Individualism/Collectivism Orientations and Reactions Toward Alternative Human Resource Management Practices
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this study, we examined the relationship between individualism collectivism orientations of potential job seekers and their reactions toward alternative human resource management (HRM) practices in the areas of selection, performance appraisal, reward system, career system, and employment security. Using several subdimensions of individualism collectivism, we found many significant relationships between individualism collectivism orientations and preferences for alternative human resource management practices that might affect the effectiveness of alternative HRM practices.
- Adler, N. J., & Jelinek, M. Is “organization culture” culture bound? Human Resource Management, 1990, 25, 73–90.
- Bernardin, J. H., & Russell, J. E. A. Human resou rce managemen t: An experiential approach.New York: McGraw-Hill, 1993.
- Bretz, R. D., Milkovich, G. T., & Read, W. The current state of performance appraisal research and practice: Concerns, directions, and implications. Journal of Management, 1992, 18, 321–352.
- Carroll, S. J., & Schneier, C. E. Performance appraisal and review systems: The identification, measurem ent and development of performance in organizations. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman, 1981.
- Cox, T. H. Cultural diversity in organizations: Theory, research, and practice. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler, 1993.
- Cox, T. H., Loebel, S. A., & McLeod, P. L. Effects of e thnic group cultural differences on cooperative and compe titive behavior in a group task. Academ y of Management Journal, 1991, 34, 827–847.
- Erez, M., & Earley, P. C. Culture, self-identity, and work. London: Oxford, 1993.
- Ghiselli, E. E. Explorations in managerial talent.Pacific Palisades, CA: Goodyear Publishing Company, 1971.
- Gomez-Mejia, L. R., & Welbourne, T. Compensation strategies in a global context. Human Resource Planning, 1991, 14, 29–41.
- Hofstede, G. Cultures consequ ences: International differences in work-related values.Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1980.
- Hofstede, G. Cultural dimensions in management and planning. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 1984, 1, 81–99.
- Kagitcibasi, C. A critical appraisal of individualism and collectivism: Toward a new formulation. In U. Kim, H. C. Triandis, C. Kagitcibasi, S. Choi, and G. Yoon, (Eds.), Individualism and collectivism: Theory, method and applications. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1994.
- Ketchum, L. D., & Trist, E. All teams are not created equal: How employee empowerment really works? Newbury Park, CA: Sage, 1992.
- Kim, I. K., Park, H., & Suzuki, N. Reward allocations in the United States, Japan, and Korea: A comparison of individualistic and collectivistic cultures. Academy of Management Journal, 1990, 33, 188–198.
- Lawler, E. E. The ultimate advan tage: Creating the high-in volvement organization. San Francisco, CA: Josey-Bass, 1992.
- Manz, C. C., & Sims, H. P. Business without bosses: How self-managing teams are building high performing companies. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1993.
- Milkovich, G. T., & Newman, J. M. Compensation (3rd ed.). Homewood, IL: BPI/Irwin, 1990.
- Murphy, K. R., & Cleveland, J. N. Performance appraisal: An organizational perspective.Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon, 1991.
- Nash, A. N., & Carroll, S. J. The managem ent of compen sation. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, 1975.
- Pucik, V., & Katz, J. H. Information, control, and human resource manageme nt in multinational firms. Human Resou rce Management, 1986, 25, 121–132.
- Schneider, B. Interactional psychology and organizational behavior. Research in Organizational Behavior, 1983, 5, 1–31.
- Schwartz, S. H. Beyond individualism/collectivism: New cultural dimensions of values. In U. Kim, H. C. Triandis, C. Kagitcibasi, S. Choi, and G. Yoon, (Eds.), Individu alism and collectivism: Theory, method and applications. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1994.
- Sekaran, U., & Snodgrass, C. R. A model for examining organizational e ffectiveness cross-culturally. Advances in In ternational Comparative Managem ent, 1986, 2, 211–232.
- Taylor, M. S. American managers in Japane se subsidiaries: How cultural differences are affecting the work place. Human Resource Plan ning, 1991, 14, 43–49.
- Triandis, H. C. Theore tical and methodological approaches to the study of collectivism and individualism. In U. Kim, H. C. Triandis, C. Kagitcibasi, S. Choi, and G. Yoon, (Eds.), Individualism and collectivism: Theory, method and application s. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, 1994.
- Triandis, H. C., McCusker, C., & Hui, H. C. Multimethod probes of individualism and collectivism. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1990, 59, 1006–1020.
- Wagner, J. A. Studies of individualism-collectivism: Effects on cooperation in groups. Academy of Managem en t Journal, 1995, 38, 152–172.
- Individualism/Collectivism Orientations and Reactions Toward Alternative Human Resource Management Practices
Volume 51, Issue 5 , pp 571-588
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES
- HRM/COLLECTIVISM “fit”