The relationship of personality dimensions as measured by the temperament and character inventory and quality of life in individuals with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder living in the community
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The influence of personality factors on the appraisal of subjective quality of life in individuals with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder is not much investigated. The present study examined this relationship in a sample of 104 patients living in the community. The temperament and character inventory was used to assess personality and the Lancashire quality of life profile was used to assess quality of life. The results showed that lower levels of harm avoidance and higher levels of self-directedness were significantly correlated to a better subjective quality of life. Regression analyses controlling for psychopathology revealed that a higher level of self-directedness was significantly associated with a better subjective quality in all aspects measured and explained the variance in the latter in the range of 4–12%. It is concluded that personality factors are involved in severely mentally ill individuals' assessment of their quality of life and should be accounted for in evaluations of quality of life assessments. The strength and directions of this influence require further studies.
- Renwrick R, Brown I, Nagler M (eds). Quality of Life in Health Promotion and Rehabilitation. Conceptual Approaches, Issues and Applications, Thousand Oaks: Sage, 1996.
- Farquahar M. Definitions of quality of life: A taxonomy. J Adv Nursing 1995; 22: 502-508. CrossRef
- Lauer G. Concepts of quality of life in mental health care. In: Priebe S, Oliver JP, Kaiser W (eds), Quality of Life and Mental Health Care, Petersfield UK: Wrightson Biomedical Publishing, 1999: 1-18.
- Oliver JP, Huxley PJ, Priebe S, et al. Measuring the quality of life of severely mentally ill people using the Lancashire quality of life profile. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 1997; 32: 76-83. CrossRef
- Bobes J, Gonzáles MP. Quality of life in schizophrenia. In: Katschnig H, Freeman H, Sartorius N (eds), Quality of Life in Mental Disorders. Chichester, England: Wiley & Sons, 1997: 165-178.
- Corrigan PW, Buican B. The construct validity of subjective quality of life for the severely mentally ill. J Nerv Ment Dis 1995; 183: 281-285. CrossRef
- Dickerson FB, Ringel NB, Parente F. Subjective quality of life in outpatients with schizophrenia: clinical and utilization correlates. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1998; 98: 124-127.
- Browne S, Roe M, Lane A, et al. Quality of life in schizophrenia: Relationship to sociodemographic factors, symptomathology and tardive dyskinesia. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1996; 94: 118-124.
- Barry MM, Zissi A. Quality of life as an outcome measure in evaluating mental health services: A review of the empirical evidence. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 1997; 32: 38-47. CrossRef
- Kentros MK, Terkelsen K, Hull J, Smith TE, Goodman M. The relationship between personality and quality of life in persons with schizoaffective disorder and schizophrenia. Qual Life Res 1997; 6: 118-122. CrossRef
- Barry MM. Well-being and life satisfaction as components of quality of life in mental disorders. In: Katschnig H, Freeman H, Sartorius N (eds), Quality of Life in Mental Disorders, Chichester, England: Wiley & Sons, 1997: 31-42.
- Zissi A, Barry MM, Cochrane R. A mediational model of quality of life for individuals with severe mental health problems. Psychol Med 1998; 28: 1221-1230. CrossRef
- Hansson L, Middelboe T, Merinder L, et al. Predictors of subjective quality of life in schizophrenic patients living in the community. A Nordic multicentre study. Int J Soc Psychiatry 1999; 45: 247-258.
- Cloninger CR. A systematic method for clinical description and classification of personality variants. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1987; 44: 573-588.
- Cloninger CR, Svrakic DM, Przybeck TR. A psychobiological model of temperament and character. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1993; 50: 975-990.
- Cloninger CR. The genetics and psychobiology of the seven-factor model of personality. In: Silk KR (ed), Biology of Personality Disorders, Washington DC: American Psychiatric Press, 1998; 63-92.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV). 4th ed. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
- Bengtsson-Tops A, Hansson L. Subjective quality of life in schizophrenic patients living in the community. Relationship to clinical and social characteristics. Eur Psychiatry 1999; 14: 264-269. CrossRef
- Bengtsson-Tops A, Hansson L. Clinical and social needs of schizophrenic outpatients. Relationship of needs and subjective quality of life. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 1999; 34: 513-518. CrossRef
- Cloninger CR, Przybeck TR, Svrakic DM, Wetzel RM. The Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI): A Guide to its Development and Use. St. Louis [MO]: Center for Psychobiology of Personality, Washington University, 1994
- Oliver J, Huxley P, Bridges K, Mohamad H. Quality of Life and Mental health services. London: Routledge, 1996.
- Oliver JP, Huxley PJ, Priebe S, Kaiser W. Measuring the quality of life of severely mentally ill people using the Lancashire quality of life profile. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 1997; 32: 76-83. CrossRef
- Hansson L, Svensson B, Björkman T. Quality of life of the mentally ill. Reliability of the Swedish version of the Lancashire quality of life profile. Eur Psychiatry 1998; 13: 231-234. CrossRef
- van Nieuwenhuizen C, Schene A, Boewink W, Wolf J. The Lancashire quality of life profile: First experiences in the Netherlands. Comm Ment Health J 1998; 34: 513-524. CrossRef
- Kolakowska T. The Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale. Oxford: Oxford University, 1976.
- Andersen J, Larsen JK, Schultz V, et al. The brief psychiatric rating scale. Dimension of schizophrenia — reliability and construct validity. Psychopathology 1989; 22: 168-176. CrossRef
- Norusis MS. SPSS for Windows 9.0. Spss Inc, Chicago, 1999.
- The relationship of personality dimensions as measured by the temperament and character inventory and quality of life in individuals with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder living in the community
Quality of Life Research
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 133-139
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Quality of life
- Industry Sectors