MobiCast: A multicast scheme for wireless networks
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we propose a multicast scheme known as MobiCast that is suitable for mobile hosts in an internetwork environment with small wireless cells. Our scheme adopts a hierarchical mobility management approach to isolate the mobility of the mobile hosts from the main multicast delivery tree. Each foreign domain has a domain foreign agent. We have simulated our scheme using the Network Simulator and the measurements show that our multicast scheme is effective in minimizing disruptions to a multicast session due to the handoffs of the mobile group member, as well as reducing packet loss when a mobile host crosses cell boundaries during a multicast session.
- A. Acharya, A. Bakre and B.R. Badrinath, IP multicast extensions for mobile internetworking, in: Proc. of INFOCOM, San Fransisco, California (March 1996).
- A. Ballardie, J. Crowcroft and P. Francis, Core-based tree (CBT)-an architecture for scalable inter-domain multicast routing, in: Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM, Vol. 23 (October 1993) pp. 85–95.
- R. Cáceres and V.N. Padmanabhan, Fast and scalable handoffs for wireless internetworks, in: Proc. of ACM/IEEE MobiCom, New York, USA (November 1996) pp. 56-66.
- V. Chikarmane, R.B. Bunt and C.L. Williamsom, Mobile IP-based multicast as a service for mobile hosts, in: Proc. of the 2nd Internat. Workshop on Services in Distributed and Networked Environments (June 1995) pp. 11-18.
- S. Deering, Host extensions for ip multicasting, RFC, RFC 1112 (August 1989).
- S.E. Deering and D.R. Cheriton, Multicast routing in datagram internetworks and extended LANs, ACM Transactions on Computing Systems 8(2) (May 1990) 85–110.
- S. Deering, D. Estrin, D. Farinacci, A. Helmy, D. Thaler, M. Handley, V. Jacobson, C. Liu, P. Sharma and L. Wei, Protocol-independent multicast-sparse mode (PIM-SM): Protocol specification, Request for Comments (experimental) 2362, Internet Engineering Task Force (June 1998) (Obsoletes RFC 2117).
- S. Deering, D. Estrin, D. Farinacci, V. Jacobson, A. Helmy and L. Wei, Protocol-independent multicast version 2, dense mode specification, Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force (May 1998). (work in progress).
- S. Deering and C. Partridge, Distance vector multicast routing protocol, RFC, RFC 1075 (November 1988).
- S. Floyd, V. Jacobson, C.-G. Liu, S. McCanne and L. Zhang, Reliable multicast framework for light-weight sessions and application level framing, in: Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM, Cambridge, MA (September 1995) pp. 342-356.
- T.G. Harrison, C.L. Williamsom, W.L. Mackrell and R.B. Bunt, Mobile Multicast (MoM) protocol: Multicast support for mobile hosts, in: Proc. of ACM/IEEE MobiCom (September 1997).
- J. Ioannidis, D. Duchamp and G.Q. Maguire, Jr., IP-based protocols for mobile internetworking, in: Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM, ACM, Zürich, Switzerland (September 1991) pp. 235-245; also in Computer Communication Review 21(4) (September 1991).
- J. Ioannidis and G.Q. Maguire, Jr., The design and implementation of a mobile internetworking architecture, in: Proc. of USENIXW, San Diego, CA (January 1993) pp. 491-502.
- V. Jacobson and S. McCanne, The LBL audio tool vat, Manual page (July 1992).
- D. Johnson and C. Perkins, Mobility support in IPv6, Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force (March 1998) (work in progress).
- S. McCanne and V. Jacobson, A flexible framework for packet video, in: Proc. of ACM Multimedia '95 (November 1995).
- J. Moy, Multicast extensions to OSPF, Request for Comments (Proposed Standard) 1584, Internet Engineering Task Force (March 1994).
- C. Perkins, IP mobility support version 2, Internet Draft, Internet Engineering Task Force (November 1997) (work in progress).
- C.L. Tan, S. Pink and K.M. Lye, A fast handoff scheme for wireless networks, in: Proc. of the 2nd ACM Internat. Workshop on Wireless Mobile Multimedia (WoWMoM'99) (August 1999) pp. 83-90.
- UCB/LBNL/VINT Network Simulator NS, http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/.
- G. Xylomenos and G.C. Polyzos, IP multicasting for wireless mobile hosts, in: Proc. of the IEEE MILCOM Conf. on Military Communications, Vol. 3 (October 1996) pp. 933–937.
- G. Xylomenos and G.C. Polyzos, IP multicast for mobile hosts, IEEE Communications Magazine 35(1) (January 1997) 54–58.
- MobiCast: A multicast scheme for wireless networks
Mobile Networks and Applications
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 259-271
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors