On the completeness of first degree weakly aggregative modal logics
- Peter Apostoli
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper extends David Lewis’ result that all first degree modal logics are complete to weakly aggregative modal logic by providing a filtration-theoretic version of the canonical model construction of Apostoli and Brown. The completeness and decidability of all first-degree weakly aggregative modal logics is obtained, with Lewis’s result for Kripkean logics recovered in the case k=1.
- Apostoli, P. and Brown, B. “A solution to the completeness problem for weakly aggregative modal logic”. To appear in The Journal of Symbolic Logic.
- Chellas, Brian F. Modal Logic: An Introduction. Cambridge University Press, 1980.
- Goldblatt, R.I. Logics of Time and Computation. CSLI Lecture Notes No. 7, Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford University, 1987.
- Jennings, R.E., Schotch, P.K. (1984) The Preservation of Coherence. Studia Logica 43: pp. 89-106
- Jennings, R.E., Schotch, P.K. (1981) Some Remarks on (Weakly) Weak Modal Logics. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 22: pp. 309-314
- Jennings, R.E., Schotch, P.K., Johnston, D.K. (1981) The ŋ-adic First Order Undefinability of the Geach Formula. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 22: pp. 375-378
- Jennings, R.E., Schotch, P.K., Johnston, D.K. (1980) Universal First Order Definability in Modal Logic. Zeitschrift für Mathematische Logik und Grundlagen der Mathematik 26: pp. 327-330
- Johnston, D.K. A Generalized Relational Semantics For Modal Logic.M.A. Thesis, Dept. of Philosophy, Simon Fraser University, 1978.
- Lewis, D. (1974) Intensional Logics Without Iterative Axioms. Journal of Philosophical Logic 3: pp. 457-466
- Schotch, P.K., Jennings, R. (1980) Inference and Necessity. Journal of Philosophical Logic 9: pp. 327-340
- Schotch, P.K., Jennings, R. (1980) Modal Logic and the Theory of Modal Aggregation. Philosophia 9: pp. 265-278
- Schotch P.K. and Jennings, R. “On Detonating”. In G. Priest and R. Routley eds. Paraconsistent Logic, Philosophia Verlag, 1989.
- On the completeness of first degree weakly aggregative modal logics
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 169-180
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Peter Apostoli (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 1A1