Sexual Coercion in India: An Exploratory Analysis Using Demographic Variables
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A 14-item Sexual Coercion Inventory (SCI) wasadministered to an urban university sample in WesternIndia. Twenty-six percent of the sample reported a totalof 160 incidents of sexual coercion ranging in severity from unwanted kissing to sexualintercourse. The most common outcome was intercourse andwas followed by kissing and fondling. No genderdifferences were discovered regarding victim status ortypes of coercion tactics experienced. A MANOVAanalysis found no overall gender effect, but maritalstatus and protected class membership did have asignificant effect with people who are married andprotected class members reporting more sexual coercion.Reasons for the lack of an overall gender effect andlimitations of this research are discussed.
- Beck, A. T., and Steer, R. (1987). The Beck Depression Inventory, The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX.
- Brand, P., and Kidd, A. H. (1986). Frequency of physical aggression in heterosexual and homosexual dyads. Psychol. Rep. 59: 1307–1313.
- Christopher, F. S. (1988). An initial investigation into a continuum of premarital sexual pressure. J. Sex Res. 25: 255–266.
- Christopher, F. S., and Frandsen, M. M. (1990). Strategies of influence in sex and dating. J. Soc. Interpers. Relation. 7: 89–106.
- Duncan, D. (1990). Prevalence of sexual assault victimization among heterosexual and gay/lesbian university students. Psychol. Rep. 66: 65–66.
- Garrett-Gooding, J., and Senter, R. (1987). Attitudes and acts of sexual aggression on a university campus. Sociol. Inquiry 57: 348–371.
- Hurst, C. E. (1992). Social Inequality, Allyn and Bacon, Boston, MA.
- Jack, D. C. (1991). Silencing the Self: Women and Depression, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Kanekar, S., Shaherwalla, A., Franco, B., Kunju, T., and Pinto, A. J. (1991). The acquaintance predicament of a rape victim. J. Appl. Soc. Psychol. 21: 1524–1544.
- Koss, M. P., and Dinero, T. E. (1989). Discriminant analysis of risk factors for sexual victimization among a national sample of college women. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 57: 242–250.
- Koss, M. P., Gidycz, C. A., and Wisniewski, N. (1987). The scope of rape: Incidence and prevalence of sexual aggression and victimization in a national sample of higher education students. J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 55: 162–170.
- Locke, H. J., and Wallace, K. M. (1959). Short marital-adjustment and prediction tests: Their reliability and validity. Marriage Family Living 251–255.
- Luther, S. S., and Quinlan, D. M. (1993). Parental image in two cultures: A study of women in India and America. J. Cross-Cult. Psychol. 24: 186–202.
- McKinney, K. (1986). Perceptions of courtship violence: Gender difference and involvement. Free Inquiry Creat. Sociol. 14: 61–66.
- Menon, S. A., and Kanekar, S. (1992). Attitudes towards sexual harassment in India. J. Appl. Soc. Psychol. 22: 1940–1952.
- Muehlenhard, C. L., and Cook, W. S. (1988). Men's self-reports of unwanted sexual activity. J. Sex Res. 24: 58–72.
- Mukherjee, M. (1996). Toward gender-aware data systems. Econ. Polit. Week. Oct. 26: 63–71.
- Muehlenhard, C. L., and Linton, M. A. (1987). Date rape and sexual aggression in dating situations: Incidence and risk factors. J. Counsel. Psychol. 34: 186–196.
- Nanda, S. (1992). Arranging a marriage in India. In Devita, P. R. (ed.), The Naked Anthropologist: Tales from Around the World,Wadsworth, Belmont, CA, pp. 137–143.
- Nathawat, S. S., and Mathur, A. (1992). Marital adjustment and subjective well-being in Indianeducated housewives and working women. J. Psychol. 127: 353–358.
- National Crime Records Bureau (1995). Crime in India, Author & Ministry of Home Affairs, India.
- Pathak, I. (1996). Violence against women and women's human rights, Unpublished manuscript.
- Poppen, P. J., and Segal, N. J. (1988). The influence of sex and sex-role orientation on sexual coercion. Sex Roles 19: 689–701.
- Rayaprol, A. (1996). Gender ideologies and practices among South Indian immigrants in Pittsburgh. Http://wwwhost.cc.utexas.parna.rayaprol.art.html.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the Adolescent Self-Image, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- Sharma, S. S. (1994). Untouchables and Brahmins in an Indian Village. In Curtis J., and Tepperman, L. (eds.), Have and the Have-Nots: An International Reader on Social Inequality (eds.), Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Smith, R. E., Pine, C. S., and Hawley, M. E. (1988). Social cognitions about male victims of female sexual assault. J. Sex Res. 24: 101–112.
- Sorenson, S. B., Stein, J. A., Siegal, J. M., Golding, J. M., and Burman, M. A. (1987). The prevalence of adult sexual assault: The Los Angeles epidemiological catchment area project. Am. J. Epidemiol. 126: 1154–1164.
- Struckman-Johnson, C. (1988). Forced Sex on dates: It happens to men, too. J. Sex Res. 24: 234–240.
- Struckman-Johnson, C., and Struckman-Johnson, D. (1994). Men pressured and forced into sexual experience. Arch. Sex. Behav. 23: 93–114.
- Tang, C. S., Critelli, J. W., and Porter, J. F. (1995). Sexual aggression and victimization in dating relationships among Chinese college students. Arch. Sex. Behav. 24: 47–53.
- Waldner-Haugrud, L. K., and Gratch, L.V. (1997). Sexual coercion in gay and lesbian relationships: Descriptives and gender differences. Violence Vict. 12: 87–98.
- Waldner-Haugrud, L. K., and Magruder, B. (1995). Male and female sexual victimization in dating relationships: Gender differences in coercion techniques and outcomes. Violence Victims 10: 203–215.
- Waterman, C. K., Dawson, L. J., and Bologna, M. J. (1989). Sexual coercion in gay male and lesbian relationships: Predictors and implications for support services. J. Sex Res. 26: 118–124.
- Sexual Coercion in India: An Exploratory Analysis Using Demographic Variables
Archives of Sexual Behavior
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 523-538
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- SEXUAL COERCION
- SEXUAL VICTIMIZATION
- MARITAL RELATIONS
- SEXUAL BEHAVIOR
- Industry Sectors