ETHNIC COMMUNITIES WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY: An Examination of Factors Influencing the Personal Adjustment of International Students
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
International students frequently encounterproblems in adjusting to their new social environmentwhen studying at American institutions of highereducation. This paper contends that an importantstrategy used by international students in theadjustment process is to establish social relationshipswith other persons with a similar cultural background ornationality and form ethnic communities within the context of the university. Participation insuch an ethnic community serves to buffer internationalstudents from problems associated with a lack ofassimilation of American culture and an inability to effectively interact with Americans. This papertests the conditional hypotheses that assimilation ofAmerican culture and the establishment of social tieswith Americans influence the personal adjustment of an international student, only when thestudent has not established strong ties with otherpeople from a similar cultural background. The number ofstrong ties established with other coculturals was found to have the strongest relationship withthe personal adjustment of international students. Therelationship between assimilation of American cultureand personal adjustment was found to be conditional on the number of strong ties established withother coculturals whereas the establishment of strongties with Americans was found to be independentlyrelated to personal adjustment.
- Aiken, L. S., West, S. G. (1991) Multiple Regression: Testing and Interpreting Interactions. Sage, Beverly Hills, CA
- Alexander, A. A., Workneh, F., Klein, M. H., Miller, M. H. Psychotherapy and the foreign student. In: Pedersen, P., Conner, W. S., Draguns, J. G. eds. (1976) Counseling Across Cultures. The University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu, pp. 82-97
- Amir, Y. (1983) Contact Hypothesis in Ethnic Relations. Wadsworth, Belmont, CA
- Anderson, M., and Louis, K. S. (1994). The graduate student experience and subscription to the norms of science. Research in Higher Education273-299.
- Arubayi, E. A. (1980). A comparative analysis of identified problems as perceived by Nigerian students enrolled in the regent's system of Kansas. M.A. thesis, Kansas State University.
- Baker, R. W., Siryk, B. (1984) Measuring adjustment to college. Journal of Counseling Psychology 31: pp. 179-189
- Basu, A. K., Ames, R. G. (1970) Cross-cultural contact and attitude formation. Sociology and Social Research 55: pp. 5-16
- Bednar, R., Wells, G., Peterson, S. (1989) Self-Esteem: Paradoxes and Innovations in Clinical Theory and Practice. APA, Washington, DC
- Bennett, C., Okinaka, A. M. (1990) Factors related to persistence among Asian, black, Hispanic, and white undergraduates at a predominantly white university: Comparison between first and fourth year cohorts. Urban Review 22: pp. 33-60
- Berry, W. D., Feldman, S. (1985) Multiple Regression in Practice. Sage, Beverly Hills, CA
- Chartrand, J. M. (1992) An empirical test of a model of nontraditional student adjustment. Journal of Counseling Psychology 39: pp. 193-202
- Coopersmith, S. (1967) The Antecedents of Self-Esteem. Freeman & Co., San Francisco
- Covington, M. V. Self-esteem and failure in school: Analysis and policy implications. In: Mecca, A. M., Smelser, N. J., Vasconcellos, J. eds. (1989) The Social Importance of Self-Esteem. University of California Press, Berkeley, pp. 72-124
- Fox, J. (1991) Regression Diagnostics. Sage, Beverly Hills, CA
- Goldfield, S. M., Quandt, R. E. (1965) Some tests for heteroscedasticity. Journal of the American Statistical Association 60: pp. 539-547
- Gordon, M. (1964) Assimilation in American Life: The Role of Race, Religion and National Origin. Oxford University Press, New York
- Hull, W. F. (1978) Foreign Students in the United States of America: Coping Behavior Within the Educational Environment. Praeger, New York
- Hurtado, S., Carter, D. F., Spuler, A. (1996) Latino student transition to college: Assessing difficulties and factors in successful college adjustment. Research in Higher Education 37: pp. 135-157
- Jacaard, J., Tunisi, R., Wan, C. K. (1990) Interaction Effects in Multiple Regression. Sage, Beverly Hills, CA
- Johnson, D. C. (1971) Problems of foreign students. International Educational and Cultural Exchange 7: pp. 61-68
- Klein, M. H. (1977). Overview: Adaptation to New Cultural Environments. National Institute of Education, U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare, ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 142 650.
- Labor, J. G. (1965) The relation of some selected personal orientations and background factors to the adjustment of foreign students in an American university. Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Mruk, C. (1995) Self-Esteem: Research, Theory, and Practice. Springer, New York
- Nora, A., Cabrera, A. F. (1996) The role of perceptions of prejudice and discrimination on the adjustment of minority college students. Journal of Higher Education 67: pp. 119-149
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978) Psychometric Theory. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York
- Quintana, S. M., Vogel, M. C., Ybarra, V. C. (1991) Meta-analysis of Latino students' adjustment in higher education. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Science 13: pp. 155-168
- Rex, J., Mason, D. (1986) Theories of Race and Ethnic Relations. Cambridge University Press, New York
- Rosenberg, M. (1979) Conceiving the Self. Robert E. Krieger, Malabar, FL
- Rosenberg, M. (1989) Society and the Adolescent Self Image. Wesleyan University Press, Middletown, CT
- Rosenberg, M., Schooler, C., Schoenback, C., Rosenberg, F. (1995) Global self-esteem and specific self-esteem: Different concepts, different outcomes. American Sociological Review 95: pp. 141-156
- Salim, S. B. (1984). Adjustment problems of Malaysian students at Western Michigan University. Ph.D. dissertation, Western Michigan University.
- Selltiz, C. (1963) Attitudes and Social Relations of Foreign Students in the United States. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis
- Sewell, W. H., Davidson, O. M. (1956) The adjustment of Scandinavian students. Journal of Social Issues 12: pp. 9-19
- Skager, R., Kerst, E. Alcohol and drug use and self-esteem: A psychological perspective. In: Mecca, A. M., Smelser, N. J., Vasconcellos, J. eds. (1989) The Social Importance of Self-Esteem. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, pp. 248-293
- Smedley, B. D., Myers, H. F., Harrell, S. P. (1993) Minority-status stresses and the college adjustment of ethnic minority freshmen. Journal of Higher Education 64: pp. 434-452
- Smelser, N. J. Self-esteem and social problems: An introduction. In: Mecca, A. M., Smelser, N. J., Vasconcellos, J. eds. (1989) The Social Importance of Self-Esteem. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, pp. 248-293
- Stafford, T. H., Marion, P. B., Salter, M. L. (1980) Adjustment of international students. National Association of Student Personnel Administration 18: pp. 40-45
- Taft, R. Coping with unfamiliar culture. In: Warren, N. eds. (1977) Studies in Cross-Culture Psychology. Academic Press, London, pp. 121-153
- Tayash, A. F. (1988). Ethnic media in the United States: A descriptive study of Arab-American media. Ph.D. dissertation, Wayne State University.
- Tierney, W. G. (1992) An anthropological analysis of student participation in college. Journal of Higher Education 63: pp. 603-618
- Tinto, V. (1982) Limits of theory and practice in student attrition. Journal of Higher Education 53: pp. 687-700
- Vaz, P. (1984). Stress, adjustment and social relations of foreign students. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Wellman, B. (1979) The community question: The intimate networks of East Yorkers. American Journal of Sociology 84: pp. 1201-1231
- ETHNIC COMMUNITIES WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY: An Examination of Factors Influencing the Personal Adjustment of International Students
Research in Higher Education
Volume 39, Issue 6 , pp 699-725
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors