The Helping Alliance in Case Management for Homeless Persons with Severe Mental Illness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study examined the role of the helpingalliance in case management with homeless persons whohave a severe mental illness. A strong alliance aftertwo months of treatment was marginally associated with three outcomes: higher consumersatisfaction, less severe global symptom severity, andgreater hostility. The only outcome associated with thealliance after fourteen months of treatment was consumer satisfaction. Several variables predicted astrong helping alliance at month two, including: beingAfrican American, low hostility, more perceived needs,and more program contacts. The only variable that predicted a strong alliance at month fourteenwas a strong alliance at month two.
- Bahr, H., & Caplow, T. (1974). Old men drunk and sober. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Barrera, M. (1981). Social support of pregnant adolescents: Assessment issues. In B.H. Gottlieb (Ed.), Social networks and social support. Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Burger, G.K., Calsyn, R.J., Morse, G.A., Trusty, M., & Klinkenberg, W.D. (in press). Factor structure of the expanded Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Burns, B.J., & Santos, A.B. (1995). Assertive community treatment: An update of randomized trials. Psychiatric Services, 46, 669–675.
- Calsyn, R.J., Morse, G.A., Klinkenberg, W.D., & Trusty, M.L. (1997). Reliability and validity of self-report data of homeless mentally ill individuals. Evaluation and Program Planning, 20, 47–54. CrossRef
- Davis, L.E., & Proctor, E.K. (1989). Race, gender, and class. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Draine, J. (1996). Case manager alliance with clients in an older cohort. Community Mental Health Journal, 32, 125–134.
- Flaskerud, J.H. (1990). Matching client and therapist ethnicity, language, and gender: A review of research. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 11, 321–336.
- Frank, A.F., & Gunderson, J.G. (1990). The role of the therapeutic alliance in the treatment of schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry, 47, 228–236.
- Gehrs, M., & Goering, P. (1994). The relationship between the helping alliance and rehabilitation outcomes of schizophrenia. Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 18(2), 43–54.
- Henry, W.P., & Strupp, H.H. (1994). The therapeutic alliance as interpersonal process. In A.O. Horvath & L.S. Greenberg (Eds.), The helping alliance: Theory, research, and practice(pp. 51–84). New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Horvath, A.O. (1994). Empirical validation of Bordin’s pantheoretical model of the alliance: The helping alliance inventory perspective. In A.O. Horvath & L.S. Greenberg (Eds.), The helping alliance: Theory, research, and practice(pp. 109–128). New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Horvath, A.O., & Symonds, B.D. (1991). Relation between helping alliance and outcome in psychotherapy: A meta-analysis. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 38, 139–149. CrossRef
- Lamb, H.R. (1980). Therapist-case managers: More than brokers of services. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 31, 762–764.
- Larsen, D.L., Attkinson, C.C., Hargreaves, W.A., & Nguyen, T.D. (1979). Assessment of client/ patient satisfaction: Development of a general scale. Evaluation and Program Planning, 2, 197–207. CrossRef
- Luborsky, L. (1994). Therapeutic alliances as predictors of psychotherapy outcomes: Factors explaining the predictive success. In A.O. Horvath & L.S. Greenberg (Eds.), The helping alliance: Theory, research, and practice(pp. 38–50). New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Lukoff, O., Neuchterlein, K., & Ventura, J. (1986). Manual for the expanded Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 13, 261–276.
- Morse, G.A., & Calsyn, R.J. (1986). Mentally disturbed homeless people in St. Louis: Needy, willing, but underserved. International Journal of Mental Health, 14, 74–94.
- Morse, G.A., Calsyn, R.J., Allen, G., & Kenny, D.A. (1994). Helping the homeless mentally ill: What variables mediate and moderate successful outcomes? American Journal of Community Psychology, 22, 661–683.
- Morse, G.A., Calsyn, R.J., Allen, G., Tempelhoff, B., & Smith, R. (1992). Experimental comparison of the effects of three treatment programs for homeless mentally ill people. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 43, 1005–1010.
- Morse, G.A., Calsyn, R.J., Klinkenberg, W.D., Trusty, M., Gerber, F., Smith, R., Tempelhoff, B., & Ahmad, L. (in press). An experimental comparison of three types of case management for homeless mentally ill persons. Psychiatric Services.
- NCS Assessments. (1993). BSI Manual. Minneapolis, MN: Author.
- Neale, M.S., & Rosenheck, R.A. (1995). Therapeutic alliance and outcome in a VA intensive case management program. Psychiatric Services, 46, 719–721.
- Olfson, M. (1990). Assertive community treatment: An evaluation of the experimental evidence. Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 41, 634–641.
- Priebe, P.D., & Gruyters, T. (1993). The role of the helping alliance in psychiatric community care: A prospective study. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 181, 552–557.
- Ryan, C., Sherman, R., & Judd, C. (1994). Accounting for case manager effects in the evaluation of mental health services. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 62, 965–974. CrossRef
- Solomon, P., Draine, J., & Delaney, M.A. (1995). The working alliance and consumer case management. Journal of Mental Health Administration, 22(2), 126–134.
- Sue, S., Fujino, D.C., Hu, L., Takeuchi, D.T., & Zane, N.W.S. (1991). Community mental health services for ethnic minority groups: A test of the cultural responsiveness hypothesis. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 533–540. CrossRef
- Tinsley, H.E.A., Workman, K.R., & Kass, R.A. (1980). A factor analysis of the domain of client expectancies about counseling. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 27, 561–570. CrossRef
- The Helping Alliance in Case Management for Homeless Persons with Severe Mental Illness
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 34, Issue 6 , pp 569-578
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links