Boundary element preconditioners for a hypersingular integral equation on an interval
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We propose an almost optimal preconditioner for the iterative solution of the Galerkin equations arising from a hypersingular integral equation on an interval. This preconditioning technique, which is based on the single layer potential, was already studied for closed curves [11,14]. For a boundary element trial space, we show that the condition number is of order (1 + | log h min|)2, where h min is the length of the smallest element. The proof requires only a mild assumption on the mesh, easily satisfied by adaptive refinement algorithms.
- M. Ainsworth, W. McLean and T. Tran, The conditioning of boundary element equations on locally refined meshes and preconditioning by diagonal scaling, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. (to appear).
- J. Chazarain and A. Piriou, Introduction to the Theory of Linear Partial Differential Equations (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982).
- M. Crouzeix and V. Thomeé, The stability in L p and W p 1 of the L 2-projection onto finite element function spaces, Math. Comp. 48 (1987) 521–532.
- M. Costabel, Boundary integral operators on Lipschitz domains: Elementary results, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 19 (1988) 613–626.
- J. Giroire and J.C. Nedelec, Numerical solution of an exterior Neumann problem using a double layer potential, Math. Comp. 32 (1978) 973–990.
- G.H. Golub and C.F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations (Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD, 1983).
- P. Grisvard, Elliptic Problems in Nonsmooth Domains (Pitman, Boston, MA, 1985).
- E. Hille, Analytic Function Theory, Vol. II (Blaisdell, 1962).
- L. Hömander, The Analysis of Linear Partial Differential Operators I, 2nd ed. (Springer, 1990).
- J.L. Lions and E. Magenes, Non-Homogeneous Boundary Value Problems and Applications I (Springer, New York, 1972).
- W. McLean and T. Tran, A preconditioning strategy for boundary element Galerkin methods, Numer. Meth. Partial Differrential Equations 13 (1997) 283–301.
- S. Prössdorf and B. Silbermann, Numerical Analysis for Integral and Related Operators (Birkhäuser, Basel, 1991).
- O. Steinbach, On the stability of the L 2 projection in fractional Sobolev spaces, Preprint 99–16, SFB 404, Universität Stuttgart (1999).
- O. Steinbach and W.L. Wendland, The construction of some efficient preconditioners in the boundary element method, Adv. Comput. Math. 9 (1998) 191–216.
- E.P. Stephan and T. Tran, Additive Schwarz methods for the h-version boundary element method, Appl. Anal. 60 (1996) 63–84.
- E.P. Stephan and W.L. Wendland, A hypersingular boundary integral method for two-dimensional screen and crack problems, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 112 (1990) 363–390.
- Boundary element preconditioners for a hypersingular integral equation on an interval
Advances in Computational Mathematics
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 271-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- preconditioning techniques
- boundary element methods