A Framework for Teaching Business Ethics
- Alfonso R. Oddo
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
What ethical framework should be used as a basis for teaching business ethics? Should business ethics be taught by ethicists in a separate course, by business faculty in business courses, or perhaps by both? These are some of the issues this paper will address. The paper begins with a review of the literature concerning approaches to teaching business ethics. Next, some ethical frameworks for teaching business ethics are considered. Finally, the paper proposes that students should apply their own personal values to business ethical issues in the classroom, thus providing future business leaders with a process for resolving ethical dilemmas.
- Andrews, K.: 1989, 'Ethics in Practice', Harvard Business Review (September/October), 99–104.
- Bishop, T.: 1992, 'Integrating Business Ethics into An Undergraduate Curriculum', Journal of Business Ethics 11 (April), 291–299.
- Epstein, E. M.: 1989, 'Business Ethics, Corporate Good Citizenship and the Corporate Social Policy Process: A View from the United States', Journal of Business Ethics 8, 583–595.
- Ferrell, O. and J. Fraedrich: 1990, 'Understanding Pressures That Cause Unethical Behavior in Business', Business Insights Spring/Summer, 1–4.
- Grimstad, C. R.: 1964, 'Teaching the Ethics of Accountancy', The Journal of Accountancy (July), 84.
- Henderson, V. E.: 1988, 'Can Business Ethics Be Taught?', Management Review 77, 52–54.
- Landekich, S.: 1989, Corporate Codes of Conduct (National Association of Accountants, New Jersey).
- Levin, M.: 1989, 'Ethics Courses: Useless', The New York Times (November 20), A–21.
- Loeb, S.: 1991, 'The Evaluation of Outcomes of Accounting Ethics Education', Journal of Business Ethics 10 (February), 77–84.
- Mintz, S.: 1990, 'Ethics in the Management Accounting Curriculum', Management Accounting (June), 51–54.
- Parks, S.: 1986, The Critical Years: The Young Adult Search for a Faith to Live By (Harper & Row, New York).
- Schoenfeldt, L., D. McDonald and S. Youngblood: 1991, 'The Teaching of Business Ethics: A Survey of AACSB Member Schools', Journal of Business Ethics 10 (March), 237–241.
- A Framework for Teaching Business Ethics
Journal of Business Ethics
Volume 16, Issue 3 , pp 293-297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Alfonso R. Oddo (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Niagara University, NY, 14109