Essential Case Management Services for Young Children in Foster Care
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A growing number of children in the UnitedStates are being placed into foster care. Past studiesindicate that effective case manager interventions havehelped foster families with a variety of different problems. This study enrolled a randomlyselected sample of 130 children under age four who hadbeen newly placed into foster care. The purpose of thisstudy was to identify the services needed by foster care families and determine which servicesrequire the most case manager effort. Consistent withother research, many foster care children in this studyexhibited developmental, medical and psychosocial concerns. Nevertheless, we found that it wasservices aimed at the foster care parents, rather thanthe foster care children, that required the mostlabor-intensive case management services.
- Berkowitz, G., Halfon, N., & Klee, L. (1992). Improving Access to Health Care: Case Management for Vulnerable Children. Social Work in Health Care, 17(1), 101-123.
- Cain, C. E., & Barth, R. P. (1991). Health beliefs and practices of foster parents. Social Work in Health Care, 15(2), 49-61.
- Carbino, R. (1991). Advocacy for foster families in the United States facing child abuse allegations: how social agencies and foster parents are responding to the problem. Child Welfare League of America, 70(2), 131-149.
- Combs-Orme, T., Chernoff, R. G., & Kager, V. A. (1991). Utilization of health care by foster children: Application of a theoretical model. Children and Youth Services Review, 13(1–2), 113-129.
- Division of Programs for Special Populations. (1992). Case Management for Special Populations. Washington, D.C.: US Department of Health & Human Services, Bureau of Primary Health Care.
- General Accounting Office. (1995). Health Insurance for Children(GAO∖HEHS-95-175). Washington, DC.
- Goerge, R., Wulczyn, F., & Fanshel, D. (1994). A Foster Care Research Agenda for the '90s. Child Welfare League of America, 73(5), 525-549.
- Halfon, N., & Klee, L. (1991). Health and development services for children with multiple needs: The child in foster care. Yale Law and Policy Review, 9, 71-95.
- Halfon, N., Mendonca, A., & Berkowitz, G. (1995). Health status of children in foster care. Archive of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 149, 386-392.
- Jessup, M., & Soman, L. A. (1994). Models of Case Management for Pregnant and Parenting Addicted Women and their Families. University of California San Francisco.
- Klee, L., & Halfon, N. (1987). Mental health care for foster children in California. Child Abuse and Neglect, 11, 63-74.
- Klee, L., Soman, L. A., & Halfon, N. (1992). Implementing Critical Health Services for Children in Foster Care. Child Welfare, 71(2), 100-111.
- Loomis, J. F. (1988). Case management in health care. Health and Social Work, 12, 219-226.
- Moffatt, M. E. K., Peddie, M., Stulginskas, J., Pless, I. B., & Steinmetz, N. (1985). Health Care Delivery To Foster Children: A Study. Health and Social Work, 10, 129-137.
- Penzerro, R. M., & Lein, L. (1995). Burning Their Bridges: Disordered Attachment and Foster Care Discharge. Child Welfare League of America, 54(2), 351-366.
- Schorr, E. L. (1982). The foster care system and health status of foster children. Pediatrics, 69(5), 521-528.
- Simms, M. D. (1989). The foster care clinic: A community program to identify treatment needs of children in foster care. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 10(3), 121-128.
- Urquiza, A. J., Wirtz, S. J., Peterson, M. S., & Singer, V. A. (1994). Screening and evaluating abused and neglected children entering protective custody. Child Welfare, 73(2), 155-171.
- Wright, R. G., Sklebar, H. T., & Heiman, J. R. (1987). Patterns of case management activity in an intensive community support program: the first year. Community Mental Health Journal, 23(1), 53-59.
- Essential Case Management Services for Young Children in Foster Care
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 35, Issue 5 , pp 421-430
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links