Multi-lake studies in The Netherlands: trends in eutrophication
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The relation between (inter)national programs aiming at nutrient load reduction and changes in eutrophication has been studied for 231 Dutch lakes over the period 1980–1996. Trends in total-phosphorus (P) and total-nitrogen (N) were negative, as determined by analysis of both individual lakes and the complete data set. The relative trends in the nutrient concentrations as well as in the N/P ratio correspond with the significantly reduced P emission and the limited reduction of N emission in The Netherlands since the beginning of the 1980s. Negative trends in chlorophyll-aand positive trends in Secchi-disc transparency may be partly explained by reduced nutrient concentrations. Perspectives for the nearby future are discussed. Lake characteristics had only a minor impact on the trends. The improvement of the water quality was found for all subsets of average depth, surface area, hydraulic retention time and soil type. Furthermore, the effect of restoration measures and meteorological conditions on the trends were studied. Biomanipulation resulted in an additional improvement of several water quality variables compared to lakes that were only subject to (inter)national programs on nutrient load reduction. Specific measures resulting in additional P load reduction resulted only in lowered P concentrations. Severe winters resulted in lower chlorophyll-aconcentrations in the following summer and dry conditions in spring were favourable for all eutrophication variables in the following summer.
- Boers, P. C. M., 1996. Nutrient emissions from agriculture in The Netherlands, causes and remedies. Wat. Sci. Technol. 33: 183–189.
- Boers, P. C. M., J. Van der Does, D. T. Van der Molen & W. J. Rip, 1993. Eutrophication control in the Netherlands: approach, results, challanges for the future. In Giussani, G. & C. Callieri (eds), Strategies for Lake Ecosystems Beyond 2000, 17–21 May 1993, Stresa, Italy: 50–53.
- Boers, P. C. M. & D. T. Van derMolen, 1993. Eutrophication control in Europe – the state of the art. Eur. Wat. Poll. Contr. 3: 19–25.
- Boström, B., M. Jansson & C. Forsberg, 1982. Phosphorus release from sediments. Arch. Hydrobiol. Beih. Ergebn. Limnol. 18: 5–59.
- Buijs, P. H. L., 1995. Prognose grensoverschrijdende belasting via Rijn en Maas 1995-2015. RIZA werkdocument 95.181X (in Dutch, with a summary in English).
- Jeppesen, E., J. P. Jensen, P. Kristensen, M. Søndergaard, E. Mortensen, O. Sortkjaer & K. Olrik, 1990. Fish manipulation as a lake restoration tool in shallow, eutrophic, temperate lakes 2: threshold levels, long-term stability and conclusions. Hydrobiologia 200/201: 219–227.
- Jeppesen, E., P. Kristensen, J. P. Jensen, M. Søndergaard, E. Mortensen & T. Lauridsen, 1991. Recovery resilience following a reduction in external phosphorus loading of shallow, eutrophic Danish lakes: duration, regulating factors and methods for overcoming resilience. Mem. Ist. ital. Idrobiol. 48: 127–148.
- Jeppesen, E., J. P. Jensen, M. Søndergaard, T. Lauridsen, L. J. Pedersen & L. Jensen, 1997. Top-down control in freshwater lakes: the role of nutrient state, submerged macrophytes and water depth. Hydrobiologia 342/343: 151–164.
- Jost, B., P. Leumann, P. Liechti & P. Stadelmann, 1991. Restoration of eutrophied Swiss lakes. Eur. Wat. Poll. Contr. 1: 31–41.
- Kronvang, B., G. Ærtebjerg, R. Grant, P. Kristensen, M. Hovmand & J. Kirkegaard, 1993. Nationwide monitoring of nutrients and their ecological effects: state of the Danish aquatic environment. Ambio 22: 176–187.
- Meijer, M.-L., E. Jeppesen, E. Van Donk, B. Moss, M. Scheffer, E. Lammens, E. Van Nes, J. A. Van Berkum, G. L. De Jong, B. A. Faafeng & J. P. Jensen, 1994. Long-term responses to fishstock reduction in small shallow lakes: interpretation of five-year results of four biomanipulation cases in The Netherlands and Denmark. Hydrobiologia 275/276: 457–466.
- Meijer, M.-L., I. De Boois, M. Scheffer, R. Portielje & S. H. Hosper, 1999. Biomanipulation in The Netherlands: an evaluation of 18 case studies. Hydrobiologia 408/409: 13–30.
- Portielje, R. & D. T. Van der Molen, 1997. Trendanalyse eutro-fiëringstoestand van de Nederlandse meren en plassen. Deelrapport I voor de Vierde Eutrofiëringsenquête. RIZA rapport 97.060, Lelystad. ISBN 9036951062 (in Dutch).
- Portielje, R. & D. T. Van der Molen, 1998a. Relaties tussen eutrofiëringsvariabelen en systeemkenmerken van de Nederlandse meren en plassen. Deelrapport II voor de Vierde Eutrofiëringsenquête. RIZA rapport 98.007, Lelystad. ISBN 9036951585 (in Dutch).
- Portielje, R. & D. T. Van der Molen, 1998b. Trend-analysis of eutrophication variables in lakes in The Netherlands. Wat. Sci. Technol. 37: 235–240.
- Portielje, R. & D. T. Van der Molen, 1999. Relationships between eutrophication variables: from nutrient loading to transparency. Hydrobiologia 408/409: 375–387.
- Reeders, H. H., P. C.M. Boers, D. T. Van derMolen & T. H. Helmerhorst, 1998. Cyanobacterial dominance in the lakes Veluwemeer and Wolderwijd, The Netherlands. Wat. Sci. Technol. 37: 85–92.
- Ryding, S.-O. & C. Forsberg, 1976. Six polluted lakes: a preliminary evaluation of the treatment and recovery process. Ambio 5: 151–156.
- Sas, H., 1989. Lake restoration by reduction of nutrient loading: expectations, experiences, extrapolations. Academia Verlag Richarz GmbH, St. Augustin. ISBN 388345379 X: 497 pp.
- Scheffer, M., 1990. Multiplicity of stable states in freshwater systems. Hydrobiologia 200/201: 475–486.
- Scholten, M. C. T., R. G. Jak & E. M. Foekema, 1994. Ecological control of algal densities. Towards a better comprehension of eutrophicational problems in aquatic ecosystems. TNO-MWR94/ 280, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Seitzinger, S. P., 1988. Denitrification in freshwater and coastal marine ecosystems: ecological and geochemical significance. Limnol. Oceanogr. 33: 702–724.
- Van der Molen, D. T. & P. C. M. Boers, 1994. Influence of internal loading on phosphorus concentration in shallow lakes before and after reduction of the external loading. Proceedings International Conference on Nutrient Dynamics and Biological Structure in Shallow Freshwater and Brackish Lakes. 16–20 August 1992, Silkeborg, Denmark. Hydrobiologia 275/276: 379–389.
- Van der Molen, D. T., P. C. M. Boers & A. Breeuwsma, 1998a. Agricultural nutrient losses to surface waters in the Netherlands: impact, strategies and perspectives. J. envir. Qual. 27: 4–11.
- Van der Molen, D. T., R. Portielje, W. T. De Nobel & P. C.M. Boers, 1998b. Nitrogen in Dutch freshwater lakes: trends and targets. Envir. Pollut. 102, S1: 553–557.
- Vollenweider, R. A., 1975. Input-output models, with special reference to the phosphorus loading concept in limnology. Schweiz Z. Hydrol. 37: 53–84.
- Multi-lake studies in The Netherlands: trends in eutrophication
Volume 408-409, Issue 0 , pp 359-365
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors