Anxiety Symptoms as Predictors of Nursing Home Placement in Patients with Alzheimer's Disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anxiety symptoms are fairly common among patients with Alzheimer's Disease (AD). Such symptoms are likely to make patient care more problematic and, therefore, increase the risk of nursing home placement. Anxiety symptoms were evaluated on the basis of physician examinations, in conjunction with caregiver interviews, in 372 community-dwelling AD patients. Patients received annual follow-up for 1–12 years (M = 4.4). Patients who exhibited anxiety symptoms at baseline assessment were significantly more likely to enter nursing homes, regardless of initial cognitive status or other risks for institutionalization. There was a 15% increase in risk for each point on a 0–5 scale. This study supports the hypothesis that anxiety symptoms increase the risk of nursing home placement in patients with AD. Consequently, there is a need for better understanding of the causes of anxiety in AD and for the development of effective methods of assessment and treatment.
- Bianchetti, A., Scuratti, A., Zanetti, O., Binetti, G., Frisoni, G. B., Magni, E., and Trabucchi, M. (1995). Predictors of mortality and institutionalization in Alzheimer's disease patients 1 year after discharge from an Alzheimer dementia unit. Dementia 6: 108–112.
- Chang, B. L. (1999). Cognitive-behavioral intervention for homebound caregivers of persons with dementia. Nurs. Res. 48: 173–182.
- Cohen, C. A., Gold, D. P., Shulman, K. I., Whortley, J. T., McDonald, G., and Wargon, M. (1993). Factors determining the decision to institutionalize dementing individuals: A prospective study. Gerontologist 33: 714–720.
- Corey-Bloom, J., and Gasasko, D. (1995). Adjunctive therapy in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Drugs Aging 7: 79–87. 342 Gibbons, Teri, Logsdon, McCurry, Kukull, Bowen, McCormick, and Larson
- Hope, T., Keene, J., Gedling, K., Fairburn, C. G., and Jacoby, R. (1998). Predictors of institutionalization for people with dementia living at home with a carer. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry 13: 682–690.
- Karlsson, I. (1996). Treatment of non-cognitive symptoms in dementia. Acta Neurol. Scand. 168(Suppl.): 93–95.
- Larson, E. B., Kukull, W. A., Teri, L., McCormick, W., Pfanschmidt, M., van Belle, G., and Sumi, M. (1990). University of Washington Alzheimer's Disease Patient Registry (ADPR): 1987-1988. Aging 2: 404–408.
- McKhann, G., Drachman, D., Folstein, M., Katzman, R., Price, D., and Stadlan, E. M. (1984). Clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease: Report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 34: 939–944.
- Mega, M., Cummings, J., Fiorello, T., and Gornbein, J. (1996). The spectrum of behavioral changes in Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 46: 130–135.
- Mehrabian, A. (1995). Distinguishing depression and trait anxiety in terms of basic dimensions of temperament. Imaginat. Cognit. Pers. 15: 133–143.
- Mittelman, M. S., Ferris, S. H., Shulman, E., Steinberg, G., and Levin, B. (1996). A family intervention to delay nursing home placement of patients with Alzheimer's disease: A randomized, controlled trial. JAMA 276: 1725–1731.
- O'Donnell, B. F., Drachman, D. A., Barnes, H. J., Peterson, K. E., Swearer, J. M., and Lew, R. A. (1992). Incontinence and troublesome behaviors predict institutionalization in dementia J. Geriatr. Psychiatry Neurol. 5: 45–52.
- Reisberg, B., Borenstein, J., Salob, S. P., Ferris, S. H., Franssen, E., and Georgotas, A. (1987). Behavioral symptoms in Alzheimer's disease: phenomenology and treatment. J. Clin. Psychiatry 48(Suppl. 5): 9–15.
- Rockwood, K., Stolee, P., and Brahim, A. (1991). Outcomes of admission to a psychogeriatric service. Can. J. Psychiatry 36: 275–279.
- Shankarr, K. K., Walker, M., Frost, D., and Orrell, M. W. (1999). The development of a valid and reliable scale for rating anxiety in dementia (RAID). Aging Mental Health 1: 39–49.
- Steele, C., Rovner, B., Chase, G., and Folstein, M. (1990). Psychiatric symptoms and nursing home placement of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Am. J. Psychiatry 147: 1049–1051.
- Teri, L., Ferretti, L. E., Gibbons, L. E., Logsdon, R. G., McCurry, S. M., Kukull, W. A., McCormick, W. C., Bowen, J. D., and Larson, E. B. (1999). Anxiety in Alzheimer's disease: Prevalence and comorbidity. J. Gerontol. 54: 348–352.
- Teri, L., Truax, P., Logsdon, R., Uomoto, J., Zarit, S., and Vitaliano, P. P. (1992). Assessment of behavioral problems in dementia: The Revised Memory and Behavior Problems Checklist. Psychol. Aging 7: 622–631.
- Vernooij-Dassen, M., Felling, A., and Persoon, J. (1997). Predictors of change and continuity in home care for dementia patients. Int. J. Geriat. Psychiatry 12: 671–677.
- Anxiety Symptoms as Predictors of Nursing Home Placement in Patients with Alzheimer's Disease
Journal of Clinical Geropsychology
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 335-342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Alzheimer's disease
- behavioral symptoms
- prospective studies