Waiting-Time Asymptotics for the M/G/2 Queue with Heterogeneous Servers
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper considers a heterogeneous M/G/2 queue. The service times at server 1 are exponentially distributed, and at server 2 they have a general distribution B(⋅). We present an exact analysis of the queue length and waiting time distribution in case B(⋅) has a rational Laplace–Stieltjes transform. When B(⋅) is regularly varying at infinity of index −ν, we determine the tail behaviour of the waiting time distribution. This tail is shown to be semi-exponential if the arrival rate is lower than the service rate of the exponential server, and regularly varying at infinity of index 1−ν if the arrival rate is higher than that service rate.
- J. Abate, G.L. Choudhury and W. Whitt, Waiting time tail probabilities in queues with long-tail service-time distributions, Queueing Systems 16 (1994) 311-338.
- J. Abate and W.Whitt, Asymptotics for M/G/1 low-priority waiting-time tail probabilities, Queueing Systems 25 (1997) 173-233.
- R. Agrawal, A. Makowski and P. Nain, On a reduced load equivalence for fluid queues under subexponentiality, Queueing Systems 33 (1999) 5-41.
- N.H. Bingham, C.M. Goldie and J.L. Teugels, Regular Variation (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1987).
- S.C. Borst, O.J. Boxma and P.R. Jelenković, Generalized processor sharing with long-tailed traffic sources, in: Teletraffic Engineering in a Competitive World, Proceedings of ITC-16, Edinburgh, UK, eds. P. Key and D. Smith (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1999) pp. 345-354.
- S.C. Borst and A.P. Zwart, A reduced-peak equivalence for queues with a mixture of light-tailed and heavy-tailed input flows, SPOR-Report 2000-04, Eindhoven University of Technology (2000).
- O.J. Boxma and J.W. Cohen, Heavy-traffic analysis for the GI/G/1 queue with heavy-tailed distributions, Queueing Systems 33 (1999) 177-204.
- O.J. Boxma, Q. Deng and J.A.C. Resing, Polling systems with regularly varying service and/or switchover times, Adv. Performance Anal. 3 (2000) 71-107.
- J.W. Cohen, Some results on regular variation for distributions in queueing and fluctuation theory, J. Appl. Probab. 10 (1973) 343-353.
- J.W. Cohen, The Single Server Queue, 2nd ed. (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982).
- J.W. Cohen, A heavy-traffic theorem for the GI/G/1 queue with a Pareto-type service time distribution, J. Appl. Math. Stochastic Anal. 11 (1998) 339-355.
- T. Daniëls, Asymptotic behaviour of queueing systems, Ph.D. thesis, Universiteit Antwerpen (1999).
- G. Doetsch, Introduction to the Theory and Applications of the Laplace Transformation (Springer, New York, 1974).
- V. Dumas and A. Simonian, Asymptotic bounds for the fluid queue fed by sub-exponential on/off sources, Adv. in Appl. Probab. 32 (2000) 244-255.
- S.G. Foss and D.A. Korshunov, On waiting time distribution in GI/GI/2 queue system with heavy tailed service times, Unpublished manuscript (2000).
- R. Haji and G.F. Newell, A relation between stationary queue length and waiting time distributions, J. Appl. Probab. 8 (1971) 617-620.
- J. Kiefer and J. Wolfowitz, On the characteristics of the general queueing process with applications to random walk, Ann. Math. Statist. 27 (1956) 147-161.
- C. Knessl, B.J. Matkowsky, Z. Schuss and C. Tier, An integral equation approach to the M/G/2 queue, Oper. Res. 38 (1990) 506-518.
- A.G. Pakes, On the tails of waiting-time distributions, J. Appl. Probab. 12 (1975) 555-564.
- S. Resnick and G. Samorodnitsky, Steady state distribution of the buffer content for M/G/∞ input fluid queues, Report No. 1242, Department of ORIE, Cornell University (1999).
- A. Scheller-Wolf, Further delay moment results for FIFO multiserver queues, Queueing Systems 34 (2000) 387-400.
- A. Scheller-Wolf and K. Sigman, Delay moments for FIFO GI/GI/s queues, Queueing Systems 25 (1997) 77-95.
- A. Shwartz and A. Weiss, Large Deviations for Performance Analysis (Chapman and Hall, London, 1995).
- W.G.L. Sutton, The asymptotic expansion of a function whose operational equivalent is known, J. London Math. Soc. 9 (1934) 131-137.
- E.G. Titchmarsh, The Theory of Functions (Oxford Univ. Press, London, 1952).
- W. Whitt, The impact of a heavy-tailed service-time distribution upon the M/GI/s waiting-time distribution, Queueing Systems 36 (2000) 71-87.
- A.P. Zwart, S.C. Borst and M. Mandjes, Exact asymptotics for fluid queues fed by multiple heavytailed on-off flows, SPOR-Report 2000-14, Eindhoven University of Technology, to appear in Ann. Appl. Probab.; shortened version in: Proc. of Infocom 2001, Anchorage, AK, 2000, pp. 279-288.
- Waiting-Time Asymptotics for the M/G/2 Queue with Heterogeneous Servers
Volume 40, Issue 1 , pp 5-31
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- M/G/2 queue
- heterogeneous servers
- queue length
- waiting time
- tail behaviour
- slowly varying function
- regularly varying distribution
- semi-exponential distribution
- Industry Sectors