MEASURING THE IMPACT OF INCOME AND FINANCIAL AID OFFERS ON COLLEGE ENROLLMENT DECISIONS
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study analyzes the impact of demographic,socioeconomic, and financial factors on the enrollmentbehavior of accepted college applicants. The receipt offinancial aid had a positive impact on the enrollment decisions of accepted applicants. For every$1,000 increase in the amount of aid offered, theprobability of enrollment increased between 1.1% and2.5%. Grants and loans had the expected positive impact on enrollment, but work study did not enticeprospective students unless it was packaged with somegrant or loan assistance. Upper-income applicants wereless likely to enroll at this institution regardless of financial aid incentives.
- Astin, A. (1975). Preventing Students from Dropping Out. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Cabrera, A. F., Nora, A., and Castaneda, M. B. (1992). The role of finances in the persistence process: A structural model. Research in Higher Education33(5): 571-593.
- Carlson, D. E. (1975). A Flow of Funds Model for Assessing the Impact of Alternative Student Aid Programs. Menlo Park, CA: Stanford Research Institute.
- Leslie, L. I., and Brinkman, P. T. (1988). The Economic Value of Higher Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- McGrath, M., and Braunstein, A. (1997). The prediction of freshmen attrition: An examination of the importance of certain demographic, academic, financial, and social factors. College Student Journal31(3): 396-408.
- McPherson, M. S., and Shapiro, M. O. (1989). Measuring the Effects of Federal Student Aid: An Assessment of Some Methodological and Empirical Problems. Washington, D.C.: Pelavia Associates.
- Orfield, G. (1992). Money, equity, and college access. Harvard Educational Review62: 337-372.
- St. John, E. P. (1989a). The influence of student aid on persistence. Journal of Student Financial Aid19(3): 52-68.
- St. John, E. P. (1989b). The impact of student aid on access to higher education: An analysis of progress with special consideration of minority enrollm ent. Research in Higher Education30: 563-581.
- St. John, E. P. (1990a). Price response in enrollment decisions: An analysis of the high school and beyond sophomore cohort. Research in Higher Education31(2): 161-176.
- St. John, E. P. (1990b). Price response in persistence decisions: An analysis of the high School and beyond sophomore cohort. Research in Higher Education31(4): 387-403.
- St. John, E. P. (1992). Workable models for institutional research on the impact of student financial aid. Journal of Student Financial Aid22(3): 13-26.
- St. John, E. P. (1993). Untangling the web: Using price-response measures in enrollment projections. Journal of Higher Education64(6): 676-695.
- St. John, E. P. (1994). Assessing tuition and student aid strategies: Using price-response measures to simulate pricing alternatives. Research in Higher Education35(3): 301-334.
- St. John, E. P., and Somers, P. A. (1993). Assessing the impact of financial aid offers on enrollm ent decisions. Journal of Student Financial Aid23(3): 7-12.
- St. John, E. P., Andrieu, S., and Oescher, J. (1992). Price-response in within-year persistence by traditional college-age students in four-year colleges. Journal of Student Financial Aid22(1): 27-38.
- St. John, E. P., Andrieu, S., Oescher, J., and Starkey, J. B. (1994). The influence of student aid on within-year persistence by traditional college-age students in four-year colleges. Research in Higher Education35(4): 455-480.
- Somers, P. A. (1993). Are mondo scholarships effective? Journal of Student Financial Aid23(2): 37-38.
- Tinto, V. (1987). Leaving College: Rethinking the Causes and Cures of Student Attrition, 1st ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Tinto, V. (1993). Leaving College: Rethinking the Causes and Cures of Student Attrition, 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- MEASURING THE IMPACT OF INCOME AND FINANCIAL AID OFFERS ON COLLEGE ENROLLMENT DECISIONS
Research in Higher Education
Volume 40, Issue 3 , pp 247-259
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links