Value‐based decision model for renewal processes in software maintenance
- Giuseppe Visaggio
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This work is based on a retrospective analysis of a renewal process applied to a very aged, highly degraded software system. Some parts of the results are generalized to define a method for determining the technical and economic qualities of software system components. The work also presents a decision model for identifying the most suitable renewal process to be applied, based on the quality of the components and the aims of the renewal process. With the model presented, decision‐making on the renewal process is specialized to each component of the software system, thus ensuring greater benefits from the process as a whole. The same model can be used to monitor software system quality decay and thus avoid the need to use the most costly renewal processes.
- Chifosky, E.J. and J.H. Cross (1990), "Reverse Engineering and Design Recovery: A Taxonomy," IEEE Software 7, 1, 13-17.
- Favaro, J. and S.L. Pfleeger (1997), "Making Software Development Investment Decisions," Technical Report 97-01, Howard University's Centre for Research in Evaluating Software Technology, Washington, DC.
- Fenton, N.E. and S.L. Pfleeger, Ed. (1993), Software Metrics: A Rigorous and Practical Approach, International Thomson Computer Press, London, UK.
- Fenton, N.E., R. Whitty, and Y. Iizuka (1995), Software Quality Assurance and Measurement: A Worldwide Perspective, International Thomson Computer Press, London, UK.
- Grady, R.B. (1992), Practical Software Metrics for Project Management and Process Improvement, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Ransom, J., I. Sommerville, and I. Warren (1998), "A Method for Assessing Legacy Systems for Evolution," In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Software Re-engineering, IEEE Computer Society Press, Florence, Italy, pp. 84-92.
- Rasmussen, G. (1996), "Measuring the Value of Information Systems Investments," Technical Report N. 96/03, Caesar, School of Information Systems, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Sneed, H. (1995), "Planning the Reengineering of Legacy Systems," IEEE Software 12, 1, 24-34. CrossRef
- Stevens, P and R. Pooley (1998), "Systems Reengineering Patterns," Software Engineering Notes 23, 6, 17-23. CrossRef
- Visaggio, G. (1997), "Comprehending Aged Legacy Systems to Improve Their Qualities with a Renewal Process," Technical Report N. 97-26, ISERN (International Software Engineering Research Network), University of Kaiserlautern, Germany.
- Visaggio, G. (1999a), "Assessing the Maintenance Process through Replicated, Controlled Experiments," The Journal of Systems and Software 44, 3, 187-197. CrossRef
- Visaggio, G. (1999b), "Assessment of a Renewal Process Experimented in the Field," The Journal of Systems and Software 45, 1, 3-17. CrossRef
- Value‐based decision model for renewal processes in software maintenance
Annals of Software Engineering
Volume 9, Issue 1-2 , pp 215-233
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Informatics, University of Bari, Via E. Orabona, 4, 70126, Bari, Italy E-mail: