Jackson's Pseudo Preemptive Schedule for the Pm/r i , q i /C max scheduling problem
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of this paper is to introduce Jackson's Pseudo Preemptive Schedule (JPPS) for the m parallel and identical processor scheduling problem Pm/r i , q i /C max . JPPS generalizes Jackson's Preemptive Schedule (JPS) which was introduced for the one-processor sequencing problem 1/r i , q i /C max . JPS can be computed in O(nlog n) time and plays a central role in solving NP-hard disjunctive scheduling problems such as the job shop problem. The make-span of JPPS can be computed in O(nlog n + nmlog m) time, and is a tight lower bound for the Pm/r i , q i /C max . So JPPS could also play a central role in solving the Resource Constrained Project Scheduling Problem.
- Adams, J., Balas, E., Zawack, D. (1988) The shifting bottleneck procedure for job shop scheduling. Management Science 34: pp. 39-401
- Barker, J.R., McMahon, G.B. (1985) Scheduling the general job shop. Management Science 31: pp. 594-598
- Balas, E. (1969) Machine sequencing via disjunctive graphs: An implicit enumeration algorithm. Operations Research 17: pp. 941-957
- J. Blazewicz, K.H. Ecker, E. Pesch, G. Schmidt and J. Weglarz, Scheduling Computer and Manufacturing Processes, Springer, 1996.
- Brucker, P., Jurisch, B., Sievers, B. (1994) A branch and bound algorithm for the job-shop scheduling problem. Discrete Applied Mathematics 49: pp. 109-127 CrossRef
- Brucker, P., Jurisch, B., Krämer, A. (1992) The job-shop and immediate selection. Annals of Operations Research 50: pp. 93-114
- P. Brucker, Scheduling Algorithms, Springer, 1995.
- Carlier, J. (1982) The one-machine sequencing problem. European Journal of Operational Research 11: pp. 42-47 CrossRef
- J. Carlier, Problèmes d'ordonnancements à contraintes de ressources: algorithmes et complexité, Thèse d'état, Université Paris VI, 1984.
- Carlier, J. (1987) Scheduling jobs with release dates and tails on identical machines to minimize makespan. European Journal of Operational Research 29: pp. 298-306 CrossRef
- Carlier, J., Pinson, E. (1989) An algorithm for solving the job shop problem. Management Science 35: pp. 164-176 CrossRef
- Carlier, J., Pinson, E. (1991) A practical use of Jackson's preemptive schedule for solving the job-shop problem. Annals of Operations Research 26: pp. 269-287
- Carlier, J., Latapie, B. (1991) Une méthode arborescente pour résoudre les problèmes cumulatifs. RAIRO 25: pp. 311-340
- Carlier, J., Pinson, E. (1993) Adjusting heads and tails for the job-shop problem. European Journal of Operational Research 78: pp. 146-161 CrossRef
- Coffman, E.G., Muntz, R.R. (1970) Preemptive scheduling on two-processor systems. IEEE Transactions on Computing C-18: pp. 1014-1020
- E. Demeulemeester and W. Herroelen, Recent advances in branch and bound procedures for Resource-constrained Project Scheduling Problems, in: Scheduling Theory and its Applications, eds. P. Chretienne et al., Wiley, 1995.
- Demeulemeester, E., Herroelen, W. (1992) A branch and bound procedure for the multiple Resourceconstrained Project Scheduling Problem. Management Science 38: pp. 1803-1818
- French, S. (1982) Sequencing and Scheduling: An Introduction to the Mathematics of the Job Shop. Wiley, Chichester
- Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S. (1979) Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W.H. Freeman, San Francisco
- Goldberg, A.V., Tarjan, R.E. (1988) A new approach to the maximum flow problem. J. ACM 35: pp. 921-940 CrossRef
- Horn, W. (1974) Some simple scheduling algorithms. Naval. Res. Logis. Quart. 21: pp. 177-185
- H. Hoogeven, C. Hurkens, J.K. Lenstra and A. Vandevelde, Lower bounds for the multiprocessor flow shop, 2nd Workshop on Models and Algorithms for Planning and Scheduling, Wernigerode, May 22–26, 1995.
- Jackson, J.R. (1955) Scheduling a production line to minimize maximum tardiness. Management Science Research Project, University of California, Los Angeles
- Labetoulle, J., Lawler, E.L., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G. (1984) Preemptive scheduling of uniform machines subject to release dates. Progress in Combinatorial Optimization. Academic Press, FL, pp. 245-261
- Lageweg, B.J., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G. (1976) Minimizing maximum lateness on one machine: Computational experience and some applications. Statistica Neerlandica 30: pp. 25-41
- Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G., Brucker, P. (1977) Complexity of machine scheduling problems. Annals of Discrete Mathematics 1: pp. 343-362 CrossRef
- Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G. (1979) Computational complexity of discrete optimization problems. Annals of Discrete Mathematics 4: pp. 121-140
- Z. Liu and E. Sanlaville, Profile scheduling by list algorithms, in: Scheduling Theory and its Applications, eds., P. Chretienne et al., Wiley, 1995.
- Pinedo, M. (1995) Scheduling Theory, Algorithms and Systems. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- E. Pinson, The job shop scheduling problem: A concise survey and recent developments, in: Scheduling Theory and its Applications, eds. P. Chretienne et al., Wiley, 1995.
- E. Sanlaville, Conception et analyse d'algorithmes de liste en ordonnancement préemptif, Ph.D. Thesis, Paris VI, 1992.
- A. Vandevelde, Minimizing the makespan in a multiprocessor flowshop, Master's Thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, 1994.
- Jackson's Pseudo Preemptive Schedule for the Pm/r i , q i /C max scheduling problem
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 83, Issue 0 , pp 41-58
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors