Job Satisfaction as a Function of Top Management Support for Ethical Behavior: A Study of Indian Managers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Based on organizational justice theories and cognitive dissonance theories, the authors hypothesized that: (a) perceived top management support for ethical behaviors will be positively correlated with all facets of job satisfaction (supervision, pay, promotion, work, co-workers, and overall); and (b) the correlation will be highest with the facet of supervision. Empirical results (n = 77 middle level managers from two organizations in South India) supported only the second hypothesis. Implications for managing a global workforce are discussed.
- Adler, N.: 1986, International Dimensions of Organizational Behavior(Kent, Boston, MA).
- Blasi, A.: 1980, ‘Bridging Moral Cognition and Moral Action: A Critical Review of the Literature’, Psychological Bulletin 88, 1–45.
- Boyacigiller, N. A. and N. J. Adler: 1991, ‘The Parochial Dinosaur: Organizational Science in a Global Context’, Academy of Management Review 16(2), 262–290.
- Brockner, J., S. Grover, T. F. Reed and R. L. DeWitt: 1992, ‘Layoffs, Job Insecurity, and Survivors' Work Effort: Evidence of an Inverted-U Relationship’, Academy of Management Journal 35, 413–425.
- Cyriac, K. and R. Dharmaraj: 1994, ‘Machiavellianism in Indian Management’, Journal of Business Ethics 13, 281–286.
- Dailey, R. C. and D. J. Kirk: 1992, ‘Distributive and Procedural Justice as Antecedents of Job Satisfaction and Intent to Turnover’, Human Relations 45, 305–317.
- Deal, T. E. and A. A. Kennedy: 1983, ‘Culture: A New Look Through Old Lenses’, The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 19, 498–505.
- Doktor, R., R. L. Tung and M. A. Von Glinow: 1991, ‘Future Directions for Management Theory Development’, Academy of Management Review 16(2), 362–365.
- Donaldson, T.: 1989, The Ethics of International Business(Oxford University Press, New York).
- Dozier, J. B. and M. P. Miceli: 1985, ‘Potential Predictors of Whistle-Blowing: A Prosocial Behavior Perspective’, Academy of Management Review 10, 823–836.
- Festinger, L.: 1942, ‘A Theoretical Interpretation of Shifts in Level of Aspiration’, Psychological Review 49, 235–250.
- Folger, R. and M. A. Konovsky: 1989, ‘Effects of Procedural and Distributive Justice on Reactions to Pay Raise Decisions’, Academy of Management Journal 32, 115–130.
- Ford, C. R. and D. W. Richardson: 1994, ‘Ethical Decision Making: A Review of the Empirical Literature’, Journal of Business Ethics 13, 205–221.
- Gilliland, S. W.: 1993, ‘The Perceived Fairness of Selection Systems: An Organizational Justice Perspective’, Academy of Management Review 18, 694–734.
- Greenberg, J.: 1990, ‘Employee Theft as a Reaction to Underpayment Inequity: The Hidden Cost of Pay Cuts’, Journal of Applied Psychology 75, 561–568.
- Hackett, R. D. and R. M. Guion: 1985, ‘A Reevaluation of the Absenteeism-Job Satisfaction Relationship’, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 35, 340–381.
- Heider, F.: 1946, ‘Attitudes and Cognitive Organizations’, Journal of Psychology 21, 107–112.
- Hofestede, G.: 1980, ‘Motivation, Leadership, and Organization: Do American Theories Apply Abroad?’, Organizational Dynamics 11, 42–63.
- Iaffaldano, M. T. and P. M. Muchinsky: 1985, ‘Job Satisfaction and Job Performance: A Meta-Analysis’, Psychological Bulletin 97, 251–273.
- Kohlberg, L.: 1984, The Philosophy of Moral Development(Harper & Row, San Francisco, CA).
- Kulik, C. T. and M. L. Ambrose: 1992, ‘Personal and Situational Determinants of Referent Choice’, Academy of Management Review 17, 212–237.
- Leventhal, G. S.: 1980, ‘What Should be Done with Equity Theory?’, in K. J. Gregen, M. S. Greenberg and R. H. Wills (eds.), Social Exchange: Advances in Theory and Research(Plenum Press, New York), pp. 27–55.
- Lind, E. A.: 1992, March, The Fairness Heuristic: Rationality and “Relationality” in Procedural Evaluations. Paper presented at the 4th International Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socioeconomics, Irvine, CA.
- McFarlin, D. B. and P. D. Sweeney: 1992,’ Distributive and Procedural Justice as Predictors of Satisfaction with Personnel and Organizational Outcomes’, Academy of Management Journal 35, 626–637.
- Morrison, E. W.: 1993, ‘Newcomer Information Seeking: Exploring Types, Modes, Sources, and Outcomes’, Academy of Management Journal 36, 557–589.
- Muchinsky, P. M.: 1977, ‘Employee Absenteeism: A Review of the Literature’, Journal of Vocational Behavior 10, 316–340.
- Ralston, D. A., M. K. Cunniff and D. J. Gustafson: 1993, August, Cultural Accommodation: The Effect of Language on Values Responses of Multilingual Hong Kong Chinese Managers. Paper presented in the 53rd annual meeting of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA.
- Robertson, D. C.: 1993, ‘Empiricism in Business Ethics: Suggested Research Directions’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 585–599.
- Rosenhan, D. L., B. S. Moore and B. Underwood: 1976, ‘The Social Psychology of Moral Behavior’, in T. Lickona (ed.), Moral Development and Behavior, (Holt, New York), pp. 241–252.
- Saal, F. E. and S. C. Moore: 1993, ‘Perceptions of Promotion Fairness and Promotion Candidates' Qualifications’, Journal of Applied Psychology 78, 705–710.
- Schein, E. H.: 1984, ‘Coming to a New Awareness of Organizational Culture’, Sloan Management Review 25, 3–16.
- Sethi, S. P. and P. Steidlmeier: 1993, ‘Religion's Moral Campass and a Just Economic Order: Reflections on Pope John Paul II's Encyclical Centesimus Annus’, Journal of Business Ethics 12, 901–917.
- Sherman, M. F., R. J. Smith and N. C. Sherman: 1983, ‘Racial and Gender Differences in Perceptions of Fairness: When Race is Involved in a Job Promotion’, Perceptual and Motor Skills 57, 719–728.
- Spector, P. E.: 1982, ‘Behavior in Organizations as a Function of Employe's Locus of Control’, Psychological Bulletin 91, 482–497.
- Thibaut, J. and L. Walker: 1976, Procedural Justice: A Psychological Analysis(Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ).
- Trevino, L. K.: 1986, ‘Ethical Decision Making in Organizations: A Person-Situation Interactionist Model’, Academy of Management Review 11, 601–617.
- Wiersema, M. F. and K. A. Bantel: 1992, ‘Top Management Team Demography and Corporate Strategic Change’, Academy of Management Journal 35(1), 91–121.
- Witkin, H. A. and D. R. Goodenough: 1977, ‘Field Dependence and Interpersonal Behavior’, Psychological Bulletin 84, 661–689.
- Job Satisfaction as a Function of Top Management Support for Ethical Behavior: A Study of Indian Managers
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 365-371
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors