Nitride and carbide of molybdenum and tungsten as substitutes of iridium for the catalysts used for space communication
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Satellites are equipped with microthrusters that control their orbit and attitude. The thrust is achieved by the catalytic decomposition of hydrazine by iridium supported on alumina. As nitrides and carbides of molybdenum and tungsten behave like noble metals in many catalytic reactions, they were tried in a 2 newton hydrazine microthruster. Their performance was similar to that of the iridium catalyst, with respect to ignition delay and thrust. Their mechanical resistance appears higher than that of iridium-based catalyst. This application is the first practical one for nitrides and carbides of early transition metals as substitutes of noble metals, a possibility first reported in 1973.
- Levy, R.B., Boudart, M. (1973) Science 181: pp. 547
- Oyama, S.T., Boudart, M. (1980) J.Res. Inst. Catal. 28: pp. 305
- M. Boudart, S.T. Oyama and L. Leclercq, in: Proc. 7th Int. Congr. on Catalysis, Vol. 1, eds. T. Seiyama and K. Tanabe (Kodansha, Tokyo, 1981) pp. 578–590.
- Volpe, L., Boudart, M. (1985) J. Solid StateChem. 59: pp. 332 CrossRef
- Volpe, L., Boudart, M. (1985) J. Solid StateChem. 59: pp. 348 CrossRef
- Volpe, L., Boudart, M. (1985) Catal.Rev. Sci. Eng. 27: pp. 514
- Haddix, G.W., Bell, A.T., Reimer, J.A. (1988) Catal. Lett. 1: pp. 207 CrossRef
- Lee, J.S., Boudart, M. (1991) Catal. Lett. 8: pp. 107 CrossRef
- F.H. Ribeiro, R.A. Dalla Betta, G.J. Guskey and M. Boudart, Chem.Mater. 3 (1991) 805.
- Oyama, S.T. (1992) J. Solid State Chem. 96: pp. 442 CrossRef
- Iglesia, E., Ribeiro, F.H., Boudart, M., Baumgartner, J.E. (1992) Catal. Today 15: pp. 307 CrossRef
- Choi, J.G., Brenner, J.R., Colling, C.W., Demczyk, B.G., Dunning, J.L., Thompson, L.T. (1992) Catal. Today 15: pp. 201 CrossRef
- Abe, H., Bell, A.T. (1993) Catal. Lett. 18: pp. 1 CrossRef
- Wehrer, P., Vennegues, P., Bastin, J.-M., Maire, G. (1993) Ann. Chim. Fr. 18: pp. 129
- Mazulevskii, E.A., Palanker, V., Baibatyrov, E.N., Khisametdinov, A.M., Domanovskaya, E.I. (1977) Kinet. iKatal. 18: pp. 767
- J.A.J. Rodrigues, G.M. Cruz and G. Dj_ega-Mariadassou, 8° Seminário Brasileiro deCatálise, 14 September 1995,RJ, Brazil.
- Petty, W.L. (1973) Technical Report AD-769 888. Shell Development Company, Texas
- Nitride and carbide of molybdenum and tungsten as substitutes of iridium for the catalysts used for space communication
Volume 45, Issue 1-2 , pp 1-3
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors