On the completeness of first degree weakly aggregative modal logics
- Peter Apostoli
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper extends David Lewis’ result that all first degree modal logics are complete to weakly aggregative modal logic by providing a filtration-theoretic version of the canonical model construction of Apostoli and Brown. The completeness and decidability of all first-degree weakly aggregative modal logics is obtained, with Lewis’s result for Kripkean logics recovered in the case k=1.
- Apostoli, P. and Brown, B. “A solution to the completeness problem for weakly aggregative modal logic”. To appear in The Journal of Symbolic Logic.
- Chellas, Brian F. Modal Logic: An Introduction. Cambridge University Press, 1980.
- Goldblatt, R.I. Logics of Time and Computation. CSLI Lecture Notes No. 7, Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford University, 1987.
- Jennings, R.E. and Schotch, P.K. “The Preservation of Coherence”. Studia Logica 43(1–2) (1984), 89–106.
- Jennings, R.E. and Schotch, P.K. “Some Remarks on (Weakly) Weak Modal Logics”. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 22 (1981), 309–314.
- Jennings, R.E., Schotch, P.K. and Johnston, D.K. “The ŋ-adic First Order Undefinability of the Geach Formula”. Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic 22 (1981), 375–378.
- Jennings, R.E., Schotch, P.K. and Johnston, D.K. “Universal First Order Definability in Modal Logic”. Zeitschrift für Mathematische Logik und Grundlagen der Mathematik 26 (1980), 327–330.
- Johnston, D.K. A Generalized Relational Semantics For Modal Logic.M.A. Thesis, Dept. of Philosophy, Simon Fraser University, 1978.
- Lewis, David. “Intensional Logics Without Iterative Axioms”. Journal of Philosophical Logic 3 (1974), 457–466.
- Schotch P.K. and Jennings, R. “Inference and Necessity”. Journal of Philosophical Logic 9 (1980), 327–340.
- Schotch P.K. and Jennings, R. “Modal Logic and the Theory of Modal Aggregation”. Philosophia 9 (1980), 265–278.
- Schotch P.K. and Jennings, R. “On Detonating”. In G. Priest and R. Routley eds. Paraconsistent Logic, Philosophia Verlag, 1989.
- On the completeness of first degree weakly aggregative modal logics
Journal of Philosophical Logic
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 169-180
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Peter Apostoli (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 1A1