Computerized Depression Screening and Awareness
The DEPRESSION Awareness, Recognition andTreatment (D/ART) program under the sponsorship of theNational Institutes of Health has made consistentefforts to help educate many communities around thenation about depression. One important aspect of thiseffort includes offering free screening for depressionto the general public. Since new technology oftenpromotes curiosity and interest, a computerizeddepression screening and awareness program was created touse at fairs and other local events. Individuals whoparticipated completed a computerized version of theCenter for Epidemiological Studies Depressed Mood Scale (CES-D) and then received a one pageprintout that described the common symptoms ofdepression, a score indicative of their level ofdepressed mood, a brief explanation of the score, and atelephone number where additional information could beobtained. This paper details the construction of thecomputerized version of the CES-D including anevaluation of psychometric properties and consumersatisfaction with the program.
- Beck, A. T., Steer, R. A., & Garbin, M. G. (1988). Psychometric properties of the Beck Depression Inventory: Twenty-five years of evaluation. Clinical Psychology Review, 8, 77–100. CrossRef
- Beck, A.T. (1978). Depression Inventory. Philadelphia: Center for Cognitive Therapy.
- Fischer, J. & Corcoran, K. (1994). Measures for Clinical Practice (2nd ed.). New York: The Free Press.
- Greenberg, P. E., Stiglin, L. E., Finkelstein, S. N., Berndt, E. R. (1993). Depression: A neglected major illness. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 54, 419–424.
- Hakstian, R. A. & McLean, P. D. (1989). Brief screen for depression. Psychological Assessment, 1, 139–141. CrossRef
- Jacobson, N. S., & Truax, P. (1991). Clinical significance: A statistical approach to defining meaningful change in psychotherapy research. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 12–19. CrossRef
- Klerman, G. L. & Weissman, M. M. (1989). Increasing rates of depression. Journal of the American Medical Association, 261, 2229–2235. CrossRef
- Nietzel, M. T., Russel, R. L., Hemmings, K. A., & Gretter, M. L. (1987). The clinical significance of psychotherapy for unipolar depression: A meta-analytic approach to social comparison. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 156–161. CrossRef
- Piotrowski, C. & Keller, J. W. (1989). Psychological testing in outpatient mental health facilities: A national study. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 20, 423–425. CrossRef
- Radloff, L. S. (1977). The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement, 1, 385–401.
- Rappaport, M. H. & Suminski, M. (1994). National Depression Screening Day: The San Diego experience. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 45, 1042–1044.
- Regier, D. A., Hirschfeld, R. M. A., Goodwin, F. K., Burke, J. D., Lazar, J. B. & Judd, L. L. (1988). The NIMH Depression Awareness, Recognition, and Treatment Program: structure, aims, and scientific basis. American Journal of Psychiatry, 145, 1351–1357.
- Regier, D. A. & Moscicki, E. K. (1987). Reduction of the suicide rate in young people: Progress review. Washington D.C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Regier, D. A., Narrow, W. E., Rae, D. S., Manderscheid, R. W. et al. (1993). The de facto US mental and addictive disorders service system: Epidemiologic Catchment Area prospective 1-year prevalence rates of disorders and services. Archives of General Psychiatry, 50, 85–94.
- Wells, K. B., Stewart, A. & Hays, R. D. (1989). The functioning and well-being of depressed patients. Journal of the American Medical Association, 262, 914–919. CrossRef
- Zimmerman, M., Coryell, W., Corenthal, C., & Wilson, S. (1986). A self-report scale to diagnose major depressive disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry, 43, 1076–1081.
- Zung, W. W. K. (1965). A self-rating depression scale. Archives of General Psychiatry, 12, 63–70.
- Computerized Depression Screening and Awareness
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 27-38
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links