Software engineering programmes are not computer science programmes
- David Lorge Parnas
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Programmes in “Software Engineering” have become a source of contention in many universities. Some Computer Science departments, many of which have used that phrase to describe individual courses for decades, claim software engineering as part of their discipline. However, Engineering faculties claim “Software Engineering” as a new speciality in the family of engineering disciplines. This paper discusses the differences between traditional computer science programmes and most engineering programmes and argues that we need programmes that follow the traditional engineering approach to professional education and educate engineers whose speciality within engineering is software construction. One such programme is described.
- Boehm, B.K. (1994), “The IEEE-ACM Initiative on Software Engineering as a Profession,” IEEE Computer Society Software Engineering Technical Council Newsletter 13, 1, 1.
- Buxton, J.N. and B. Randell (1970), “Software Engineering Techniques,” Report on a Conference sponsored by the NATO Science Committee, Rome, Italy, 27–31 October 1969.
- DeMillo, R.A., R.J. Lipton and A.J. Perlis (1977), “Social Processes and Proofs of Theorems and Programs,” POPL: 206–214. Also published in Communications of the ACM 22, 5, 271–280.
- McMaster University (1997), Undergraduate Calendar.
- Naur, P. and B. Randell (1969), “Software Engineering,” Report on a Conference sponsored by the NATO Science Committee, Garmisch, Germany, 7–11 October 1968.
- Spinoza (1677), Benedict: Ethics Part I.
- Software engineering programmes are not computer science programmes
Annals of Software Engineering
Volume 6, Issue 1-4 , pp 19-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. NSERC/Bell Industrial Research Chair in Software Engineering, Department of Computing and Software, Faculty of Engineering, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4K1