What is the True Fraction of Barred Spiral Galaxies?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We have determined the fraction of barred galaxies in the H-band for a statistically well-defined sample of 186 spirals. At H, 56% of our sample is strongly barred, 16% is weakly barred, and only 27% is unbarred. The RC3 and the Carnegie Atlas of Galaxies both classify roughly 30% of our sample as strongly barred. Thus strong bars are nearly twice as prevalent in the H-band as in the optical. Roughly 40% of the galaxies in our sample that are classified as unbarred in the RC3 show evidence for a bar in the H-band; for the Carnegie Atlas the fraction is roughly 60%. We find no significant trend in bar fraction as a function of morphology, in either the optical or H-band.
- de Vaucouleurs, G., de Vaucouleurs, A., Corwin, H.G., Buta, R.J., Paturel, G., Fouqué, P. (1991) Third Reference Catalogue of Bright Galaxies. Springer-Verlag, New York (RC3)
- Eskridge, P.B., Frogel, J.A., Pogge, R.W., Quillen, A.C., Davies, R.L., DePoy, D.L., Houdashelt, M.L., Kuchinski, L.E., Ramírez, S.V., Sellgren, K., Terndrup, D.M., Tiede, G.P. (2000) Astron. J. 119: pp. 536 CrossRef
- Eskridge, P.B., et al.: 2000b, in preparation.
- Frogel, J.A., Quillen, A.C., Pogge, R.W. In: Block, D., Greenberg, J.M. eds. (1996) New Extragalactic Perspectives in the New South Africa. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrechtpp. 65
- Hackwell, J.A., Schweizer, F. (1983) Astrophys. J. 265: pp. 643 CrossRef
- Sandage, A., Bedke, J. (1994) The Carnegie Atlas of Galaxies. Carnegie Institute of Washington, Washington DC (CAG)
- Sellwood, J.A., Wilkinson, A. (1993) Rep. Prog. Phys. 56: pp. 173 CrossRef
- What is the True Fraction of Barred Spiral Galaxies?
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 269-270, Issue 0 , pp 427-430
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors