Kefir production in Iran
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Kefir grains were prepared in a goat-hide bag using pasteurized milk inoculated with sheep intestinal flora, followed by culture of the surface layer in milk. From the grain, 11 strains of lactic acid bacteria, non-lactic acid bacteria and yeasts were isolated and identified. Six samples of kefir were prepared by fermenting pasteurized milk for different lengths of time. Sensory evaluation identified the sample prepared by 24 h fermentation as the best product.
- Angulo, L., Lopez, E. & Lema Cesar, E. 1993 Microflora present in kefir grains of the Galician Region (north-west of Spain). Journal of Dairy Research 60, 263-267.
- Barnett, J.A., Payne, R.W. & Yarrow, D. 1990 Yeast characteristics and identification, 2nd edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University press.
- Duitschaever, C.L., Kemp, N. & Emmons, D. 1987 Pure culture formulation and procedure for the production of kefir Milchwissenschaft 42, 80-82.
- Garvie, E. I. 1986 Genus Leuconostoc. In Bergey's manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 2, eds Sneath. P.H.A., Mair N.S. & Sharpe, M.E. pp. 1075-1070. Baltimore, MD: Wiliams and Wilkins.
- Hardie, J.M. 1986 Genus Streptococcus. In Bergey's manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 2, eds Sneath, P.H.A, Mair, N.S. & Sharpe, M.E. pp. 1043-1071. Baltimore, MD: Wiliams and Wilkins.
- Honsono, A., Tanare, T. & Otani, H. 1990 Binding properties of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Kefir milk mutagenic amino acid pyrolyzates. Milchwissenschaft 45, 647-657.
- Kandler, O. & Weiss, N. 1986 Genus Lactobacillus. In Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology, Vol. 1, eds Sneath, P.H.A., Mair, N.S. & Sharpe M.E. pp. 1209-1234, Baltimore, MD: Wiliams and Wilkins.
- Plummer, D.T. 1989 An introduction to practical biochemistry, 3rd edn. London: McGraw-Hill.
- Rossi, J. & Govvetti, M. 1991 Multistarter for making Kefir by continuous process. Annali di Microbiologia and Enzimologia 4, 223-226.
- Sandine, W.E., Ellider, P.R. & Anderson, A.W. 1957 A simple apparatus for measurement of gas production and activity of lactic starter cultures. Milk product Journal, 48, 12-15.
- Shiomi, M., Sasaki, K., Murofushi, M. & Aibara, K. 1982 Antitumor activity in mice orally administered polysaccharide from Kefir grains. Japanese Journal of Medical Science and Biology 35, 75-80.
- Kefir production in Iran
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 13, Issue 5 , pp 579-581
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Kefir grain
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Biotechnology Centre, Iranian Research Organization for Science and Technology, No. 71 Forsat Street, Enghelab Ave, Tehran, Iran
- 2. School of Agriculture, Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran