An autumn profile of growth regulatory hormones in chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We examined trends in the growth regulatory hormones growth hormone (GH) and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) from August to December in chinook salmon. Fish on 100% (ad libitum) and 64% rations of a low fat high protein diet, and a 64% ration of commercial feed (BioOregon-grower) were sampled twice a month. Fish were kept on simulated natural photoperiod at constant temperature. GH declined in late August and early September, consistent with photoperiodic regulation. No effects of ration or diet composition on GH were found. IGF-I increased to a peak on 4 October 1998 and declined thereafter. High dietary ration and the higher fat commercial diet increased IGF-I. Fish length and IGF-I level were positively correlated. This study shows that a peak in IGF-I may occur in the fall in chinook salmon.
- Beckman, B.R. and Dickhoff, W.W. 1998. Plasticity of smolting in spring chinook salmon: relation to growth and insulin-like growth factor-I. J. Fish Biol. 52: 808–826. CrossRef
- Beckman, B.R., Larsen, D.A., Moriyama, S., Lee-Pawlak, B. and Dickhoff, W.W. 1998. Insulin-like growth factor-I and environmental modulation of growth during smoltification of spring chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawystscha). Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 109: 325–335. CrossRef
- Beckman, B.R., Larsen, D.A., Sharpe, C., Lee-Pawlak, B., Schreck, C.B. and Dickhoff, W.W. 2000. Physiological status of naturally reared juvenile spring chinook salmon in the Yakima river: seasonal dynamics and changes associated with smolting. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 129: 727–753. CrossRef
- Beckman, B.R., Shearer, K.D., Cooper, K.A. and Dickhoff, W.W. 2001. Relationship of insulin-like growth factor-I and insulin to size and adiposity of under-yearling chinook salmon. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A 129: 585–593.
- Bjornsson, B.T. 1997. The biology of salmon growth hormone: from daylight to dominance. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 17: 9–24. CrossRef
- Bjornsson, B.T., Hemre, G.I., Bjornevik, M. and Hansen, T. 2000. Photoperiod regulation of plasma growth hormone levels during induced smoltification of underyearling atlantic salmon. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 119: 17–25. CrossRef
- Blaise, O., Weil, C. and Le Bail, P.Y. 1995. Role of IGF-I in the control of GH secretion in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Growth. Regul. 5: 142–150.
- Company, R., Astola, A., Pendon, C., Valdivia, M.M. and Perez-Sanchez, J. 2001. Somatotropic regulation of fish growth and adiposity: growth hormone (GH) and somatolactin (SL) relationship. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. C 130: 435–445.
- Company, R., Calduch-Giner, J.A., Kaushik, S. and Perez-Sanchez, J. 1999. Growth performance and adiposity in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata): risks and benefits of high energy diets. Aquaculture 171: 279–292. CrossRef
- Devlin, R.H., Swanson, P., Clarke, W.C., Plisetskaya, E., Dickhoff, W.W., Moriyama, S., Yesaki, T.Y. and Hew, C.-L. 2000. Seawater adaptability and hormone levels in growth-enhanced transgenic coho salmon, Oncorhychus kisutch. Aquaculture 191: 367–385. CrossRef
- Dickhoff, W.W., Beckman, B.R., Larsen, D.A., Duan, C. and Moriyama, S. 1997. The role of growth in endocrine regulation of salmonid smoltification. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 17: 231–236. CrossRef
- Duan, C. 1998. Nutritional and developmental regulation of insulinlike growth factors in fish. J. Nutr. 128: 306S–314S.
- Duan, C., Plisetskaya, E.M. and Dickhoff, W.W. 1995. Expression of insulin-like growth factor I in normally and abnormally developing coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch). Endocrinology 136: 446–452. CrossRef
- Jobling, M. 1994. Fish Bioenergetics. St. Edmundsbury Press, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England.
- Kelley, K.M., Desai, P., Roth, J.T., Haigwood, J.T., Arope, S.A., Flores, R.M., Schmidt, K.E., Perez, M., Nicholson, G.S. and Song, W.W. 2000. Evolution of endocrine growth regulation: the insulin like growth factors (IGFs), their regulatory binding proteins (IGFBPs), and IGF receptors in fishes and other ectothermic vertebrates. In: Recent Advances in Marine Biotechnology. Vol. IV. Aquaculture, pp. 189–228. Edited by M. Fingerman, M.-F. Thompson & R. Nagabhushanam. Oxford and IBH Publishing, New Delhi.
- Larsen, D.A., Beckman, B.R. and Dickhoff, W.W. 2001. The effect of low temperature and fasting during the winter on metabolic stores and endocrine physiology (insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, and thyroxine) of coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 123: 308–323. CrossRef
- Marchant, T.A. and Peter, R.E. 1986. Seasonal variations in body growth rates and circulating levels of growth hormone in the goldfish, Carassius auratus. J. Exp. Zool. 237: 231–239. CrossRef
- McCormick, S.D., Bjornsson, B.T., Sheridan, M., Eilertson, C., Carey, J.B. and O'Dea, M. 1995. Increased daylength stimulates plasma growth hormone and gill Na+, K+-ATPase in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). J. Comp. Phys. B 165: 245–254.
- McCormick, S.D., Moriyama, S. and Bjornsson, B.T. 2000. Low temperature limits photoperiod control of smolting in Atlantic salmon through endocrine mechanisms. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 278: R1352–1361.
- Moriyama, S., Ayson, F.G. and Kawauchi, H. 2000. Growth regulation by insulin-like growth factor-I in fish. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 64: 1553–1562. CrossRef
- Moriyama, S., Shimma, H., Tagawa, M. and Kagawa, H. 1997. Changes in plasma insulin-like growth factor-I levels in the precociously maturing amago salmon, Oncorhynchus masou isihkawai. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 17: 253–259. CrossRef
- Nankervis, L., Matthews, S.J. and Appleford, P. 2000. Effect of dietary non-protein energy source on growth, nutrient retention and circulating insulin-like growth factor I and triiodothyronine levels in juvenile barramundi, Lates calcarifer. Aquaculture 191: 323–335. CrossRef
- Perez-Sanchez, J., Marti-Palanca, H. and Kaushik, S.J. 1995. Ration size and protein intake affect circulating growth hormone concentration, hepatic growth hormone binding and plasma insulinlike growth factor-I immunoreactivity in a marine teleost, the gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata). J. Nutr. 125: 546–552.
- Perez-Sanchez, J., Marti-Palanca, H. and Le Bail, P.-Y. 1994. Seasonal changes in circulating growth hormone (GH), hepatic GH binding and plasma insulin-like growth factor-I immunoreactivity in a marine fish, gilthead sea bream, Sparus aurata. Fish Physiol. Biochem. 13: 199–208. CrossRef
- Pierce, A.L., Beckman, B.R., Shearer, K.D., Larsen, D.A. and Dickhoff, W.W. 2001. Effects of ration on somatotropic hormones and growth in coho salmon. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 128: 255–264.
- Shimizu, M., Swanson, P., Fukada, H., Hara, A. and Dickhoff, W.W. 2000. Comparison of extraction methods and assay validation for salmon insulin-like growth factor-I using commercially available components. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 119: 26–36. CrossRef
- Silverstein, J.T., Shearer, K.D., Dickhoff, W.W. and Plisetskaya, E.M. 1998. The effects of growth and fatness on sexual development of chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) parr. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 55: 2376–2382. CrossRef
- Storebakken, T., Hung, S.S.O., Calvert, C.C. and Plisetskaya, E.M. 1991. Nutrient partitioning in rainbow trout at different feeding rates. Aquaculture 96: 191–203. CrossRef
- Swanson, P. 1994. Radioimmunoassay of fish growth hormone, prolactin, and somatolactin. In: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Fishes, Volume 3, Analytical Techniques, pp. 545–565. Edited by P.W. Hochachka & T.P. Mommsen. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam.
- Toguyeni, A., Baroiller, J.F., Fostier, A., Le Bail, P.Y., Kuhn, E.R., Mol, K.A. and Fauconneau, B. 1996. Consequences of food restriction on short-term growth variation and on plasma circulating hormones in Oreochromis niloticus in relation to sex. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 103: 167–175. CrossRef
- Young, G., Bjornsson, B.T., Prunet, P., Lin, R.J. and Bern, H.A. 1989. Smoltification and seawater adaptation in coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch): Plasma prolactin, growth hormone, thyroid hormones, and cortisol. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 74: 335–345. CrossRef
- An autumn profile of growth regulatory hormones in chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
Fish Physiology and Biochemistry
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 83-88
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- growth hormone (GH)
- insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 98195, USA
- 2. Integrative Fish Biology Program, Northwest Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, 2725 Montlake Boulevard E., Seattle, WA, 98112, USA