RAPD and SCAR markers for resistance to acochyta blight in lentil
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Resistance to ascochyta blight of lentil (Lens culinaris Medikus),caused by the fungus Ascochyta lentis, is determined by a single recessive gene, ral 2, in the lentil cultivar Indian head. Sixty F2 individuals from a cross between Eston (susceptible) and Indian head (resistant) lentil were analyzed for the presence of random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers linked to the ral 2gene, using bulked segregant analysis (BSA). Out of 800 decanucleotide primers screened, two produced polymorphic markers that co-segregated with the resistance locus. These two RAPD markers, UBC2271290and OPD-10870, flanked and were linked in repulsion phase to the gene ral 2 at 12 cm and 16 cm, respectively. The RAPD fragments were converted to SCAR markers. The SCAR marker developed from UBC2271290 could not detect any polymorphism between the two parents or in the F2. The SCAR marker developed from OPD-10870 retained its polymorphism. The polymorphic RAPD marker UBC2271290 and the SCAR marker developed from OPD-10870 can be used together in a marker assisted selection program for ascochyta blight resistance in lentil.
- Adam-Blondon, A.F., M. Sévignac, H. Bannerot & M. Dron, 1994. SCAR, RAPD and RFLPmarkers linked to a dominant gene (Are) conferring resistance to anthracnose in common bean. Theor Appl Genet 88: 865–870. CrossRef
- Andrahennadi, C.P., 1994. Genetics and Linkage of Isozyme Markers and Resistance to Seed BorneAscochyta Infection in Lentil. M. Sc. Thesis, Department of Crop Science and Plant Ecology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada.
- Ford, R., E.C.K. Pang & P.W.J. Taylor, 1999. Genetics of resistance toascochyta blight (Ascochyta lentis) of lentil and the identification of closely linked RAPD markers. Theor Appl Genet 98: 93–98. CrossRef
- Haley, S.D., L. Afandor & J.D. Kelly, 1994. Selection for monogenic pest resistance traits withcoupling-and repulsion-phase RAPD markers. Crop Sci 34: 1061–1066. CrossRef
- Kesseli, R.V., I. Paran & R.W. Michelmore, 1992. Efficient mapping of specifically targeted genomic regions and the tagging of these regions with reliable PCR-based genetic markers. Proc. Symp. Applications of RAPD Technology to Plant Breeding (Joint Plant Breeding Symposia Series). Minneapolis, USA, pp. 31–36.
- Lander, E.S., P. Green, J. Abrahamson, A. Barlow, M.J. Daly, S.E. Lincoln & L. Newburg, 1987. MAPMAKER: An interactive computer package for constructing primary linkage maps of experimental populations. Genomics 1: 174–181. CrossRef
- Laucou, V., K. Haurogn, N. Ellis & C. Rameau,1998. Genetic mapping in pea. 1. RAPD-based genetic linkage map of Pisum sativum. Theor Appl Genet 97: 905–915. CrossRef
- Mather, K., 1963. The Measurement of Linkage in Heredity. Methuen, London.
- Morrall, R.A.A. & J.W. Sheppard, 1981. Ascochyta blight on lentils in western Canada: 1978–1980. Can Plant Dis Sur 61: 7–12.
- Murray, M.G. & W.F. Thompson, 1980. Rapid isolation of high molecular weight plant DNA. NuclAcids Res 8: 4321–4325. CrossRef
- Paran, I. & R.W. Michelmore, 1993. Development of reliable PCR-basedmarkers linked to downy mildew resistance genes in lettuce. Theor Appl Genet 85: 985–993. CrossRef
- Sun, G.C.,T. Fahima, A.B. Korol, T. Turpeinen, A. Grama, Y.I. Ronin & E. Nevo, 1997. Identification of molecular markers linked to the Yr15 stripe rust resistance gene of wheat originated in wild emmer wheat, Triticum dicoccoides. Theor Appl Genet 95: 622–628. CrossRef
- Williams, G.K., A.R. Kubelic, K.J. Livak, J.A. Rafalski & S.V. Tingey, 1990. DNApolymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic Acids Res 18: 6531–6535.
- RAPD and SCAR markers for resistance to acochyta blight in lentil
Volume 118, Issue 3 , pp 331-337
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ascochyta blight
- Ascochyta fabae
- Lens culinaris
- linkage map
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, 2585 Highway 20, E., Harrow, Ontario, Canada, NOR 1G0
- 2. Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, 201-407 Downey Road, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 4L8, Canada
- 3. Crop Development Centre, University of Saskatchewan, 51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7N 5A8, Canada