Mercury intrusion porosimetry of plasma-sprayed ceramic
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Limitations and corrections for the application of mercury intrusion porosimetry (MIP) in measuring plasma-sprayed ceramic (alumina-titania) deposits are studied. The data reduction procedures of the MIP technique are discussed; the importance of which changes between different machines and samples. Thus, it is proposed that each published result should be accompanied by the specific data reduction procedures and assumptions used so that data may be compared. Preparation of plasma-sprayed ceramic samples has a significant influence on the MIP result. Sample fragmentation into irregular pieces (below about 1.2 mm effective diameter) prior to the MIP measurement resulted in an increase of surface effects such that the surface roughness dominated the MIP data and the measured porosity volume increased. Variation in sample thickness between 0.8 and 4.7 mm did not change the measured porosity. Orientation (parallel or perpendicular to the substrate) of the flat surface did not have a measurable effect on the MIP results.
- S. J. GREGG and K. S. W. SING, in “Adsorption, surface area and porosity” (Academic Press, London, 1982) p. 173.
- S. LOWELL, in “Introduction to powder surface area” (John Willey & Sons, New York, 1979).
- T. ALLEN, in “Particle size measurement” (Chapman and Hall, New York, 1990) p. 653.
- R. A. COOK and K. C. HOVER, Amer. Concr. Inst. Mater. J. 91 (1994) 152.
- O. Z. CEBECI, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 78 (1980) 383. CrossRef
- J. KLOUBEK, ibid. 1 (1994) 10. CrossRef
- D. H. EVERETT, Charact. Porous Solids 39 (1988) 1.
- D. N. WINSLOW, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 67 (1978) 42. CrossRef
- S. LOWELL and J. E. SHIELDS, Powder Technol. 28 (1981) 201. CrossRef
- R. W. SMITHWICK and E. L. FULLER Jr, ibid. 38 (1984) 165. CrossRef
- J. KLOUBEK, ibid. 29 (1981) 63. CrossRef
- D. K. EFREMOV and V. B. FENELONOV, Kinet. Catal. 34 (1993) 625.
- H. H. D. LEE, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 73 (1990) 2309. CrossRef
- D. M. SMITH, D. P. GALLEGOS and D. L. STERMER, Powder Technol. 53 (1987) 11. CrossRef
- R. G. JENKINS and M. B. RAO, ibid. 38 (1984) 177. CrossRef
- C. C. BARTENEV, Obmen Opytom Inf. (Exchange of experience and information) 11 (1976) 98 [in Russian].
- P. EXNAR, Ceramics-Silikaty 38 (1994) 16.
- J. ILAVSKY, A. J. ALLEN, G. G. LONG, S. KRUEGER, H. HERMAN, C. C. BERNDT and A. N. GOLAND, in “Proceedings of the 14th International Thermal Spray Conference”, Kobe, Japan, May 1995, edited by A. Ohmori (High Temperature Society of Japan, Osaka, 1995) p. 483.
- J. ILAVSKY, PhD dissertation, State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA (1994).
- A. HADDADI, F. NARDOU, A. GRIMAUD and P. FAUCHAIS, in “1995 Advances in Thermal Spray Science and Technology”, edited by C. C. Berndt and S. Sampath (ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1995) p. 249.
- R. Mc PHERSON, in “Proceedings of 5th Conference on Aluminium Oxide”, Prague, Cechoslovakia, August 1990, edited by V. Brozek and V. Rene (Czechoslovak Science and Technical Society, Prague, 1990) p. 42.
- Mercury intrusion porosimetry of plasma-sprayed ceramic
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 32, Issue 15 , pp 3925-3932
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors