Effect of Particle Size and Phase Composition of Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles on the Photocatalytic Properties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles were prepared by the oxidation of titanium tetrachloride (TiCl4) in a diffusion flame reactor. The average diameter of particles was 15–30 nm and mass fraction of anatase ranged from 40% to 80%. Effects of particle size and phase composition of those TiO2 nanoparticles on photocatalytic properties such as decomposition of methylene blue, bacteria and ammonia gas were investigated. The degree of decomposition of methylene blue by the TiO2 nanoparticles under the illumination of the black light was directly proportional to the anatase mass fraction, but inversely to the particle size. The decomposition of bacteria and ammonia gas by the TiO2 nanoparticles under the illumination of the fluorescent light showed the same trend as in the case of the methylene blue.
- Bard A.J., 1982. J. Phys. Chem. 86, 172.
- Fotou G.P., S. Vemury & S.E. Pratsinis, 1994. Chem. Eng. Sci. 49, 4939.
- Fox M.A. & M.T. Dulay, 1993. Chem. Rev. 93, 54.
- Fujishima A. & K. Honda, 1972. Nature 37, 238.
- Hoffman M.R., S.T. Martin, W. Choi & D. W. Bahneman, 1995.Chem. Rev. 95, 69.
- Jang H.D., 1997. AIChE Journal 43, 2704.
- Jang H.D. & J. Jeong, 1995. Aerosol Sci. Technol. 23, 553.
- Jung K.Y. & S.B. Park, 1999. J. Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry 127, 117
- Kominami K., J. Kato, Y. Takada, Y. Doushi & B. Ohtani, 1997.Catal. Lett. 46, 235.
- Lee W., Y. Gao, K. Dwight & A. Wold, 1992. Mat. Res. Bull. 27, 685.
- Nishimoto S.I., S.B. Ohtani, H. Kajiwara & T. Kagiya, 1985.J. Chem. Soc. Faraday Trans. 1, 61.
- Ollis D.F. & H. Al-Ekabi, 1993. eds, Photocatalytic Purification and Treatment of Water and Air, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Parmon V.N. & K.I. Zamareav, 1989. E. Coord. Chem. Rev. 69, 57.
- Sclafani A., L. Palmisano & M. Schiavello, 1990. J. Phys. Chem. 94, 829.
- Siegel R.W., 1991. Annu. Rev. Mater. Sci. 21, 559.
- Spurr, R.A. & H. Myers, 1957. Anal. Chem. 29, 760.
- Effect of Particle Size and Phase Composition of Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles on the Photocatalytic Properties
Journal of Nanoparticle Research
Volume 3, Issue 2-3 , pp 141-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- particle size
- phase composition
- titanium dioxide nanoparticles
- photocatalytic property
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Materials Development, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, Taejeon, 305-350, Korea
- 2. Samhwa Paint Industry, R&D Center, Ansan, 425-110, Korea
- 3. R&D division, Korea Institute of Construction Materials, Seoul, 137-070, Korea