudin produced by Pichia pastoris by controlling the specific growth rate
Volume 24, Issue 17 , pp 1449-1453
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Pichia pastoris
- proteolytic degradation
- recombinant hirudin
- specific growth rate
- Industry Sectors