Stochastic software testing
- James A. Whittaker
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents a method for test case selection that allows a formal approach to testing software. The two main ideas are (1) that testers create stochastic models of software behavior instead of crafting individual test cases and (2) that specific test cases are generated from the stochastic models and applied to the software under test. This paper describes a method for creating a stochastic model in the context of a solved example. We concentrate on Markov models and show how non‐Markovian behavior can be embedded in such models without violating the Markov property.
- Avritzer, A. and E. Weyuker (1995), “Automatic Generation of Load Test Suites and the Assessment of the Resulting Software,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 21,9, 705–716. CrossRef
- Dahle, O. (1995), “Statistical Usage Testing Applied to Mobile Telecommunication Systems,” MS Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Trondheim, Trondheim, Norway.
- Duran, J. and S. Ntafos (1984), “An Evaluation of Random Testing,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 10,4, 438–444.
- Duran, J. and J. Wiorkowski (1984), “Quantifying Software Validity by Sampling,” IEEE Transactions on Reliability 29,2, 141–144. CrossRef
- Feller, W. (1950), An Introduction to Probability Theory and its Application, Volume 1, Wiley, New York, NY.
- Hamlet, D. and R. Taylor (1990), “Partition Testing Does Not Inspire Confidence,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 16,12, 1402–1411. CrossRef
- Houghtaling, M. (1996), “Automation Frameworks for Markov Chain Statistical Testing,” In Proceedings of the Automated Software Test and Evaluation Conference, EFPDMA Press, Washington, DC.
- Ostrand, T. and M. Balcer (1988), “The Category-Partition Method for Specifying and Generating Functional Tests,” Communications of the ACM 31,6, 676–686. CrossRef
- Poore, J.H., H.D. Mills, and D.M. Mutchler (1993), “Planning and Certifying Software System Reliability,” IEEE Software 10,1, 88–99. CrossRef
- Rautakorpi, M. (1995), “Application of Markov Chain Techniques in Certification of Software,” MS Thesis, Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis, Helsinki University of Technology, Helsinki, Finland.
- Thevenod-Fosse, P. and H. Waeselynck (1993), “STATEMATE Applied to Statistical Software Testing,” In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis, ACM Press, Cambridge, MA, pp. 99–109.
- Whittaker, J. and M. Thomason (1994), “A Markov Chain Model for Statistical Software Testing,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 20,10, 812–824. CrossRef
- Whittaker, J.A. (1992), “Markov Chain Techniques for Software Testing and Reliability Analysis,” PhD Dissertation, Department of Computer Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN.
- Stochastic software testing
Annals of Software Engineering
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 115-131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Florida Institute of Technology, 150 West University Boulevard, Melbourne, Florida, 32901, USA