A molecular and embryonic study of apomixis in cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In cassava, apomixis fixes heterosis and avoids transmission of systemic pathogens which complicate vegetative propagation of the crop. A combination of evidence from maternal inheritance of RAPD markers and the structure of the embryonic sac in large progeny sets of two distinct genotypes have further confirmed the occurrence of apomixis in cassava. We could advance further on earlier reports of the detection of apomixis in four ways: (1) we could arrive at an estimate of the rate of facultative apomixis in the range of 2%; (2) we detected the occurrence of apomixis in a second genotype, derived from a different interspecific cross; (3) apomictic behavior was demonstrated in an F1 individual and (4) parallel embryonic evidence was generated that corroborate the potential occurrence of apomixis by apospory. The fact that apomixis was detected in an F1 interspecific hybrid hints to the possibility of directly transferring genes for apomixis from a wild relative to cultivated cassava.
- Asker, S., 1979. Progress in apomixis research. Hereditas 91: 231- 240.
- Asker, S., 1980. Gametophytic apomixis:elements and genetic regulation. Hereditas 93: 277-293. CrossRef
- Doyle, J.J. & J.L. Doyle, 1987. Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissues. Focus 12: 13-15.
- FAO, 1994. FAO Yearbook. Rome.
- Grattapaglia, D. & R.R. Sederoff, 1994. Genetic linkage maps of Eucalyptus grandisand E. urophyllausing a pseudotestcross strategy and RAPD markers. Genetics 137: 1121-1137, 1994
- Grattapaglia, D., C. Costa e Silva & N.M.A. Nassar, 1996. Strict maternal inheritance of RAPD fingerprints confirm apomixis in cassava (Manihot esculentaCrantz). Can J Plant Sci 76: 379-382.
- Herr, J.M., Jr., 1982. An analysis of methods for permanently mounting ovules cleared in four-and-a-half type clearing fluids. Stain Technol 57: 161-169.
- Nassar, N.M.A., 1980. Attempts to hybridize wild Manihotspecies with cassava. Econ Bot 34: 13-15.
- Nassar, N.M.A., 1994. Development and selection of apomixis in cassava, Manihot esculentaCrantz. Can J Plant Sci 74: 857-858.
- Novy, R.G., C. Kobak, J. Gofreda & N. Vorsa, 1994. RAPDs identify varietal misclassification and regional divergence in cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon(Ait.) Pursh). Theor Appl Genet 88: 1004-1010. CrossRef
- Ogburia, M.N. & T. Adachi, 1994. An improved cleared-pistil technique for rapid in totoobservation of embryo sac malformation in cassava (Manihot esculentaCrantz). Proceedings of the Second International Scientific Meeting Cassava Biotechnology Network, Indonesia, pp. 117-127.
- Williams, J.G.K., A.R. Kubelik, K.J. Livak, J.A. Rafalski & S.V. Tingey, 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucl Acids Res 18: 6531- 6535.
- Young, B.A., R.T. Sherwood & E.C. Bashaw, 1979. Cleared-pistil and thicksectioning techniques for detecting aposporous apomixis in grasses. Can J Bot 57: 1668-1672.
- A molecular and embryonic study of apomixis in cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz)
Volume 102, Issue 1 , pp 9-13
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- embryo sac
- interspecific hybrid
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Agronomia, Universidade de Brasília, C.P. 04477, Brasília D.F, 70919
- 2. Departamento de Fitotecnia, Universidade de Vicosa, Vicosa, MG 36570, Brasília
- 3. Laboratório de Genética de Plantas CENARGEN-EMBRAPA –, C.P. 02372, Brasília D.F