Compressive response and failure of fiber reinforced unidirectional composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The compressive response of polymer matrix fiber reinforced unidirectional composites (PMC's) is investigated via a combination of experiment and analysis. The study accounts for the nonlinear constitutive response of the polymer matrix material and examines the effect of fiber geometric imperfections, fiber mechanical properties and fiber volume fraction on the measured compressive strength and compressive failure mechanism.Glass and carbon fiber reinforced unidirectional composite specimens are manufactured in-house with fiber volume fractions ranging over 10∼60 percent. Compression test results with these specimens show that carbon fiber composites have lower compressive strengths than glass fiber composites. Glass fiber composites demonstrate a splitting failure mode for a range of low fiber volume fractions and a simultaneous splitting/kink banding failure mode for high fiber volume fractions. Carbon fiber composites show kink banding throughout the range of fiber volume fractions examined. Nonlinear material properties of the matrix, orthotropic material properties of the carbon fiber, initial geometric fiber imperfections and nonuniform fiber volume fraction are all included in an appropriate finite element analysis to explain some of the observed experimental results. A new analytical model predictionof the splitting failure mode shows that this failure mode is favorable for glass fiber composites, which is in agreement with test results. Furthermore, this modelis able to show the influence of fiber mechanical properties, fiber volume fraction and fiber geometry on the splitting failure mode.
- Ashby, M.F. (1992). Engineering Materials I: An Introduction to their Properties and Applications, Pergamon Press, New York.
- Budiansky, B. and Fleck, N.A. (1993). Compressive failure of fiber composites. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 41, 183-211.
- Camponeschi, E.T. Jr. (1991b). Compression of composite materials: A review. Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture (Third Volume) (Edited by T.K. O'Brien), ASTM STP 1110, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 550-578.
- Chatterjee, S., Adams, D. and Oplinger, D.W. (1993). Test methods for composites a status report, Volume II. Compression Test Methods. U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration Report DOT/FAA/CT-93/17.
- Cherepanov, G.P. (1979). Mechanics of Brittle Fracture, McGraw-Hill, 688-692.
- Cui, W.C., Wisnom, M.R. and Jones, M. (1992). A comparison of failure criteria to predict delamination of unidirectional glass/epoxy specimens waisted through the thickness. Composites 23, 158-165.
- Daniel, Isaac M., Hao-Ming, H. and Shi-Chang, W. (1996). Failure mechanisms in thick composites under compression loading. Composites: Part B. Engineering 27, 543-552.
- Drapier, S., Grandidier, J.-C. and Poitier-Ferry, M. (1998). A nonlinear numerical approach to the analysis of microbuckling. Composites Science and Technology 58, 785-790.
- Fleck, N.A. Compressive Failure of Fiber Composites, Advances in Applied Mechanics, Academic Press, New York, 33, 43-117.
- Gibson, R.F. Principles of Composite Material Mechanics, McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Guynn, E.G., Ochoa, O.O. and Bradley, W.L. (1992a). A parametric study of variables that affect fiber microbuckling initiation in composite laminates: Part 1 — Analyses. Journal of Composite Materials 26, 1594-1616.
- Guynn, E.G., Ochoa, O.O. and Bradley, W.L. (1992b). A parametric study of variables that affect fiber microbuckling initiation in composite laminates: Part 2 — Experiments. Journal of Composite Materials 26, 1617-1643.
- Hercules Advanced Materials and Systems Company, Product Data-Carbon Fiber Type IM7.
- Hsu, S.Y., Vogler, T.J. and Kyriakides, S. (1998). Compressive strength predictions for fiber composites. Journal of Applied Mechanics 65, 7-16.
- Jones, R.M. (1975). Mechanics of Composite Materials, Scripta Book Company, Washington, D.C.
- Kawabata, S. (1990). Measurement of the transverse mechanical properties of high-performance fibers. J. Text. Inst. 81(4), 432-447.
- Kumar, S. (1991). Advances in high performance fibers. Indian Journal of Fiber and Textile Research 16, 52-64.
- Kumar, S., Anderson, D.P. and Crasto, A.S. (1993). Carbon fiber compressive strength and its dependence on structure and morphology. Journal of Materials Science 28, 423-439.
- Kyriakides, S., Arseculeratne, R., Perry, E.J. and Liechti, K.M. (1995). On the compressive failure of fiber reinforced composites, Proceedings of the sixtieth birthday celebration of Prof. W.G. Knauss. International Journal of Solids and Structures 32(6/7), 689-738.
- Kyriakides, S. and Ruff, A.E. (1997). Aspects of the failure and postfailure of fiber composites in compression. Journal of Composite Materials 31(20), 2000-2037.
- Lee, S.H. (1998). Compressive Behavior of Fiber Reinforced Unidirectional Composites, PhD thesis, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Lo, K.H. and Chim, E.S.-M. (1992). Compressive strength of unidirectional composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 11, 838-896.
- Lyon, Richard E. (1991). Shear strength of a ductile material from torsion of solid cylinders. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 19(3), 240-243.
- Narayan, S. and Schadler, L. (1998). Private communication. Presentation at SES Meeting, September, Pullman, WA.
- Peebles, L.H. (1995). Carbon Fibers, CRC Press.
- Schapery, R.A. (1993). Compressive strength based on local buckling in viscoelastic composites. Proceedings of the Third Pan American Congress on Applied Mechanics, January.
- Schapery, R.A. (1995). Prediction of compressive strength and kink bands in composites using a work potential. International Journal of Solids and Structures 32(6/7), 739-765.
- Schoeppner, G.A. and Sierakowski, R.L. (1990). A review of compression test methods for organic matrix composites. Journal of Composites Technology and Research 12, 2-12.
- Shu, J.Y. and Fleck, N.A. (1997). Microbuckle initiation in fiber composites under multiaxial loading. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A 453, 2063-2083.
- Sohi, M.M., Hahn, H.T. and Williams, J.G. (1987). The Effect of Resin Toughness and Modulus on Compression Failure Modes of Quasi-Isotropic Graphite/Epoxy Laminates (Edited by N.J. Johnston), Toughened Composites, ASTM STP 937, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 37-60.
- Soutis, C., Fleck, N.A. and Smith, P.A. (1991). Failure prediction technique for compression loaded carbon fiber-epoxy laminate with open holes. Journal of Composite Materials 25, 1476-1498.
- Soutis, C., Berbinau, P., Goutas, P. and Curtis, P.T. (1998). Effect of off-axis ply orientation on 0° fiber microbuckling, submitted to Composites A.
- Sun, C.T. and Jun, A.W. (1994). Compressive strength of unidirectional fiber composites with matrix nonlinearity. Composites Science and Technology 52, 577-587.
- Swanson, S.R. (1992). A micromechanics model for in-situ compression strength of fiber composite laminates. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 114, 8-12.
- Waas, A.M., Babcock, C.D. Jr. and Knauss, W.G. (1990). An experimental study of compression failure of fibrous laminated composites in the presence of stress gradients. International Journal of Solids and Structures 26(9–10), 1071-1098.
- Waas, A.M. and Schultheisz, C.R. (1995). Compressive failure of composites, Parts I and II. Progress in Aerospace Sciences 32, 1-78.
- Warner, S.B. (1995). Fiber Science, Prentice Hall.
- Compressive response and failure of fiber reinforced unidirectional composites
International Journal of Fracture
Volume 100, Issue 3 , pp 275-306
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Kink banding
- compression strength
- Industry Sectors