Weighted FOM and GMRES for solving nonsymmetric linear systems
- Azeddine Essai
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents two new methods called WFOM and WGMRES, which are variants of FOM and GMRES, for solving large and sparse nonsymmetric linear systems. To accelerate the convergence, these new methods use a different inner product instead of the Euclidean one. Furthermore, at each restart, a different inner product is chosen. The weighted Arnoldi process is introduced for implementing these methods. After describing the weighted methods, we give the relations that link them to FOM and GMRES. Experimental results are presented to show the good performances of the new methods compared to FOM(m) and GMRES(m).
- Z. Bai, D. Day, J. Demmel and J. Dongarra, A test matrix collection for non-Hermitian eigenvalue problems, Release 1.0 (1996).
- R.F. Boisvert, R. Pozo, K. Remington, R. Barrett and J.J. Dongarra, The Matrix Market: A web resource for test matrix collections, in: The Quality of Numerical Software: Assessment and Enhancement, ed. R.F. Boisvert (Chapman & Hall, London, 1997) pp. 125–137.
- P.N. Brown, A theoretical comparison of the Arnoldi and GMRES algorithms, SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 12 (1991) 58–78. CrossRef
- J. Cullum and A. Greenbaum, Relations between Galerkin and norm-minimizing iterative methods for solving linear systems, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl. 17 (1996) 223–247. CrossRef
- I.S. Duff, R.G. Grimes and J.G. Lewis, User’s guide for the Harwell–Boeing sparse matrix collection (Release I), Technical Report TR/PA/92/86, CERFACS, Toulouse, France (1992).
- H.C. Elman, Y. Saad and P. Saylor, A hybrid Chebyshev Krylov subspace algorithm for solving nonsymmetric systems for linear equations, SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 7 (1986) 840–855. CrossRef
- R.W. Freund, A transpose-free quasi-minimal residual algorithm for non-Hermitian linear system, SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 14 (1993) 470–482. CrossRef
- R.W. Freund and N.M. Nachtigal, QMR: a quasi-minimal residual method for non-Hermitian linear systems, Numer. Math. 60 (1991) 315–339. CrossRef
- G.H. Golub and C.F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, 3rd ed. (Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 1996).
- R.S. Martin, G. Peters and J.H. Wilkinson, The QR algorithm for real Hessenberg matrices, Numer. Math. 14 (1970) 219–231. CrossRef
- R.B. Morgan, A restarted GMRES method augmented with eigenvectors, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl. 16 (1995) 1154–1171. CrossRef
- N.M. Nachtigal, L. Reichel and L.N. Trefethen, A hybrid GMRES algorithm for nonsymetric linear systems, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl. 13 (1992) 796–825. CrossRef
- Y. Saad, Krylov subspace methods for solving large unsymmetric linear systems, Math. Comp. 37 (1981) 105–126. CrossRef
- Y. Saad, Least squares polynomials in the complex plane and their use for solving nonsymmetric linear systems, SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 7 (1987) 155–169.
- Y. Saad, SPARSKIT: a basic tool kit for sparse matrix computations, RIACS, NASA Ames Research Center (1991).
- Y. Saad, A flexible inner–outer preconditioned GMRES algorithm, SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 14 (1993) 461–469. CrossRef
- Y. Saad, Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems (PWS Publishing, New York, 1996).
- Y. Saad and M.H. Schultz, GMRES: a generalized minimal residual algorithm for solving nonsymmetric linear systems, SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 7 (1986) 856–869. CrossRef
- L. Zhou and H.F. Walker, Residual smoothing techniques for iterative methods, SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 15 (1994) 297–312. CrossRef
- Weighted FOM and GMRES for solving nonsymmetric linear systems
Volume 18, Issue 3-4 , pp 277-292
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- nonsymmetric linear systems
- sparse matrices
- iterative methods
- Krylov subspaces
- Industry Sectors