Spectral expansion solution for some finite capacity queues
- Ram Chakka
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The spectral expansion method is successfully extended for the steady-state solution of a class of Markov processes of finite state space. These processes are of QBD structure, with boundary. The solution is exact and efficient. Some qualitative comparisons are made with some of the existing methods. In this framework, a finite capacity multiserver system, alternating in a Markovian environment, serving a Poisson stream of jobs, is analysed. Another system considered is a two-stage queueing network with feedback and a finite intermediate waiting room. This system is modelled and solved by spectral expansion. Typical numerical results are presented.
- R. Chakka and I. Mitrani, A numerical solution method for multiprocessor systems with general breakdowns and repairs, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Performance Tools and Techniques, Edinburgh, 1992, pp. 289 - 304.
- R. Chakka and I. Mitrani, Heterogeneous multiprocessor systems with breakdowns: Performance and optimal repair strategies, Theoretical Computer Science 125(1994)91 - 109.
- R. Chakka and I. Mitrani, Approximate solutions for open networks with breakdowns and repairs, in: Stochastic Networks: Theory and Applications, eds. F.P. Kelly, S. Zachary and I. Ziedins, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1996 (in press).
- R. Chakka, Performance and reliability modelling of computing systems using spectral expansion, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, 1995. Available on http://www.newcastle. research.ec.org/pdcs/trs/index.html as Technical Report No. 179.
- A.I. Elwalid, D. Mitra and T.E. Stern, Statistical multiplexing of Markov modulated sources: Theory and computational algorithms, in: Teletraffic and Data Traffic in a Period of Change, eds. A. Jensen and V.B. Iversen, International Teletraffic Congress-13, Copenhagen, 1991, pp. 495 - 500.
- M. Ettl and I. Mitrani, Applying spectral expansion in evaluating the performance of multiprocessor systems, Proceedings of the 3rd QMIPS Workshop Part 1, eds. O.J. Boxma and G.M. Koole, CWI TRACT, Amsterdam, 1994, pp. 45 - 58.
- A.G. Konheim and M. Resier, A queueing model with finite waiting room and blocking, Journal of the ACM 23(1976)328 - 341.
- The Numerical Algorithms Group Limited, The NAG FortranLibrary Manual, Mark 14, 1st ed., Oxford, 1990.
- K.S. Meier-Hellstern, The analysis of a queue arising in overflow models, IEEE Transactions on Communications 37(1989)367 - 372.
- I. Mitrani and R. Chakka, Spectral expansion solution for a class of Markov models: Application and comparison with the matrix-geometric method, Performance Evaluation 23(1995)241 - 260.
- I. Mitrani and D. Mitra, A spectral expansion method for random walks on semi-infinite strips, in: Iterative Methods in Linear Algebra, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1992, pp. 141 - 149.
- M.F. Neuts, Matrix Geometric Solutions in Stochastic Models, Johns Hopkins Press, New York, 1981.
- L.P. Seelen, An algorithm for Ph/Ph/cqueues, European Journal of Operations Research 23 (1986)118 - 127.
- L.P. Seelen, H.C. Tijms and M.H. Van Hoorn, Tables for Multiserver Queues, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1986.
- D. Wagner, V. Nauomov and U. Krieger, Analysis of a finite capacity multi-server delay-loss system with a general Markovian arrival process, in: Matrix-Analytic Methods in Stochastic Models, eds. A.S. Alfa and S. Chakravarthy, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1995.
- Spectral expansion solution for some finite capacity queues
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 79, Issue 0 , pp 27-44
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- queues, networks, finite capacity, Markov processes, spectral expansion
- Industry Sectors