Handover management in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite networks will play an important role in the evolving information infrastructure. Satellites in the low earth orbits provide communication with shorter end-to-end delays and efficient frequency usage. However, some problems need to be solved before LEO satellite systems can be successfully deployed. One of these problems is the handover management. The objective of this paper is to survey the basic concepts of LEO satellite networks and the handover research.
- F. Abrishamkar and Z. Siveski, PCS global mobile satellites, IEEE Communications Magazine 34(9) (September 1996) 132–136.
- A.S. Acampora and M. Naghshineh, An architecture and methodology for mobile-executed handoff in cellular ATM networks, IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications 12(8) (October 1994) 1365–1374.
- B.A. Akyol and D.C. Cox, Rerouting for handoff in a wireless ATM networks, IEEE Personal Communications 3(5) (October 1996) 26–33.
- J.M. Benedetto, Economy-class ion-defying ICs in orbit, IEEE Spectrum 35(3) (March 1998) 36–41.
- D. Bertsekas and R. Gallager, Data Networks (Prentice Hall, 1992).
- H.S. Chang, B.W. Kim, C.G. Lee, Y.H. Choi, S.L. Min, H.S. Yang and C.S. Kim, Topological design and routing for low-earth orbit satellite networks, in: Proc. of IEEE GLOBECOM (1995) pp. 529–535.
- H.S. Chang, B.W. Kim, C.G. Lee, S.L. Min, Y.H. Choi, H.S. Yang and C.S. Kim, Performance comparison of static routing and dynamic routing in low earth orbit satellite networks, in: IEEE VTC '96 (1996) pp. 1240–1243.
- G. Comparetto and R. Ramirez, Trends in mobile satellite technology, Computer 30(2) (February 1997) 44–52.
- S.K. Das, R. Jayaram and S.K. Sen, An optimistic quality of service provisioning scheme for cellular networks, in: Proc. of the 17th Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems (1997) pp. 536–542.
- E. Del Re, R. Fantacci and G. Giambene, Call blocking performance for dynamic channel allocation technique in future mobile satellite systems, in: IEE Proceedings (1996) pp. 289–296.
- E. Del Re, R. Fantacci and G. Giambene, Handover requests queueing in low earth orbit mobile satellite systems, in: Proc. of the 2nd European Workshop on Mobile/Personal Satcoms (1996) pp. 213–232.
- P.R. Giusto and G. Quaglione, Technical alternatives for satellite mobile networks, in: Proc. of the 1st European Workshop on Mobile/Personal Satcoms (1994) pp. 15–27.
- L.S. Golding and L.C. Palmer, Personal communications by satellite, Int. J. of Satellite Communications 10(5) (September-October 1992) 283–291.
- J.L. Grubb, IRIDIUM overview, IEEE Communications Magazine 29(11) (1991).
- D. Hong and S. Rappaport, Traffic model and performance analysis for cellular mobile radio telephone systems with prioritized and nonprioritized handoff procedures, IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology 35(3) (August 1986) 77–92.
- Y.C. Hubbel, A comparison of the IRIDIUM and AMPS systems, IEEE Network Magazine 11(2) (March/April 1997) 52–59.
- A. Jamalipour, Low Earth Orbital Satellites for Personal Communication Networks (Artech House, 1998).
- D.A. Levine, I.F. Akyildiz and M. Naghshineh, A resource estimation and call admission algorithm for wireless multimedia networks using the shadow cluster concept, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 5(1) (February 1997) 1–12.
- V.H. MacDonald, The cellular concept, The Bell Systems Technical J. 58(1) (January 1979) 15–43.
- M. Marsan, C.-F. Chiasserini, R. Lo Cigno, M. Munafo and A. Fugamalli, Local and global handovers for mobility management in wireless networks, IEEE Personal Communications 4(5) (October 1997) 16–24.
- I. Mertzanis, R. Tafazolli and B.G. Evans, Connection admission control strategy and routing considerations in multimedia (non-geo) satellite networks, in: Proc. IEEE VTC '97 (1997) pp. 431–435.
- B. Miller, Satellite free mobile phone, IEEE Spectrum 35(3) (March 1998) 26–35.
- M. Naghshineh and M. Schwartz, Distributed call admission control in mobile/wireless networks, IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications 14(4) (May 1996) 711–717.
- C. Oliviera, J.B. Kim and T. Suda, Quality of service guarantee in high speed multimedia wireless networks, in: Proc. IEEE ICC '97 (1997) pp. 728–734.
- J. Restrepo and G. Maral, Providing appropriate service quality to fixed and mobile users in a non-geo satellite-fixed cell system, in: Proc. of the Second European Workshop on Mobile/Personal Satcoms (1996) pp. 79–96.
- G. Ruiz, T.L. Doumi and J.G. Gardiner, Teletraffic analysis and simulation of mobile satellite systems, in: IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (1996) pp. 252–256.
- G.L. Stüber, Principles of Mobile Communication (Kluwer Academic, 1996).
- M.A. Sturza, Architecture of the TELEDESIC satellite system, in: Proc. of Int. Mobile Satellite Conf. (1995) pp. 212–218.
- C.-K. Toh, The design and implementation of a hybrid handover protocol for multimedia wireless LANs, in: Proc. Mobicom '95 (1995) pp. 49–61.
- H. Uzunalioğlu, Probabilistic routing protocol for low earth orbit satellite networks, in: Proc. of IEEE ICC '98 (1998) pp. 89–93.
- H. Uzunalioğlu, I.F. Akyildiz, Y. Yesha and W. Yen, Footprint handover rerouting protocol for low earth orbit satellite networks, To appear in Wireless Networks Journal. A preliminary version appeared in the Proc. of ACM/IEEE MOBICOM '97.
- M. Werner, G. Berndl and B. Edmaier, Performance of optimized routing in LEO intersatellite link networks, in: IEEE VTC '97 (1997) pp. 246–250.
- M. Werner, C. Delucchi, H.-J. Vogel, G. Maral and J.-J. De Ridder, ATM-based routing in LEO/MEO satellite networks with intersatellite links, IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications 15(1) (January 1997) 69–82.
- M. Werner, A. Jahn, E. Lutz and A. Bottcher, Analysis of system parameters for LEO/ICO-satellite communication networks, IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications 13(2) (February 1995) 371–381.
- R.A. Wiedeman and A.J. Viterbi, The globalstar mobile satellite system for worldwide personal communications, in: Proc. of Int. Mobile Satellite Conf. (1993) pp. 46–49.
- Handover management in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite networks
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 301-310
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Broadband and Wireless Networking Laboratory, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332, USA
- 2. Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies, Holmdel, NJ, 07733, USA
- 3. Department of Defense, 9800 Savage Road, Fort Meade, MD, 20755, USA