Constraints and universal algebra
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we explore the links between constraint satisfaction problems and universal algebra. We show that a constraint satisfaction problem instance can be viewed as a pair of relational structures, and the solutions to the problem are then the structure preserving mappings between these two relational structures. We give a number of examples to illustrate how this framework can be used to express a wide variety of combinatorial problems, many of which are not generally considered as constraint satisfaction problems. We also show that certain key aspects of the mathematical structure of constraint satisfaction problems can be precisely described in terms of the notion of a Galois connection, which is a standard notion of universal algebra. Using this result, we obtain an algebraic characterisation of the property of minimality in a constraint satisfaction problem. We also obtain a similar algebraic criterion for determining whether or not a given set of solutions can be expressed by a constraint satisfaction problem with a given structure, or a given set of allowed constraint types.
- K.A. Baker and A.F. Pixley, Polynomial interpolation and the chinese remainder theorem, Math. Z. 143 (1975) 165–174. CrossRef
- D.A. Cohen, M. Gyssens and P.G. Jeavons, Derivation of constraints and database relations, in: Proceedings 2nd International Conference on Constraint Programming – CP' 96, Boston (August 1996), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1118 (Springer, New York, 1996) pp. 134–148.
- P.M. Cohn, Universal Algebra (Harper & Row, 1965).
- M. Garey and D.S. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness (Freeman, San Francisco, CA, 1979).
- M. Gyssens, P.G. Jeavons and D.A. Cohen, Decomposing constraint satisfaction problems using database techniques, Artif. Intell. 66(1) (1994) 57–89. CrossRef
- T. Ihringer and R. Pöschel, Collapsing clones, Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged) 58 (1993) 99–113.
- P. Jeavons, On the algebraic structure of combinatorial problems, Theoret. Comput. Sci. 200 (1998) 185–204. CrossRef
- P.G. Jeavons, D.A. Cohen and M.C. Cooper, Constraints, consistency and closure, Artif. Intell. 101 (1998) 251–265. CrossRef
- P.G. Jeavons, D.A. Cohen and M. Gyssens, A unifying framework for tractable constraints, in: Proceedings 1st International Conference on Constraint Programming – CP'95, Cassis, France, (September 1995), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 976 (Springer, New York, 1995) pp. 276–291.
- P.G. Jeavons, D.A. Cohen and M. Gyssens, A test for tractability, in: Proceedings 2nd International Conference on Constraint Programming – CP'96, Boston (August 1996), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1118 (Springer, New York, 1996) pp. 267–281.
- P.G. Jeavons, D.A. Cohen and M. Gyssens, Closure properties of constraints, J. ACM 44 (1997) 527–548. CrossRef
- P.G. Jeavons, D.A. Cohen and M. Gyssens, How to determine the expressive power of constraints, Constraints (1998, to appear).
- P.B. Ladkin and R.D. Maddux, On binary constraint problems, J. ACM 41 (1994) 435–469. CrossRef
- A.K. Mackworth, Consistency in networks of relations, Artif. Intell. 8 (1977) 99–118. CrossRef
- R.N. McKenzie, G.F. McNulty and W.F. Taylor, Algebras, Lattices and Varieties, Vol. 1 (Wadsworth and Brooks, CA, 1987).
- U. Montanari, Networks of constraints: Fundamental properties and applications to picture processing, Inform. Sci. 7 (1974) 95–132. CrossRef
- C.H. Papadimitriou, Computational Complexity (Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1994).
- E.L. Post, The Two-Valued Iterative Systems of Mathematical Logic, Annals of Mathematical Studies, Vol. 5 (Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1941).
- A. Szendrei, Clones in Universal Algebra, Seminaires de Mathematiques Superieures, Vol. 99 (University of Montreal, Montreal, 1986).
- Constraints and universal algebra
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence
Volume 24, Issue 1-4 , pp 51-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors