Normal test scores in the Farnsworth–Munsell 100 hue test
- Maija Mäntyjärvi
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
One hundred and sixty persons aged from 10 to 69 years (106 women, 54 men) with healthy eyes were studied with the Farnsworth–Munsel1 100 hue (FM100) test. The mean of the results in the total scores and in the individual box scores in the right and left eye were calculated. The total score was also separately calculated in women and men. The test was administered under the illumination of Macbeth Easel lamp, 1000 lux, and the right eye was tested first. The results were calculated in six different age groups, 10–19 years, 20–29 years, etc. The mean of the total scores in the right eye varied from 7.44±2.46 (SD) to 10.07±2.03 in different age groups and in the left eye from 7.56±2.36 to 10.16±2.68. The scores changed significantly with the age: the correlation between the age and the test scores by linear regression gave significant results, in the right eye (R = 0.308, P = 0.0001), and in the left eye (R = 0.246, P = 0.0021). The present study with the normal error scores in the FM100 test and its individual boxes in persons aged 10–69 years gives clinicians working with colour vision defects a possibility to estimate the normality or abnormality of the results in their patients.
- Farnsworth D. The Farnsworth-Munsell 100-Hue Test. Baltimore: Munsell Color Company, 1957.
- Lakowski R. Is the deterioration of colour discrimination with age due to lens or retinal change? Die Farbe 1962; 11: 69–86.
- Boettner EA, Wolter JR. Transmission of the ocular media. Invest Ophthalmol 1962; 1: 776–83.
- Verriest G, Van Laethem J, Uvijls A. A new assessment of the normal ranges of the Farnsworth-Munsell 100-hue test scores. Am J Ophthalmol 1982; 93: 635-42
- Roy MS, Podgor MJ, Collier B, Gunkel RD. Color vision and age in a normal North American population. Graefe' Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 1991; 229: 139-44.
- KaimboWa Kaimbo D, Spileers W, Missotten L. Le test de Farnsworth-Munsell 100 hue dans la population bantoue. J Fr Ophthalmol 1994; 17: 664–7.
- Smith VC, Pokorny J, Pass AS. Color-axis determination on the Farnsworth-Munse1l 100-hue test. Am J Ophthalmol 1985; 100: 176–82.
- Kinnear PR. Proposals for scoring and assessing the 100-hue test. Vision Res 1970; 10: 423–33.
- Mäntyjärvi M, Teräsvirta M. Observations on color vision testing in ocular hypertension and glaucoma. Int Ophthalmol 1992; 16: 417–22.
- Lugo M, Tiedman JS. Computerized scoring and graphing of the Farnsworth-Munsell 100-hue color vision test. Am J Ophthalmol 1986; 101: 469–74.
- Normal test scores in the Farnsworth–Munsell 100 hue test
Volume 102, Issue 1 , pp 73-80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- colour vision test
- Farnsworth–Munsell 100 hue
- Industry Sectors
- Maija Mäntyjärvi (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland