Save the Males: Backlash in Organizations
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper reviews the literature on male backlash in organizations, proposing a research agenda. It defines backlash, examines its causes and manifestations, who is likely to exhibit it, and offers suggestions for addressing backlash. Backlash may be on the increase in organizations and society at large. Current efforts to weaken or remove the legislative support for employment equity initiatives are one sign of this.
- American Male Opinion Index (Condé Nast Publications, New York).
- Astrachan, A. (1986) How Men Feel: Their Response to Women's Demands for Equality and Power. Anchor Books, Garden City, N.Y.
- Bly, R. (1990) Iron John. Reading, Mass., Addison-Wesley, New York
- Faludi, S. (1991) Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women. Crown Publishers Inc., New York
- Goode, W. J. Why Men Resist. In: Thorne, B., Yalom, M. eds. (1982) Rethinking the Family: Some Feminist Questions. Longman, Inc., New York
- Gray, J. (1993) Women Are From Venus, Men Are From Mars. Harper, New York
- Hearn, J. Changing Men and Changing Managements: Social Change, Social Research and Social Research and Social Action. In: Davidson, M. J., Burke, R. J. eds. (1994) Women in Management: Current Research Issues. Paul Chapman Publishing, London
- Keen, S. (1991) Fire In The Belly: On Being A Man. Bantam Books, New York
- Kimmel, M. S. Clarence, William, Iron Mike, Tailbook, Senator Packwood, Spur Posse, Magic... and Us. In: Buchward, E., Fletcher, P. R., Roth, M. eds. (1993) Transforming A Rape Culture. Milkweed Editions, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Lee, J. (1991) At My Father's Wedding: Reclaiming Our True Masculinity. Bantam Books, New York
- Maddock, S., Parkin, D. Gender Cultures: How They Affect Men and Women At Work. In: Davidson, M. J., Burke, R. J. eds. (1994) Women in Management: Current Research Issues. Chapman Publishing, London
- Miller, J. B. (1976) Toward a New Psychology of Women. Beacon Press, Boston
- Morrison, A. M. (1992) The New Leaders. Jossey Bass, San Francisco
- Pope, B. S.: 1993, ‘In The Wake of Tailbook: A New Order for The Navy’, in E. Buckwald, P. R. Fletcher and M. Roth (eds.), Transforming A Rape Culture (Minneapolis, Minn.).
- Pleck, J. H. The Contemporary Man. In: Scheer, J. eds. (1987) A man's Handbook of Counselling and Psychotherapy For Men. Sage Publications, Newbury Park, Calif.
- Schein, V. E. Managerial Sextyping: A Persistent and Pervasive Barrier to Women's Opportunities. In: Davidson, M. J., Burke, R. J. eds. (1994) Women in Management: Current Research Issues. Paul Chapman Publishing, London
- Tannen, D. (1990) You Just don't Understand: Women and Men in Conversation. Ballantine Books, New York
- Save the Males: Backlash in Organizations
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 16, Issue 9 , pp 933-942
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors