Furfural hydrogenation over carbon‐supported copper
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Furfural hydrogenation over copper dispersed on three forms of carbon – activated carbon, diamond and graphitized fibers – were studied. Only hydrogenation of the C=O bond to form either furfuryl alcohol or 2‐methyl furan occurred at temperatures from 473 to 573 K. Reduction at 573 K gave the most active catalysts, all three catalysts had activation energies of 16 kcal/mol, and turnover frequencies were 0.018–0.032 s-1 based on the number of Cu0 + Cu+ sites, which were counted by N2O adsorption at 363 K and CO adsorption at 300 K, respectively. The Cu/activated carbon catalyst showed no deactivation during 10 h on stream, in contrast to the other two catalysts. A simple Langmuir–Hinshelwood model invoking two types of sites was able to fit all kinetic data quite satisfactorily, thus it was consistent with the presence of both Cu0 and Cu+ sites.
- R. Rao, A. Dandekar, R.T.K. Baker and M.A. Vannice, J. Catal. 171 (1997) 406. CrossRef
- A.B. Dandekar, R.T.K. Baker and M.A. Vannice, Carbon 36 (1998) 1821. CrossRef
- A.B. Dandekar and M.A. Vannice, J. Catal. 178 (1998) 621. CrossRef
- R.M. Dell, F.S. Stone and P.F. Tiley, Trans. Faraday Soc. 49 (1953) 195. CrossRef
- J.J.F. Scholten and J.A. Konvalinka, Trans. Faraday Soc. 65 (1969) 2465. CrossRef
- R. Rao, Ph.D. thesis, The Pennsylvania State University (1998).
- W.E. Garner, F.S. Stone and P.F. Tiley, Proc. Roy. Soc. London 211 (1952) 472. CrossRef
- A. Dandekar, R.T.K. Baker and M.A. Vannice, J. Catal., in press.
- J.G.M. Bremner and R.K.F. Keeys, J. Chem. Soc. (1947) 1068.
- M.S. Borts, N.D. Gil'chenok, V.M. Ignate'ev and G.S. Gurevich, Zh. Prikl. Khim. 59 (1986) 126.
- G. Seo and H. Chon, J. Catal. 67 (1981) 424. CrossRef
- A. Kaufman and J.C. Adams, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 45 (1923) 3029. CrossRef
- O.V. Makarova, T.M. Yu'reva, G.N. Kustova, A.V. Ziborov, L.M. Plyasova, T.P. Miyukova, L.P. Davydova and V.I. Zaikovskii, Kinet. Catal. 34 (1993) 683.
- R.B.C. Pillai, Catal. Lett. 26 (1994) 365. CrossRef
- S. Mehta, G.W. Simmons, K. Klier and R.G. Herman, J. Catal. 57 (1979) 339. CrossRef
- J.R. Monnier, M.J. Hanrahan and G. Apai, J. Catal. 92 (1985) 119. CrossRef
- R. Hubaut, M. Daage and J.P. Bonnelle, Appl. Catal. 22 (1986) 231. CrossRef
- O.V. Makarova, T.M. Yur'eva, G.N. Kustova, A.V. Ziborov, L.M. Plyasova, T.P. Minyukova, L.P. Davydova and V.I. Zaikovskii, Kinet. Katal. 34 (1993) 683.
- P.B. Weisz, Z. Phys. Chem. 11 (1957) 1.
- Furfural hydrogenation over carbon‐supported copper
Volume 60, Issue 1-2 , pp 51-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- furfural hydrogenation
- Cu/carbon catalysts
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Akzo‐Nobel Chemicals, 1 Livingstone Avenue, Dobbs Ferry, NY, 10522, USA
- 2. Department of Chemistry, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, 02115, USA
- 3. Department of Chemical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 16802‐4400, USA