Specific binding of inorganic mercury to Na- K-ATPase in rat liver plasma membrane and signal transduction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Specific binding of Hg to ouabain-sensitive Na-K-ATPase of rat liver plasma membrane was demonstrated with a K of 2.64¥10 and B of 1.6nmole mg protein. The binding of mercury to the enzyme also causes significant inhibition of the enzyme, which is greater than its ouabain sensitivity. In the cytosol Hg binding to reduced glutathione (GSH) is stimulated by GSH-S-transferase (GST), the activity of which was found to be significantly enhanced by 15mM Na and 10mM Hg. It is proposed that the transport of Hg2 inside the cell takes place by increased dissociation of Hg from the membrane due to greater avidity of Hg towards cytosolar GSH binding. The GSH-Hg complex enters the nucleus where it dissociates to bind the metal response element (MRE) of the metallothionein (MT) gene to induce MT transcription.
- Alberts B, Bray D, Lewin J, et al.1994 Molecular Biology of the Cell. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc.
- Angle CR, Thomas DJ, Swanson SA. 1993 Osteotoxicity of cadmium and lead in HOS TE 85 and ROS 17/2.B cells: relation to metallothionein induction and mitochondrial binding. Biometals 6, 179–184.
- Anner BM, Moosmayer M. 1992 Mercury inhibits Na-KATPase primarily at the cytoplasmic side. Am J Physiol 262, 843–848.
- Anner BM, Moosmayer M, Imesch E. 1990 Chelation of mercury by ouabain-sensitive and ouabain-resistant Na,K-ATPase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 167, 1115–1121.
- Bose S. Ghosh P, Ghosh S, et al.1993 Time dependent distribution of [203Hg] mercuric nitrate in the subcellular fractions of rat and fish liver. Biomed Environ Sci 6, 195–206.
- Bose S, Chaudhury S, Ghosh P, et al.1994a Mercury binding to the plasma membrane of rat erythrocytes. In: Widianarko B, Vink K, Van Straalen NM, eds. Environmental Toxicology in Southeast Asia. Amsterdam: VU University Press; 215–217.
- Bose S, Mukhopadhyay B, Chaudhury S, Bhattacharya Shelley. 1994b Correlation of metal distribution, reduced glutathione and metallothionein levels in liver and kidney of rat. Indian J Exp Biol 32, 679–681.
- Bracken WM, Sharma RP, Bourcier DR. 1984 Cellular distribution of inorganic mercury and its relation to cytotoxicity in bovine kidney cell cultures. J Toxicol Environ Health 13, 865–877.
- Durnam DM, Palmiter RD. 1981 Transcriptional regulation of the mouse metallothionein-I gene by heavy metals. J Biol Chem 256, 5712–5716.
- Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Andres B Jr, Featherstone RM. 1961 A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 7, 88–95.
- Ferguson DG. 1995 Ultrastructure of cells. In: Sperelakis N, ed. Cell Physiology. New York: Academic Press; 45–60.
- Fiske CH, Subbarow Y. 1925 The colorimetric determination of phosphorus. J Biol Chem 66, 375–400.
- Foulkes EC, McMullen DM. 1987 Kinetics of transepithelial movement of heavy metals in rat jejunum. Amer J Physiol 253, 134–136.
- Gennis RB. 1989 Biomembranes: Molecular Structure and Function. New York: Springer Verlag.
- Goering PL, Klaassen CD. 1983 Altered subcellular distribution of cadmium following cadmium pretreatment: Possible mechanism of tolerance to cadmium-induced lethality. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 70, 195–203.
- Goyer, RA. 1983 Intracellular sites of toxic metals. Neurotoxicol 4, 147–156.
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB. 1974 Glutathione-Stransferase the first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 249, 7130–7139.
- Halbach S. 1990 Mercury compounds: lipophilicity and toxic effects on isolated myocardial tissue. Arch Toxicol 64, 315–319.
- Hughes WL. 1950 Protein mercaptides. Cold Spring Harbour Symposia on Quantitative Biology 14, 79–84.
- Imesch E, Moosmayer M, Anner BM. 1992 Mercury weakens membrane anchoring of Na-K-ATPase. Amer J Physiol 262, 837–842.
- Lanzetta PA, Alvarez LJ, Reinach PS, Candia OA. 1979 An improved assay for nanomole amounts of inorganic phosphate. Anal Biochem 100, 95–97.
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. 1951 Protein measurement with the Folin-phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193, 265–275.
- Mehra M, Choi BH. 1981 Distribution of mercury in subcellular fraction of brain, liver and kidney after repeated administration of 203Hg-labeled methylmercuric chloride in mice. Exp Molec Pathol 35, 435–447.
- Mukhopadhyay B, Bose S, Bhattacharya S, Bhattacharya Shelley. 1994 Induction of metallothionein in rat liver by cadmium chloride: probable mechanism of action. Biomed Env Sci 7, 232–240.
- Nakazawa H, Masuzawa Y, Waku K. 1981 The chemical form of cadmium in microsomal and mitochondrial fractions from rat liver and kidney after long term administration of cadmium chloride. Toxicol Lett 7, 297–304.
- Neville DM Jr. 1960 The isolation of a cell membrane fraction from rat liver. J Biophys Biochem Cytol 8, 413–422.
- Niyogi SK, Feldman RP. 1981 Effect of several metal ions on misincorporation during transcription. Nucleic Acids Res 9, 2615–2627.
- Nordberg M, Kojima Y. 1979 Metallothionein. Kägi JHR, Nordberg M, eds. Basel: Birkhauser Verlag.
- Nordberg GF, Nordberg M, Piscator M, Vesterberg O. 1972 Separation of two forms of rabbit metallothionein by isoelectric focusing. Biochem J 126, 491–498. Patzelt-Wenczler R, Pauls H, Erdmann E, Schoner W. 1975 Evidences for a sulphydryl group in the ATPbinding site of (Na+-K+)-activated ATPase. Eur J Biochem 53, 301-311.
- Pedersen PL, Carafoli E. 1987 Ion-motive ATPases I. Ubiquity, properties and significance to cell function. Trends in Biochem Sciences 12, 146–150.
- Plummer DT. 1988 An Introduction to Practical Biochemistry. New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill Pub. Co. Ltd.
- Rabenstein DL. 1978 The aqueous solution chemistry of methylmercury and its complexes. Accounts Chem Res 11, 100–107.
- Rothstein A. 1959 Cell membrane as site of action of heavy metals. Fed Proc 18, 1026–1038. Rothstein A. 1970 Sulfhydryl groups in membrane structure and function. In: Bronner F, Kleinzeller A, eds. Current Topics in Membrane and Transport. New York: Academic Press; 135-137.
- Sakurai H, Nakajima K, Kamada H, et al.1993 Copper-metallothionein distribution in the liver of Long-Evans cinnamon rats: studies on immunohistochemical staining, metal determination, gel filtration and electron spin resonance spectroscopy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 192, 893–898.
- Schwarzenbach G, Schellenberg M. 1965 Die Komplexchemie des Methylquecksilber-Kations. Helv Chim Acta 48, 28–46.
- Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. 1967 Statistical Methods. Ames: Iowa State University Press.
- Southard J, Nitisewojo P, Green DE. 1974 Mercurial toxicity and the perturbation of the mitochondrial control system. Fed Proc 33, 2147–2153.
- Trifillis AL, Kahng MW, Trump BF. 1981 Metabolic studies of HgCl2-induced renal failure in the rat. Exp Molec Pathol 35, 14–24.
- Tse CM, Wu JSR, Young JD. 1985 Evidence for the asymmetrical binding of p-chloromercuriphenyl sulfonate to the human erythrocyte nucleoside transporter. Biochim Biophys Acta 818, 316–324.
- Ullrich KJ, Fasold H, Kloss S, et al.1973 Effect of SH-, NH2-and COOH-site group reagents on the transport processes in the proximal convolution of the rat kidney. Pfluger's Archiv 344, 51–68.
- Webb JL. 1966 Enzymes and Metabolic Inhibitors, Vol III. New York: Academic Press.
- Yagle MK, Palmiter RD. 1985 Coordinate regulation of mouse metallothionein I and II by heavy metals and glucocorticoids. Mol Cell Biol 5, 291–294.
- Specific binding of inorganic mercury to Na- K-ATPase in rat liver plasma membrane and signal transduction
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 157-162
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- rat liver
- signal transduction
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Environmental Toxicology Laboratory, Department of Zoology, Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan, India