Scenario modeling for the management ofinternational bond portfolios
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We address the problem of portfolio management in the international bond markets.Interest rate risk in the local market, exchange rate volatility across markets, and decisionsfor hedging currency risk are integral parts of this problem. The paper develops a stochasticprogramming optimization model for integrating these decisions in a common framework.Monte Carlo simulation procedures, calibrated using historical observations of volatilityand correlation data, generate jointly scenarios of interest and exchange rates. The decisionmaker's risk tolerance is incorporated through a utility function, and additional views onmarket outlook can also be incorporated in the form of user specified scenarios. The modelprescribes optimal asset allocation among the different markets and determines bond‐pickingdecisions and appropriate hedging ratios. Therefore, several interrelated decisions are castin a common framework, while in the past these issues were addressed separately. Empiricalresults illustrate the efficacy of the simulation models in capturing the uncertainties of theSalomon Brothers international bond market index.
- F. Black, E. Derman and W. Toy, A one-factor model of interest rates and its application to treasury bond options, Financial Analysts Journal (Jan./Feb. 1990)33–39.
- D.R. Carino, T. Kent, D.H. Myers, C. Stacy, M. Sylvanus, A.L. Turner, K. Watanabe and W.T. Ziemba, The Russell-Yasuda Kasai model: An asset/liability model for a Japanese insurance company using multistage stochastic programming, Interfaces 24(1994)29–49.
- D.R. Carino, D.H. Myers and W.T. Ziemba, Concepts, technical issues, and uses of the Russell-Yasuda Kasai financial planning model, Operations Research 46(1998), in print.
- D.R. Carino and W.T. Ziemba, Formulation of the Russell-Yasuda Kasai financial planning model, Operations Research 46(1998), in print.
- Y. Censor and S.A. Zenios, Parallel Optimization: Theory, Algorithms, and Applications, Series on Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computation, Oxford University Press, New York, 1997.
- C. Vassiadou-Zeniou and S.A. Zenios, Robust optimization models for managing callable bond portfolios, European Journal of Operational Research 91(1996)264–273.
- G.B. Dantzig, Linear programming under uncertainty, Management Science 1(1955)197–206.
- R.S. Dembo, Scenario immunization, in: Financial Optimization, ed. S.A. Zenios, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1993, pp. 290–308.
- F.J. Fabozzi (ed.), The Handbook of Fixed Income Securities, McGraw-Hill, 5th ed., 1997.
- J.A. Frankel and A.K. Rose, Empirical research on nominal exchange rates, in: The Handbook of International Economics, Vol. 3, eds. G. Grossman and K. Rogoff, Elsevier, 1995, pp. 123–144.
- B. Golub, M. Holmer, R. McKendall, L. Pohlman and S.A. Zenios, Stochastic programming models for money management, European Journal of Operational Research 85(1995)282–296.
- H. Grubel, Internationally diversified portfolios: Wellfare gains and capital flows, American Economic Review (Dec. 1968)1299–1314.
- M.R. Holmer and S.A. Zenios, The productivity of financial intermediation and the technology of financial product management, Operations Research 43(1995)970–982.
- J.E. Ingersoll, Jr., Theory of Financial Decision Making, Studies in Financial Economics, Rowman and Littlefield, Totowa, NJ, 1987.
- F. Jamshidian and Y. Zhu, Scenario simulation: Theory and methodology, Finance and Stochastics (1997)43–67.
- J.D. Jobson, Applied Multivariate Data Analysis, Vol. 2: Categorical and Multivariate Methods, Springer, Heidelberg, 1992.
- P. Jorion, Asset allocation with hedged and unhedged foreign stocks and bonds, The Journal of Portfolio Management (Summer 1989)49–54.
- P. Kall and S.W. Wallace, Stochastic Programming, Wiley, New York, 1994.
- E. Kaplanis and S.M. Schaefer, Exchange risk and international diversification in bond and equity markets, Journal of Economics and Business 43(1991)287–307.
- Y. Koskosides and A. Duarte, A scenario-based approach for active asset allocation, The Journal of Portfolio Management (Winter 1997)74–85.
- R. Litterman and T. Iben, Corporate bond valuation and the term structure of credit spreads, The Journal of Portfolio Management (Spring, 1991)52–64.
- L.C. MacLean, W.T. Ziemba and G. Blazenko, Growth versus security in dynamic investment analysis, Management Science 38(1992)1562–1585.
- R.A. Meese and K.S. Rogoff, Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies: Do they fit out of sample?, Journal of International Economics 14(1983)3–24.
- R.C. Merton, The financial system and economic performance, Journal of Financial Services Research (1990)263–300.
- R.O. Michaud, G.L. Bergstrom, R.D. Frashure and B.K. Wolahan, Twenty years of international equity investing, The Journal of Portfolio Management (Fall, 1996)9–22.
- J.M. Mulvey and H. Vladimirou, Stochastic network programming for financial planning problems, Management Science 38(1992)1643–1664.
- J.M. Mulvey and S.A. Zenios, Capturing the correlations of fixed-income instruments, Management Science 40(1994)1329–1342.
- RiskMetrics, Technical Document, J.P. Morgan, 4th ed., 1996.
- B. Solnik, International Investments, Addison-Wesley, 3rd ed., 1996.
- R.J-B. Wets, Programming under uncertainty: The equivalent convex program, SIAM Journal of Applied Mathematics 14(1966)89–105.
- W.T. Ziemba and J.M. Mulvey (eds.), Worldwide Asset and Liability Modeling, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1998, forthcoming.
- B.J. Ziobrowski and A.J. Ziobrowski, Exchange rate risk and internationally diversified portfolios, Journal of International Money and Finance 14(1995)65–81.
- N.H. Hakansson and W.T. Ziemba, Capital growth theory, in: Finance Handbook, eds. R.A. Jarrow, V. Maksimovic and W.T. Ziemba, North-Holland, 1995, pp. 123–144.
- Scenario modeling for the management ofinternational bond portfolios
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 85, Issue 0 , pp 227-247
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors