Simulation study of AAL type 2
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cellular network applications are growing drastically and this requires a fast and efficient transport method between the base station and the mobile switching center. One possible solution is to use ATM links. The low data rate and small-sized packets in the typical cellular applications imply that significant amount of link bandwidth would be wasted, if this small sized packet is carried by one ATM cell. For efficient operation for such cellular and low bit rate applications, a new type of ATM Adaptation Layer, AAL type 2, has been proposed. In this paper, the principles of AAL type 2 are briefly described along with the introduction of other alternatives which have formed the basis for this new AAL. The result from the simulation to study the performance of the AAL type 2 is discussed from the point of a packet delay and ATM cell use efficiency. Due to the variable sizes of packets in this application, the fairness issue in serving variable sized packets is also discussed along with the effect of the fair queueing algorithm implemented at AAL type 2.
- Baldwin, J., Bharucha, B., Doshi, B., Dravida, S., Nanda, S. (1997) AAL-2: A new ATM adaptation layer for small packet encapsulation and multiplexing. Bell Labs Technical Journal 2: pp. 111-131 CrossRef
- J. Baldwin, B. Bharucha, B. Doshi, S. Dravida and S. Nanda, AAL-CU: An ATM adaptation layer for small packet encapsulation, in: Proc. ITC 15 (June 1997) pp. 1445-1456.
- J. Baldwin, B. Bharucha, S. Dravida and S. Nanda, Error and loss resilience of proposed AAL-CUs, ATM Forum/96-0843 (June 1996).
- B-ISDN ATM Adaptation Layer Type 2 Specification, ITU-T Recommendation I.363.2, Draft (November 1996).
- Z.A. Cui, Analysis on variable cell size and short cell size ATM, ATM Forum/96-0056 (February 1996).
- A. Demers, S. Keshav and S. Shenker, Analysis and simulation of a fair queueing algorithm, in: Proc. of SIGCOMM '89, Austin, TX (September 1989) pp. 1-12.
- G. Eneroth, L.-G. Petersen and G. Leijonhufvud, Refined AAL-CU proposal for cellular and low bit rate applications, ATM Forum/96-0776 (June 1996).
- Eng, K.Y., Karol, M.J., Veeraraghavan, M., Ayanoglu, E., Woodworth, C.B., Pancha, P., Valenzuela, R.A. (1995) A wireless broadband ad-hoc ATM local-area network. Wireless Networks 1: pp. 161-174 CrossRef
- S.J. Golestani, A self-clocked fair queueing scheme for broadband applications, in: Proc. of INFOCOM '94, pp. 636-646.
- Parekh, A.K., Gallager, R.G. (1993) A generalized processor sharing approach to flow control in integrated services networks: The single-node case. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 1: pp. 344-357 CrossRef
- Simulation study of AAL type 2
Volume 11, Issue 3-4 , pp 323-336
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors