Fabrication of TiAl by blended elemental powder semisolid forming
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Semisolid forming from blended elemental powders is investigated on Ti-Al alloy. The effects of the forming pressure, temperature, and pressure holding time on the density of the green billets are discussed. The forming method is outlined as follows: the mixture of the blended elemental powders are filled in a metal mold, and heated to approximately the melting point of aluminum. Thereafter, the forming pressure is loaded and held for the prescribed time. The pore-free green compacts are obtained under almost all the present forming conditions. However, pores are observed after alloying heat treatment. The volume fraction of the pores depends on the microstructures of the green billets. Experiments have also been carried out on the effects of the alloying heat treatment conditions on the mechanical properties of the compacts.
- K. Tahara, H. Tezuka, T. Sato and A. Kamio, Proceedings of ICAA-6, 1998, p. 303.
- D. H. Kirkwood, International Materials Reviews 39 (1994) 173.
- A. Namba, Journal of Japan Institute: Light Matels 45 (1995) 346.
- M. C. Flemings, Meta. Trans. A 22A (1991) 957.
- D. B. Spencer, R. Mehrabian and M. C. Flemings, Meta. Trans. 3 (1972) 1925.
- R. M. K. Young and T. W. Clyne, J. Mater. Sci. 21 (1986) 1057.
- K. Yasue, G. L. Yu and M. Niinomi, “Non-Aerospace Application of Titanium” (1998) p. 81.
- K. Yasue, G. L. Yu and C. E. Wen, in Proc. of the 1998 Powder Metallurgy World Congress, Superalloys/Intermetallics, Granada, Spain, p. 495.
- Y. W. Kim, in “High Temperature Ordered intermetallic Alloys IV”Vol. 213,MRSSymp. Proc. edited by J. D. Siegler, L.A. Johnson and D. P. Pope (Pittsburgh, PA, 1991).
- H. Okamoto, Binary alloy phase diagram, update service, June 1993.
- M. B. Winnicka and R. A. Varin, Met. Trans. A 24A (1993) 935.
- Smithelles (Eds.), “Metals Reference Book” 6th ed. (Butterworths, London, 1983) p. 1.
- K. Tahara, H. Tezuka, T. Sato and A. Kamio, in Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Aluminum Alloys, 1998, p. 303.
- Fabrication of TiAl by blended elemental powder semisolid forming
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 36, Issue 7 , pp 1741-1745
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors